Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just completed a whole house project only to realize that the windows had clear silicone caulk between the wood trim and the vinyl windows. Everything was primed with zinnser cover stain but after just a week it's flaking off the silicone caulk. Any suggestions? I do NOT want to cut the caulk out unless it's a last resort. I have a gallon of Stix, the nasty stuff not latex base, which I'm thinking may work. I need HELP:sad:

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Nothing is going to bond to silicone.

Short of removal, you could caulk over it with an acrylic caulking. Make the bead larger that the existing silicone bead so it can bond to the surface on either edge of the silicone bead, then paint over it.

Some fast drying primers like Coverstain and Bin will actually form a film over silicone instead of separating like most paints do, but that's just because they dry so fast they don't have a chance to separate. That's what your seeing here.

Removal is really the only permanent solution, but caulking over it as described can work pretty good in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
681 Posts
If they are tight beads, you can go over with another caulk as someone mentioned. NPC Solar Seal is number one, but we also use OSI Quad.

If they slopped it everywhere, I don't know what to tell you.

·
Administrator
21,728 Posts
BTW, why do so many window installers use silicone on paintable surfaces? Rhetorical question I guess, but I see it so often it's frustrating.

I don't know the answer to that question but the punishment for doing so should be to have a complete tube of the stuff shoved up their........ :vs_whistle:

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
I don't know the answer to that question but the punishment for doing so should be to have a complete tube of the stuff shoved up their........ :vs_whistle:
at least, and then made to tediously remove it all without damage to anything, then they would never do it again

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
I like Jay's suggestion with the acrylic silicone caulk going over the existing 100% silicone. However, often times I run across this problem when I'm already on the move painting. At which point, I'll shoot a little dash of BIN from a spray can over the silicone while protecting surrounding surfaces not to get painted. It dries super fast and seems to provide a good enough bond coat for the finish coat not to separate.

·
Super Moderator
6,800 Posts
100% silicone should be banned. Or at least people should be required to provide testimony in front of a board of professional painters detailing what they intend to do with it before they're allowed to buy it.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Or at least require the word "unpaintable!" To be printed on every tube of pure silicone. It does have its uses, but they never say it's not paintable on the tube. The only way to know is by deduction. If it doesn't specifically say the caulk is paintable, it's probably not.

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
Interesting. I just viewed a site discussing non paintable silicone caulk. Everyone was raving about a DIY'er's idea about heating up the silicone with a hairdryer prior to painting the caulk with a latex paint. Those who tried her method said it worked great.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Interesting. I just viewed a site discussing non paintable silicone caulk. Everyone was raving about a DIY'er's idea about heating up the silicone with a hairdryer prior to painting the caulk with a latex paint. Those who tried her method said it worked great.
Job security I suppose...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts