Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Thanks. In hindsight I wish I went with a urethane enamel paint instead. I’ve enjoyed using SW emerald urethane enamel on trim and doors. I’ll be painting my own kitchen cabinets in the spring. Planning to brush and roll the boxes and spray the doors. For the best durability which paint would you recommend, emerald urethane?
Urethane paints are the gold standard for durability right now. Every brand has their own version. 1k waterborne paints are user friendly, perform well, and relatively safe (healthy). I would stick to 1k waterborne urethane’s for right now.

Advance is a waterborne Alkyd. Many brands carry their own version of this hybrid as well. It looks and feels more like traditional oil enamels, but has some advantages of waterborne paints. There is a place fir it in residential painting. I renovate older homes, and this paint looks and functions well in that context. Advance tends to be a little shinier than some other brands I have tried, and the feel is a little more plasticky than I would care for, but from my limited experience using it, appears to be good paint. In whites, Alkyd emulsion still tend to yellow somewhat, which may or may not be desirable.

· Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,408 Posts
I’m a contractor and occasionally get asked to do a painting job here and there. Thanks for the tip about the BM sales reps on here. I wasn’t aware.

I always sand any primer prior to top coating. I just found at least for myself, that the the 032 primer went on with less brush strokes then the coverstain but I still had many I needed to sand down.

one other question, in the past I’ve used BMAdvance for customers cabinets and hand rail but I’ve never top Coated them. Seems there is conflicting opinions on whether it’s necessary or not. I’m currently painting a bannister in my own home with advance and was considering top coating it with Benwood stays clear about a month or two after it’s painted. Is this overkill? I have young kids so I’m looking for the most durable finish possible.
If your brushing it, then Advance is a great choice,because it flows out like glass. A clear coat isn't really necessary, but would definitely add a layer of protection. Wait at least 24 hrs. I've used Saman Waterborne Satin with good success. The Stays Clear is OK, but wouldn't be my first choice.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Is the SW urethane enamel significantly more durable than advance? I have a second bannister to paint in the same color that I did the first one in and have enough advance to do it but was considering going with the SW urethane and having them color match it. But if it’s not that much more durable I’d rather save the money and finish the advance I have on hand. What are your thoughts?

· Super Moderator
7,235 Posts
If you started with advance I'd just stick with it and I'd prime with Bin. It sets up fast so you have to be quick but it lays down the best out of the solvent primers I've used. A big bonus is that it sands to a powder and hour or two after applying.

· Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,408 Posts
Is the SW urethane enamel significantly more durable than advance? I have a second bannister to paint in the same color that I did the first one in and have enough advance to do it but was considering going with the SW urethane and having them color match it. But if it’s not that much more durable I’d rather save the money and finish the advance I have on hand. What are your thoughts?
No. And Why would you change products half way through a job. That's just silly. Unless you're having issues with it.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I’ve been happy with both products in the past but I’ve gotten the impression after reading various posts on here that advance wasn’t as durable as enamel paints which is the only reason why I considered switching for the other bannister. That and the extended cure time for advance had me second guessing my initial choice. I’ll stick with the advance in that case. Thanks guys

21 - 29 of 29 Posts