Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to find out if any pro cabinet refinishers have been exploring alternatives to bin or SW shellacs for a primer base since the price has been so ridiculous?? I feel like I already know the response but figured this would be a solid place to find out if anyones doing anything different.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Curious to find out if any pro cabinet refinishers have been exploring alternatives to bin or SW shellacs for a primer base since the price has been so ridiculous?? I feel like I already know the response but figured this would be a solid place to find out if anyones doing anything different.
Centurion Vinyl sealer or any number of water base urethane products out there

·
Registered
PPG & BM Dealer
24 Posts
I feel like it was more than that. Last year my price for Regal (for example) was about 30% lower than it is now but maybe I’m just remembering that incorrectly. Sure feels like more than a 12% increase…
Ben Moore had 2 price increases in the past year, one back in January that was about 10% on average and another one just in August that was another 10-11% on average.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I refuse to use BIN shellac because they squeeze bums of the female lac bugs in the forests of India and Thailand to get the resin secretions from their bums.
I don't think this is a very humane way to make profits.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
I refuse to use BIN shellac because they squeeze bums of the female lac bugs in the forests of India and Thailand to get the resin secretions from their bums.
I don't think this is a very humane way to make profits.
Forever Chemicals found in 98% American’s blood. Shellac is at least non-toxic.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The future is biodegradable resins produced from bacteria and yeasts, unfortunately until our oil baron masters pass along were doomed for several generations
So the more powerful bacterias and yeast can eat them.
No, thanks, I better stick to the old true oil baron masters formulas.
Same as some dumb genius decided to replace electrical cables shields in super expensive cars with new generation of "rasins" , replacing the old and proven
oil based formulas, and now they are finding out that the six figures $$$ car's electrical cables are being eaten by rodents, because they are so vegan and very tasty.
No thanks.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
So the more powerful bacterias and yeast can eat them.
No, thanks, I better stick to the old true oil baron masters formulas.
Same as some dumb genius decided to replace electrical cables shields in super expensive cars with new generation of "rasins" , replacing the old and proven
oil based formulas, and now they are finding out that the six figures $$$ car's electrical cables are being eaten by rodents, because they are so vegan and very tasty.
No thanks.
I wonder where you think insulin comes from. Like it or not 10 years from now petroleum derived products will be on their way out the door.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wonder where you think insulin comes from. Like it or not 10 years from now petroleum derived products will be on their way out the door.
Yes, I understand that and I agree with it, but care must be taken not to replace things without doing deep research of the new chemicals if they really will be that much better.
Remember the CFL light bulbs, (Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs), they got introduced to the market as planet savers, yet very quickly after few short years they got discontinued
because they were not that "environmentally friendly" after all, because of mercury in them, and they were literally exploding in many cases.
I had one exploded in my face 3 feet away from it after I turned the switch On.
And after that the research into LED light bulbs went into overdrive, and that is a much better technology than the CFL.

Let's hope that the biodegradable resins produced from bacteria and yeasts will get really good long term testings done on them before they get introduced to the market,
so we don't end up with some nasty health problems or performance issues after few years of them being applied in our homes.

As per my example with the soy based electrical wires in cars, here are more details on it:

Brian Kabateck is taking on Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., over the issue.
The Los Angeles attorney is involved in a class-action lawsuit filed on behalf of Albert Heber of Indiana, whose 2012 Tundra had its soy-based insulated wiring chewed through by rodents three times, the first in 2013.
Total damages were about $1,500 — damages that Kabateck said Toyota wouldn't cover under warranty.

"Our contention, why soy is certainly — it's laudable — they're trying to be more green, at the same time, it's becoming a potential food product for rats,"
Kabateck told the Free Press, adding that he believes rats find it "delicious."
Kabateck said once it started its investigation, it learned that Toyota and some other vehicle manufacturers started using a soy-based product as an insulation for wiring under the hood about a decade ago, probably in an effort to make vehicles more green and to get rid of older-style, petroleum-based wiring insulation.

He said he has heard that in the past, rats periodically chewed through wires in vehicles for nesting materials and to sharpen their teeth.
But, he said, "we think the addition of soy in the insulation has taken the episode of rats chewing through the wires through the roof."

Fluorescent lamp Gas Electric blue Electrical supply Compact fluorescent lamp

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Yes, I understand that and I agree with it, but care must be taken not to replace things without doing deep research of the new chemicals if they really will be that much better.
Remember the CFL light bulbs, (Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs), they got introduced to the market as planet savers, yet very quickly after few short years they got discontinued
because they were not that "environmentally friendly" after all, because of mercury in them, and they were literally exploding in many cases.
I had one exploded in my face 3 feet away from it after I turned the switch On.
And after that the research into LED light bulbs went into overdrive, and that is a much better technology than the CFL.

Let's hope that the biodegradable resins produced from bacteria and yeasts will get really good long term testings done on them before they get introduced to the market,
so we don't end up with some nasty health problems or performance issues after few years of them being applied in our homes.

As per my example with the soy based electrical wires in cars, here are more details on it:

Brian Kabateck is taking on Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., over the issue.
The Los Angeles attorney is involved in a class-action lawsuit filed on behalf of Albert Heber of Indiana, whose 2012 Tundra had its soy-based insulated wiring chewed through by rodents three times, the first in 2013.
Total damages were about $1,500 — damages that Kabateck said Toyota wouldn't cover under warranty.

"Our contention, why soy is certainly — it's laudable — they're trying to be more green, at the same time, it's becoming a potential food product for rats,"
Kabateck told the Free Press, adding that he believes rats find it "delicious."
Kabateck said once it started its investigation, it learned that Toyota and some other vehicle manufacturers started using a soy-based product as an insulation for wiring under the hood about a decade ago, probably in an effort to make vehicles more green and to get rid of older-style, petroleum-based wiring insulation.

He said he has heard that in the past, rats periodically chewed through wires in vehicles for nesting materials and to sharpen their teeth.
But, he said, "we think the addition of soy in the insulation has taken the episode of rats chewing through the wires through the roof."
The modern LED is the product of basically one guy stumbling upon a breakthrough in blue diodes otherwise we would still be using CFL or some variation.

The switch to different wire insulation was probably some actuary saving a fraction of a penny per lb highly doubt any car companies being 'green'

1 - 20 of 22 Posts