Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I've provided references upon request. Right now I'm compiling as list that I will present to everybody whether they ask for it or not. I'm really just wondering what seems appropriate as far a presentation.

1) Should it say Tom Smith, T. Smith, or Tom S? What is appropriate? Should I ask my customers their preferences?

2) I was thinking that I'd present the list and tell them that they can write down any name/number on it and feel free to call. I was thinking I would then take the list with me when I leave. I don't know what it it, but there's something that seems inappropriate about leaving a list of all my customer's names and numbers with someone I'm meeting for the first time. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mack

· Registered
725 Posts
I've heard of companies doing this, but I'm in the same boat as you, it feels weird to give out your customers info to everyone you meet. I like to tell them that if they require references i'll be happy to give out, thats typically enough for most people. btw they almost never call anyway. Oh and you may as well give the whole name once you give out there phone number. but not there social security number. lol

· FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
What is appropriate? Should I ask my customers their preferences?
You answered your own question...ask your customers.

I personally don't believe in giving last names. To me, a first name and a number is fine.

A reference is just to verify that you do good work and conduct yourself as a responsible businessperson. The last name or address becomes unneccesary IMO.

· Registered
14,407 Posts
Nice post GM. I have been looking at this same issue as I try to improve on the presentation aspect. I definitely don't do last names. With customer permission I provide the following:

Andrea N., Middletown, 877-1223

I am trying to provide only the numbers of the most similar jobs in their general area. Chances are we have painted three other stairways within 30 miles of this lead. I will give those three numbers. I also would be reluctant to leave my entire customer base and contact info with a new customer. When their brother in law gets laid off next month and decides to become a painter, he would have a great bunch of customers to start cold calling.

· Registered
4,540 Posts
most of my clients tell me to use them as a refernce, and I put their name and adress and telephone number on a refernce sheet. Been doing this as long as I have been Painting. This comes with every est package I leave with the prospect.

The other way I have considered is A job completion form wich the client fills out and that becomes the refernce sheet. With the clients permission. Wich would be included in the est package

Gmack when you make those calls, I bet your clients will be more then happy to help you out. They may only want to let you use a work number or something. Let us know.

dave mac

4,698 Posts
Even though i am never asked for refernces, i will ask a customer if it is ok to use them as one.I have a list just incase i need to use it. Example
Jane Doe
Doctor
123-456-7890

John Smith
V.P. National City Bank
123-456-7890

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.