Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been doing epoxy flooring installations for a company in the midwest for over 2 years now and have come into an opportunity that i don't think i can pass up. A company has come to my boss and asked if he would price out a decorative double broadcast epoxy floor with integral base for them. For some reason or the other he decided to let me have the entire job if i wanted to go for it on the side. I am willing to do it, but there is a problem. I have never bid anything myself and have no idea what a reasonable price would be to do the job. The job is around 2200 sf with around 500 lf of covebase. Materials will be provided, all i have to bring is install consumables. I was thinking around $3.00 per sf but have no idea if this is reasonable or not, does anyone have any input as to whether this is high or low?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, we are a union company, and this would be side work for me the pricing would be a lot lower for me to do it, I'm just not sure how much lower.

·
Super Moderator
6,465 Posts
I got two thing for ya:

1. Forget about the "going price" or a "reasonable rate." If you have been doing this for a couple years, you know how long it should take you to do it. Figure it that way, by an hourly or daily rate. Example - if it will take you 100 hours, and you want $30 an hour, then the price is $3000. If it will take you 4 days, and you want $400 a day, then it will be $1600. Etc etc.

2. Isn't it against the whole principle of the unions in doing "side jobs?" Won't you be taking work away from your other union brothers? Oh the hypocrisy...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts