Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi - i oil primed my front door on a covered porch last August and unfortunately never seemed to be able to get to painting it! Now a full year later, I would like to paint it. The tinted primer seems fine but my question is: do I have to lightly sand it and re-prime or can I just spot prime the caulk lines (done after it was primed) and then put on the finish coats? I am using the Benjamin Moore Aura exterior acrylic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Seems like all my jobs take priority over my own house!
-lisa

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
hi - i oil primed my front door on a covered porch last August and unfortunately never seemed to be able to get to painting it! Now a full year later, I would like to paint it. The tinted primer seems fine but my question is: do I have to lightly sand it and re-prime or can I just spot prime the caulk lines (done after it was primed) and then put on the finish coats? I am using the Benjamin Moore Aura exterior acrylic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Seems like all my jobs take priority over my own house!
-lisa
If its just a normal door, nothing special, just sand and paint. If its a really nice door, you may want to reprime to be on the safe side. You don't sound like a painter IMHO.

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
Primers don't have uv protection so being a year, I'm sure that primer coat is waisted. It doesn't hurt to sand and reprime

Wing' is right! CYA and re-prime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
priming

thanks for all the replies - actually I do faux painting and don't usually do exterior jobs but this is for my own house - an 1885 Queen Anne Victorian that I am slowly fixing up. the door is original and actually I am talking about all of the trim surrounding it which is very substantial and ornate. The door itself is going to be a project in itself - someone did an awful job with varnish! I know aura is "self-priming" but I like the idea of a slow-drying oil primer -- so it looks like the majority of you are saying to re-prime and I think that's what I'll do. thanks again...
lisa

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You don't sound like a painter IMHO.
Sounds like a good painter to me.:thumbup:

thanks for all the replies - actually I do faux painting and don't usually do exterior jobs but this is for my own house - an 1885 Queen Anne Victorian that I am slowly fixing up. the door is original and actually I am talking about all of the trim surrounding it which is very substantial and ornate. The door itself is going to be a project in itself - someone did an awful job with varnish! I know aura is "self-priming" but I like the idea of a slow-drying oil primer -- so it looks like the majority of you are saying to re-prime and I think that's what I'll do. thanks again...
lisa

Your on the right track just sand and oil prime. I hear bout my house being the last to get painted that's how I know your a painter..:yes:

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
Sounds like a good painter to me.:thumbup:

Your on the right track just sand and oil prime. I hear bout my house being the last to get painted that's how I know your a painter..:yes:
thats my point, a painter doesn't care about their own property. A painter would just paint over the old primer and forget about it.:whistling2:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Definitely reprime if you are the least bit concerned. Two coats of premium paint, like the one you've already selected, and youre set for years. Just remember, once you put the top coats on, it'll be too late to go back and prime.

·
I'm Colour Blind
1,630 Posts
Is there a prepping, primer, paint and self applying all in one product? Just open the lid and watch the magic. :jester:
On the right commercial job in the UK years ago, there used to be paints that had knotting solution, fillers, u/coats all in one tin. Just needed to finish off with gloss coat.

It was even self rubbing to achieve the super smooth finish. Good old days :whistling2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts