Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Mornin' Fellas,

I would like to start off by saying that this is a great forum. On top of that this particular thread is very infomative. My question for you guys is, where do you find out the particular price range for your area. It has been discussed in the thread that different areas have different markets, and I believe that to be true, but how does one go about finding out what the playing field looks like for their area? I am curious because I am currently laid off from the construction industry and I am seriously contemplating starting my own painting business. I have over three years painting experience, but I have always been on the other end of the equation so to speak. I have never actually dealt with bidding jobs or closing sales. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

· Registered
4 Posts
I have worked for several painting contractors. I started my painting career in June of 2005 working for Swanson & Youngdale, a fairly large painting contractor in Minnesota, as a member of the IUPAT. Most of the work that I have done has been commercial work, but I also have a bit of experience doing residential side jobs. I have never acutally bid anything though. Thats the most scary part. I am comfortable handling the actuall painting and prep, or physical aspect of this, its the closing and bidding aspect and marketing that is a little worrysome. The side work that I have done was to help out friends and family with projects that they took on, so I never had to worry about any bidding or paperwork.

I have two kids at home and I have been on the bench for about 4 months now and I feel like its time to do something myself. The commercial aspect of construction has basically shut down in my area and with the kids and wife, I cant travel too far away. Thats why I am here, I hope to learn and gain enough knowledge to be able to sustain a fair income for my family or possibly more. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Even if you can point me to threads that have already been posted. I am looking through the site, but there is so much information out there that its hard to weed through it all.

Thanks,

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts