Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, although i have been using this site for a couple months now and have found some very useful information.

I have been painting for over 15 years and have just recently (after moving to a new area) decided to start my own painting company, something I have been doing on the side for the last 6 years. I know enough to know that I still have alot to learn and am looking forwars to being a member of this community.

When Im bidding a paint project I'm often asked to do small (minor) drywall repairs, such as re-taping split seams or cracks, skimcoats after wall paper removal and small piece work. I am looking for some general information on how to price this stuff out

I know alot has been said on this topic here and in other forums, but the answers usually apply to hanging/finishing large areas where the price is given in either sqft. or per board. This really does'nt compute if i am just cutting out and replacing 2x2 piece where someone as put thier fist through the wall. I have had the opportunity to moonlight with a contractor who was also master drywaller, after which i would not even consider myself to be a profesional drywaller when compared to his work, but i can do patchwork and make my seams dissapear even is it takes an extra coat, a little sanding and a little more time.

Here are some examples of what I want to be able to price out:

1. A doorway that had been closed up and was either poorly taped or not taped at all, leaving a crack where the jam once was. Total linear ft to be taped is about 17ft on each side of the wall.

2. A 144 sqft room that needs to be skim coated after home owner removed wallpaper.

3. Small piece work to repair damaged drywall.

As I said above these are in addition to larger painting projects but I'm never really sure what to charge. I dont typicall like to charge hourly, so i am wondering if anyone has a method base on linear ft for 1 and 3 and sqft for 2.

thanks

matt

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
Can't help you with the pricing /sf.

I always priced it in with the job I was doing and I rarely had any job just doing patching. It was always accompanied with other painting.

I think it would be difficult to price it by linear ft because just like painting, there are too many different factors depending on the job.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, although i have been using this site for a couple months now and have found some very useful information.

I have been painting for over 15 years and have just recently (after moving to a new area) decided to start my own painting company, something I have been doing on the side for the last 6 years. I know enough to know that I still have alot to learn and am looking forwars to being a member of this community.

I am looking for some general information on how to price out small (minor)drywall repairs, such as re-taping split seams, skimcoats and small piece work.

I know alot has been said on this topic here and in other forums, but the answers usually apply to hanging/finishing large areas where the price is given in either sqft. or per board. This really does'nt compute if i am just cutting out and replacing 2x2 piece where someone as put thier fist through the wall. I have had the opportunity to moonlight with a contractor who was also master drywaller, after which i would not even consider myself to be a profesional drywaller when compared to his work, but i can do patchwork and make my seams dissapear even is it takes an extra coat, a little sanding and a little more time.

Here are some examples of what I want to be able to price out:

1. A doorway that had been closed up and was either poorly taped or not taped at all, leaving a crack where the jam once was. Total linear ft to be taped is about 17ft on each side of the wall.

2. A 4x8 area that had a bulletin board that was glued directly to the wall and tore off the top layer of paper when removed. Took 2 coats of compound plus a quick skim coat to smooth out completly.

3. Small piece work to repar damaged drywall.

I dont typicall like to charge hourly, so i am wondering if anyone has a method base on linear ft for 1 and 3 and sqft for 2.

thanks

matt
no real formula i just know what i can do,sounds like around $100-$150.....depends how far u gotta go to get there and if it can be done on one trip which it looks like it can

·
Registered
164 Posts
I charge T&M for drywall repairs. I tell my costumers strait up that I am a painter that can do drywall repairs. I will not be as fast as a dry waller doing them but when I am done they will be done right and I will do all of them. Never has a customer complained at the additional cost.

·
Banned
3,745 Posts
U goota go t and m and be generouse to yourself on both. Little taping jobs kill ur production. Put them on the clock evry time you make a pass on the taping. Probably four passas rt? Probably bout an hour a pass. Probably bout an hour the first and last and bout 20 - 30 min for the other two but that's 4 hours . If u use half of a bag of easy sand twenty it's a hole bag. If ur on their clock n they want u to fix this n that a little bit more n repaint it no problem ur gettin paid.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
if you go off another's numbers.. good luck surviving.

Come on man.. you don't know how to figure something out and you have been in the game for 15yrs?

Me smells homeowner or some type of building manager..
your just a rookie pal......looks like about 2 hours worth of work there buddy,add in a little time to break out the ole heat gun to expedite the drying time and you may have three (but i doubt it)...of course this is for cash also,
this is just for repair not painting anything.......if your first sentence wasn't directed towards me disregard this post,,,,,,,:thumbsup:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Come on man.. you don't know how to figure something out and you have been in the game for 15yrs?

Me smells homeowner or some type of building manager..

As stated in my original post, I have only been doing my own side work for 6 years and have just recently decided to go on my own full-time. My question was specifically about drywall, not painting, and when i was making peanuts to fill screw holes for a real drywaller, I didnt think to ask him how he was pricing his jobs or even thinking about having my own business.

I realize alot of guys get slammed for asking similar questions, but I am just trying to devolope some consistancy in my pricing. I dont want to cheat myself or lose a bid because the drywall work was to high. Just wanted to know what others were doing.

Thanks Oden and Laz for your responses.

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
As stated in my original post, I have only been doing my own side work for 6 years and have just recently decided to go on my own full-time. My question was specifically about drywall, not painting, and when i was making peanuts to fill screw holes for a real drywaller, I didnt think to ask him how he was pricing his jobs or even thinking about having my own business.

I realize alot of guys get slammed for asking similar questions, but I am just trying to devolope some consistancy in my pricing. I dont want to cheat myself or lose a bid because the drywall work was to high. Just wanted to know what others were doing.

Thanks Oden and Laz for your responses.
Same ol' stuff

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The examples in my post are just examples. These are things I have already done and got paid for. it just seems like im always guessing how long i think its gonna take and just wanted to know if anyone has a more consistant pricing method.

Ill be the first to admit that im greener than a toad butt when it comes to the business end of things. Thats why im trying to learn. I've spent alot of nights and weekends making less than i was getting paid at my job and now that im doing this full time I cant afford to be undercharging.

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
The examples in my post are just examples. These are things I have already done and got paid for. it just seems like im always guessing how long i think its gonna take and just wanted to know if anyone has a more consistant pricing method.

Ill be the first to admit that im greener than a toad butt when it comes to the business end of things. Thats why im trying to learn. I've spent alot of nights and weekends making less than i was getting paid at my job and now that im doing this full time I cant afford to be undercharging.
If you don't know how long it's going to take you, how are we supposed to know?

·
Delco, Pa
1,176 Posts
Pretty simple:
1. Estimate how long the job will take and multiply that by what you want to make per hour.
2. Estimate the material cost.
3. Add #1 to #2.
That's a family secret passed down from generations.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First off, let me just say i respect anyone who took the time to read and respond to my question, wether your just bustin balls or you really think im an idiot for asking it.

But lets simplify things.

theres a 20ft crack running the length of somones cieling and they want you to tape it. Nevermind how it got there or wether it crack agoain 5 years from now.

Does anyone have way of pricing this based on linear ft and not estimated hours.

i am willing to accept that no one does this, I just wanna know

·
Registered
633 Posts
Time and materials usually works. I know there is plenty of time wasted allowing for the mud to dry so if you are not working someplace else on the same job you should take into consideration the time spent watching the stuff set-up.

·
Painting & More
564 Posts
First off, let me just say i respect anyone who took the time to read and respond to my question, wether your just bustin balls or you really think im an idiot for asking it.

But lets simplify things.

theres a 20ft crack running the length of somones cieling and they want you to tape it. Nevermind how it got there or wether it crack agoain 5 years from now.

Does anyone have way of pricing this based on linear ft and not estimated hours.

i am willing to accept that no one does this, I just wanna know
I will jump in on this fun fest since I just dealt with this myself recently.

I don't feel comfortable fixing drywall. I have actually passed on bidding jobs because of all the fixes involved.

You admitted you were experienced to a degree. Way over-estimate your time and how much the hassle of doing the repair is worth.

Example-I know what I like to get a day, so I figure this hassle will take 2-3 passes minimum. Cut-out drywall and frame-in new, initial tape and float, sand and maybe float again, texturing if it has to be textured. Like to prime new drywall too. THEN I can paint the area at my regular rate.

If you get 300 a day, I'd charge $150 plus mat. If you are having to go just to work it after it dries, I'd charge more.

I'm not afraid to talk dollars with you. I know all across the US money is different. I cut out an 18X30 inch piece from a ceiling and put in some extra 2x4 pieces, then taped it. Swung by a day later at my convenience and lightly floated it again since I set the new piece a little deep.
Yesterday, I sanded and shot texture and knocked-down. They wanted to paint it themselves and are pretty handy around their house.

The bill? $185 I used scrap lumber, drywall and some mud I had. Roughly 4 hours including set-up and clean-up.

I must say, if this were spring or summer when I am buried with work, I may not have even done this job, but indoor work is important in Feb.

I hope this helps. Don't let those old fogies scare you with their venomous keystrokes.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm not afraid to talk dollars with you. I know all across the US money is different. I cut out an 18X30 inch piece from a ceiling and put in some extra 2x4 pieces, then taped it. Swung by a day later at my convenience and lightly floated it again since I set the new piece a little deep.
Yesterday, I sanded and shot texture and knocked-down. They wanted to paint it themselves and are pretty handy around their house.

The bill? $185 I used scrap lumber, drywall and some mud I had. Roughly 4 hours including set-up and clean-up.
That's a lot of work for $185. I would say 2x that is par in my neck of the woods

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have made some major changes in our billing. My hourly rate includes all my overhead and profit. I don't quote by the hour, this is how I base my flat rate on.

I have developed a system of minimums for drywall repairs and small taping jobs, or enhancing them.... Small Patches and minors repairs I just add a few additional prep hours to the room in my bids. We are however over 90% painting.

If its is only a painting small job (good sized room) with large repairs - 8 hours min sometimes more) + paint production. Larger jobs with multiple rooms, I will be nicer depending on the amount of repairing:rolleyes:. You must account for your 3 coats to dry, plus sand, vac, prime and this is not always possible on the same day. You need to be paid all day, so unless you have a shop to go to and bill some hours, or more production in a house to do, make sure you account for ALL the hours in a day that you COULD be billing elsewhere.

Here is how I look at it;

Let's say it is a few patches (2 x 2 patch, or a bead or whatever that requires TAPE) - Minimum it would be a level 4 finish, and it is PART of a painting project

Set Up and tape 1 hour
2nd Coat .5 hour
3rd Coat. .5 hour
Finish sand and Vac . 5 hour
Prime . 5 hour

3 hours Min prep just on the drywall patch + regular room prep charges + production

Yeah I know y'all can coat this in 5 mins each trip - BUT there is a lot of unaccounted for time since you needed to stop what you WERE doing, go to the patch, gear up again, gear down, 3 times, washing pails, brushes etc... it is all about recovering the wheel spinning to do this simple task. I also have to account for employees who don't have my experience. It pulls you away from doing work that is profitable, and drying times on large patches delay your finishing schedule. If they had to bring some one else in..... see next sentence.

If it is not part of a painting project:

8 hours minimum and I will sit there with a fan and blow dryer using HOT water in fast set 20 to make sure it is done...early! I still have to go see it, buy materials, drive back, invoice it, etc... I don't do these jobs as a rule, but if someone calls me a pesters me to give them a price to fix a hole only and nothing else - this is my quote! Unless they are next door to a current project, I simply cannot afford to do this for less as it can delay everything down the line. We can usually cut and roll the wall section in for the same minimum if the application fits.

Small Room taping 16 hours minimum billing. I need to account for my travel time as well, so this system covers me. We can join WIP each day doing this type of room. Usually one of us will take off from a project early afternoon and coat these out at the end of the day.

Multi-room taping minimum 32 hours billing - I cannot do anything else for those for days other than tape since they take up more of a day, so if I don't have other taping jobs lined up, they are paying me for the rest of my day. I will clean up and head over to another active project if feasible but I never know this when I am quoting or when the job is ready.

Large House - Sq foot - I have my own calculation that is MUCH higher than the "Going" rate. If I tape for the going rate I would average minimum $10 less per man hour, than what I would make doing anything else based on OUR taping production times. We only tape custom homes in NC, so we afford ourselves extra PICKY time when taping and sanding. We love painting our own work!

Does any of this make any sense?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
ROOMINADAY said:
I have made some major changes in our billing. My hourly rate includes all my overhead and profit. I don't quote by the hour, this is how I base my flat rate on.

I have developed a system of minimums for drywall repairs and small taping jobs, or enhancing them.... Small Patches and minors repairs I just add a few additional prep hours to the room in my bids. We are however over 90% painting.

If its is only a painting small job (good sized room) with large repairs - 8 hours min sometimes more) + paint production. Larger jobs with multiple rooms, I will be nicer depending on the amount of repairing:rolleyes:. You must account for your 3 coats to dry, plus sand, vac, prime and this is not always possible on the same day. You need to be paid all day, so unless you have a shop to go to and bill some hours, or more production in a house to do, make sure you account for ALL the hours in a day that you COULD be billing elsewhere.

Here is how I look at it;

Let's say it is a few patches (2 x 2 patch, or a bead or whatever that requires TAPE) - Minimum it would be a level 4 finish, and it is PART of a painting project

Set Up and tape 1 hour
2nd Coat .5 hour
3rd Coat. .5 hour
Finish sand and Vac . 5 hour
Prime . 5 hour

3 hours Min prep just on the drywall patch + regular room prep charges + production

Yeah I know y'all can coat this in 5 mins each trip - BUT there is a lot of unaccounted for time since you needed to stop what you WERE doing, go to the patch, gear up again, gear down, 3 times, washing pails, brushes etc... it is all about recovering the wheel spinning to do this simple task. I also have to account for employees who don't have my experience. It pulls you away from doing work that is profitable, and drying times on large patches delay your finishing schedule. If they had to bring some one else in..... see next sentence.

If it is not part of a painting project:

8 hours minimum and I will sit there with a fan and blow dryer using HOT water in fast set 20 to make sure it is done...early! I still have to go see it, buy materials, drive back, invoice it, etc... I don't do these jobs as a rule, but if someone calls me a pesters me to give them a price to fix a hole only and nothing else - this is my quote! Unless they are next door to a current project, I simply cannot afford to do this for less as it can delay everything down the line. We can usually cut and roll the wall section in for the same minimum if the application fits.

Small Room taping 16 hours minimum billing. I need to account for my travel time as well, so this system covers me. We can join WIP each day doing this type of room. Usually one of us will take off from a project early afternoon and coat these out at the end of the day.

Multi-room taping minimum 32 hours billing - I cannot do anything else for those for days other than tape since they take up more of a day, so if I don't have other taping jobs lined up, they are paying me for the rest of my day. I will clean up and head over to another active project if feasible but I never know this when I am quoting or when the job is ready.

Large House - Sq foot - I have my own calculation that is MUCH higher than the "Going" rate. If I tape for the going rate I would average minimum $10 less per man hour, than what I would make doing anything else based on OUR taping production times. We only tape custom homes in NC, so we afford ourselves extra PICKY time when taping and sanding. We love painting our own work!

Does any of this make any sense?
Yes, patch work minor, minimum and major. 1/2 day or less between 125-250, 1/2 day to a full day between 250-500.
Full day to a 1 1/2 days 500+ anything more than that is more than patch work.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts