Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

· Registered
Painter
4 Posts
I know guys in Houston who swear that nobody will pay more than $25 an hour for a painter. To them, $25 an hour is the going rate or market price. At the same time, I can cite many contractors in Houston getting $40 to $55 an hour in Houston. How can this be, if the going rate is $25? Clearly, the going rate is not $25. More to the point, there is no going rate.
That is exactly what "market price" means, FYI.

· Registered
14 Posts
How do you figure your hourly rate if you don't include labor costs and overhead? And how will you have anything left over--profit--if you don't include that?

These are rhetorical questions, because nobody can accurately and properly figure their hourly rate if they don't include labor, overhead, and profit. And by accurate and proper, I mean an hourly rate that allows you to make a decent wage and have money left to grow your business.

Brian Phillips
I charge $400 a day for labor not including paint and materials and bid jobs based on how many days to complete. So my rate per hour is $50 sometimes I work 10 or 12 hours a day when I'm extremely busy. So the rate varies. I'm not great at estimating jobs, hell, im probly not even good. if I'm not sure about how long something will take I add an extra day to the price to be safe. I need to make 2k a month just to cover all my business expenses.Work is never consistent. I charge 50 an hour because I'm under the impression that it's on the higher end of what a painters make in my area. I'm just hoping I can make enough to get me through another winter. I'll probly be out of business in 5 years if I don't figure out a better way, but that's why I'm here, to learn. Until now, i didnt know that labor and profit were 2 different things. Can you Please breakdown how to calculate overhead and profit into a price? Give a hypothetical please?

· Banned
32 Posts
I charge $400 a day for labor not including paint and materials and bid jobs based on how many days to complete. So my rate per hour is $50 sometimes I work 10 or 12 hours a day when I'm extremely busy. So the rate varies. I'm not great at estimating jobs, hell, im probly not even good. if I'm not sure about how long something will take I add an extra day to the price to be safe. I need to make 2k a month just to cover all my business expenses.Work is never consistent. I charge 50 an hour because I'm under the impression that it's on the higher end of what a painters make in my area. I'm just hoping I can make enough to get me through another winter. I'll probly be out of business in 5 years if I don't figure out a better way, but that's why I'm here, to learn. Until now, i didnt know that labor and profit were 2 different things. Can you Please breakdown how to calculate overhead and profit into a price? Give a hypothetical please?
What the hell are you spending 2k a month on?

· Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,889 Posts
Search his previous posts. He goes into greater detail. As an aside, I can't imagine $50/hr being on the high side for any legit painting company. Good on you for taking the time to better understand. I bet I've read most of Brian's posts 2-3 times over the last 13 years and learned quite a bit from doing so.

· Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,340 Posts
To the OP; more details and maybe some close up photos showing the condition of the siding would be helpful. Not much to go on so far.

· Registered
3 Posts
I don’t have up close pics it was built in 2018 so most of it is still very good. Very minimal caulking or repairs. Im hoping to be able to use three guys to do it. One coat only change is remove shutters and discard.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts