Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to poly a deck that needs a little tlc. The last time it was polyurathated the client said it was discolored in areas b/c of improper prepping. I was going to powerwash it and put down some Jomax, Simple Green and Bleach. Question:

Do I have to sand (scratch up the whole deck)???? Kind of tedious

or

Is there a product out that you can brush or spray on to take off the original finish???? I heard SW has a product. Does anyone have the name or an other suggestions??

· FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
ok...I'll bite

my thoughts we're that jomax/simple green/bleach is overkill or not necessary-I usually only do jomax/bleach for siding and more of a 'deck cleaner' for decks

there are a few guys in here who specialize more in deck washing/sealing that may step in soon

I'm no expert on decking, so I'll stop here for now

· Registered
5,097 Posts
Never,ever, ever put any type of urethane on a deck. Moisture vapor cannot transmit through the coating.. the end result is always peeling and eventually wood rot. Strip that crap off of there using a sodium hydroxide based stripper (its going to be wicked to remove) and follow with a pH balancing acidic treament (mandatory after using a caustic) and lay down a semi transparent, oil based penetrating sealer tinted to the customer's preference.

If you do not remove this and start fresh you will be on a constant losing cycle of trying to perfomr maintenance. You'll never stay ahead of that game. As more coatings go down, the condition of the wood will deteriorarte more rapidly.

Bleach: Not good for wood. The debate can go on and on professionally but I have seen cross sections of wood under a microscope while doing research developing a new stain line and if its cleaned with bleach the fibers end up very tangled.. almost clogged if you will. This can make finished blotchy and in my opinion is part of the reason people need to constantly keep restaining their decks after a short period. A sopdium percarbonate based cleaner/light stripper makes a far superior choice as it is more eco freindly and less damaging to the wood over the long haul.

4,698 Posts
Strip that crap off of there using a sodium hydroxide based stripper (its going to be wicked to remove)
If you do not remove this and start fresh you will be on a constant losing cycle of trying to perfomr maintenance. You'll never stay ahead of that game. As more coatings go down, the condition of the wood will deteriorarte more rapidly.

Would it be easier just to replace the wood and start fresh?

· Registered
5,097 Posts
Man, I need to start using the spell checker. Tim, replacement wouldn't be as cost effective. You could charge $3 per s/f to clean versus say $10 to R&R and still be nicely profitable. It just takes the right chemical to strip the poly off. Some are nasty and would require methylene chloride which is just plain nasty. If someone went the route of using that chemical I would recommend a full body chem suit and compliant respirator. Using a sodium hydroxide stripper you just have to wear a face shield, 19" gloves and long pants. But you know its like anything we do, especially the guys that do exterior paints. If you are willing to bounce a 28' ladder to reach and a corner, you can apply the sodium hydro stripper in shorts and a tank top.

· Rock On
2,451 Posts
I need to poly a deck....
Oh you do not want to do that

Use a multi-step system from Cabots/BenMoore/Etc... to strip/remove/clean whatever is on there now, then use the system's brightener if need be, then use the system's stain/sealer

No poly please

· Super Moderator
9,540 Posts
I know every one says not to use bleach on decks, but I just have not found a deck cleaner that brightens and kills mildew like a bleach solution will. Any specific product to try? I would really like to lose the bleach this year if I could. so far, the best I have been able to do is Jomax and bleach, which allows me to use less bleach than a bleach/water only mix.

· Flog a Mocker
1,493 Posts
I know every one says not to use bleach on decks, but I just have not found a deck cleaner that brightens and kills mildew like a bleach solution will. Any specific product to try? I would really like to lose the bleach this year if I could. so far, the best I have been able to do is Jomax and bleach, which allows me to use less bleach than a bleach/water only mix.
Unless you are going to do more than one just buy something prepackaged -

Restore-A-Deck
http://www.restore-a-deck.com/index.html

· Rock On
2,451 Posts
I just have not found a deck cleaner that brightens and kills mildew like a bleach solution will. Any specific product to try? I would really like to lose the bleach this year if I could.
I'll use the Bleach/Jomax if needed (mold mildew)
It's not that bad, really
Then the Cleaner (I tend to use Cabots), or just the Cleaner if I didn't need the Jomax
Then the Brightener...if needed

So I use the Jomax/Bleach as little as possible
It's a big concern with many H/Os
It's a big thing out here with the water and all (basically I'm on an island)

It's kind of silly as the amount of bleach you mix with Jomax for your average deck out here isn't 1/10th of what they'd dump directly into your well if you were having bacteria issues...(they first attempt anyway, if that didn't cut it they'd dump even more in)
But hey, it's a concern

I've got some samples of a non-bleach mildecide to test this spring
If it works I'll use a ton of it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.