Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had all new drywall that was skim coated to a level 5 by the drywall contractor. I applied 1 coat of Gardz instead of a specific drywall primer or PVA, primarily based on positive opinion around here. This was used everywhere including the vaulted ceilings. I then lightly sanded the Gardz and did some touch-ups with spot priming with Gardz.

The fact that Gardz is transparent and shows the various pencil marks from other trades and skim coat colors used by the mudders (they seem to have used a few different color skim coats for touch-ups and finishing), it's a little difficult to tell how much touchup might still be needed and if the top coat will hide everything.

I'm wondering if I should apply another opaque, sandable primer before before painting, or if applying 2 top coats will be sufficient. Any advice?

I'm likely using a Sherwin Williams satin paint on the walls (like Cashmere low luster, but open to suggestions), and a matte paint on the vaulted ceiling, which hasn't been chosen yet. Not sure yet about the bathrooms and kitchen. They wanted a matte finish everywhere, but also wanted a little durability against dirt stains on walls. Top coat is going to be rolled with a Wooster Micro Plush 5/16 (first time using it), or sprayed and back rolled.

Any suggestions on if another primer coat is a good idea before top coating, and if so, which might be the best option?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just buy a decent finish paint and put 2 coats on. I have no idea why you used gardz on new drywall. That's overkill.

Not to hear Futtyos tell it. Where's Futtyos when you need a Gardz ad with Gardz instructions. (Always says 2 coats, btw).

I agree with Masterwork. I don't see why 2 topcoats of a qualitypaint would be a problem.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Guardz is the best for new drywall. Cashmere should be fine 2 coats without another primer. Def don’t spot prime with guardz. It will flash horribly. If they are small touch ups don’t even prime them just straight to finish paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guardz is the best for new drywall. Cashmere should be fine 2 coats without another primer. Def don’t spot prime with guardz. It will flash horribly. If they are small touch ups don’t even prime them just straight to finish paint.

Well, too late on the spot priming with Gardz. There were touch-up nicks that needed some compound as touch-up. I ran some more Gardz over the area already primed with Gardz.

You're saying that spot prime area will flash even though there's already Gardz there? Hmm...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
You did right with the guardz on level 5. The hard part with level 5 is all the dust on the walls. Guys can say, dust it, blow it off, but you can't get it all. Just pva or acrylic primer will most always small peel when you put tape on it. So the guardz will do the best job sealing. Any high quality paint will hide in two coats over what you have there, so just do that. The last level 5 job I did was a 4000 sq/ft full house reno, we guardz'd then white primed and let the drywallers come back one more time to fix any areas. Spot primed with guardz then two coats of paint.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can someone fill me in? Why all this love for gardz? What's so special about it?
I was told it would do the best job of soaking through and hardening the skim coat while sealing it. There was a decent build up of soft, scratch-it-by-looking-at-it skim coat, and I wanted to ensure it would be protected and be less susceptible to flashing. This is my first time with it in this application.

I can say it lives up to the hardening aspect. I'm just less sure about it serving as the final primer for the white top coat because it dries clear. It sounds from the other comments that my fears might be unfounded. I'll need 2 top coats regardless because I don't find that Cashmere covers quite as well as the hype. I'm not 100% on Cashmere being used for the ceiling though. It's a vaulted ceiling that comes all the down to 4 ft at the corners of the house, so it's a very much in your face ceiling.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,757 Posts
If It's a level 5 finish, I would bite the bullet and just roll another coat of a solid white primer like BM Ultra Spec. Or even a flat ceiling paint.
A: It will insure you have no flashing
B: Easier to look for imperfections before finish coats.

If it weren't a level 5 finish I would just continue with top coats.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,757 Posts
Can someone fill me in? Why all this love for gardz? What's so special about it?
It completely seals the surface so that any other product you apply on top won't penetrate. It's more designed for torn drywall and wallpaper glues etc. so they won't reactivate. And it works.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I must be missing the point, then. None of that is an issue with a level 5 finish. You could put anything on the wall, and it should look fine.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It’s just one of those things you have to try and see how well it works. I never believed it and thought it was overkill. We use it all the time now for many purposes. It seals level 5 so good, it rolls on very smooth with a short nap roller. Works great with large walls where you want the topcoat to dry nice and slow. Try it in pre primed mdf. That will make you a believer.

·
Super Moderator
6,590 Posts
Yet one more product everyone raves about on PT that I'm unable to get without driving for 2 hours. Each of the three places here in town that sell paint all carry Zinsser products, but not one of them stocks Gardz. Thankfully all 3 places started carrying Coverstain in the past year for some reason so at least there's that.

Sometimes I feel like I live on a different planet from y'all.

·
Super Moderator
6,979 Posts
Yet one more product everyone raves about on PT that I'm unable to get without driving for 2 hours. Each of the three places here in town that sell paint all carry Zinsser products, but not one of them stocks Gardz. Thankfully all 3 places started carrying Coverstain in the past year for some reason so at least there's that.

Dont feel bad I cant get it either. I found it once at a hole in the wall Ace Hardware but they were selling it in a small spray bottle. Who knew gardz came in a spray bottle, weird. Other than that I've never seen a gallon in the wild.

If you haven't committed to Cashmere I'd suggest checking out Emerald Matte I can promise you more durable than the Cashmere Low Luster.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

See if your Sherwin can get you Romans Pro 999. RX-35. Its a gardz Knockoff. Cheaper too.

You might even be able to find Draw Tite. Better than gardz, but a little pricey.

·
Super Moderator
6,590 Posts
See if your Sherwin can get you Romans Pro 999. RX-35. Its a gardz Knockoff. Cheaper too.

You might even be able to find Draw Tite. Better than gardz, but a little pricey.

Nearest SW would be even further away. I honestly don't even think I've ever seen a SW store much less been in one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Dont feel bad I cant get it either. I found it once at a hole in the wall Ace Hardware but they were selling it in a small spray bottle. Who knew gardz came in a spray bottle, weird. Other than that I've never seen a gallon in the wild.

If you haven't committed to Cashmere I'd suggest checking out Emerald Matte I can promise you more durable than the Cashmere Low Luster.
If only I could get the company selling me the paint to promise. It's hard to believe that a matte finish of a thicker paint could be more durable than an eggshell finish, although I do feel a bit like Fox Mulder..."I want to believe."

Does it have a slight shine to it? Is it washable? I would think a matte finish would be more thirsty to pickup dirt. I'm likely rolling, or spraying and back rolling, everything. The walls (and I think the ceiling and doors) are all going Pure White.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Grayscale, in the op you said a matte on the vaulted ceiling. Any reason for that in particular?

Well, everything in the house is vaulted and comes down to about 4 ft in the corners, so the ceilings are very much in your face. When you are in the bathrooms, it'll obviously have to have a sheen. The thought was that a ceiling with any kind of sheen in the living room or bedrooms might be too reflective? Not sure actually. This was a big question because on one side the argument for a matte finish to not bounce light makes sense, and on the other side the argument for a slight sheen to protect those areas that will be touched or you accidentally bonk your head might make sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

You can buy the 5 gallon or four 1-gallon on Home Depot's site and have it delivered.

You could also ask any of those three stores that carry Zinsser products to put some Gardz on their next order for you.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts