Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question...Starting a project next week. I have lots of wallpaper to remove from a two bedroom apartment, then going to prime and paint. I also have rooms with vibrant colors that are not wallpapered. Eventually the apartment is going to be painted Decorators White to sell. I'm looking for opinions on primer. Do I go with two different primers, one for the wallpaper walls and non wallpapered walls or just one primer for all. I plan to use Gardz on the wallpapered walls before priming. TIA.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,347 Posts
It sounds like you're already planning on using Gardz on the wallpaper walls before you then use a primer, so I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if you should use Gardz anywhere else besides wallpaper walls? If so, my answer is maybe, depending upon the condition of those walls, the sheen of your topcoat, and maybe the amount of reflective light across the area. If you're asking whether you should prime the walls with vibrant colors, my answer again is maybe, depending upon the existing sheen and color of those walls.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't consider Gardz as a primer in the traditional sense since it drys clear.

It sounds like you're already planning on using Gardz on the wallpaper walls before you then use a primer, so I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if you should use Gardz anywhere else besides wallpaper walls? If so, my answer is maybe, depending upon the condition of those walls, the sheen of your topcoat, and maybe the amount of reflective light across the area. If you're asking whether you should prime the walls with vibrant colors, my answer again is maybe, depending upon the existing sheen and color of those walls.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,347 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't consider Gardz as a primer in the traditional sense since it drys clear.
Agreed. As I posted in another thread yesterday, I tend to think of non-pigmented "primers" as sealers. Now that we have that out of the way, feel free to clarify the points mentioned in my previous post, and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,035 Posts
I would hit the wallpapered walls with gardz, then hit everything with a coat of Just Flat White for the color change. I doubt Gardz alone would do much for the vibrant colour change.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Why does that have anything to do with it? Primers job is to make sure the topcoat goes on properly. Gardz the papered areas to lockdown any paste residue, and topcoat. Anything else, just go straight to topcoat. Its nonsense to prime for the purpose of color changing. If its drastic, step up the paint quality, It will cover better. Plan on three coats. Its a lot easier to do three topcoats than one primer, and two topcoats.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why does that have anything to do with it? Primers job is to make sure the topcoat goes on properly. Gardz the papered areas to lockdown any paste residue, and topcoat. Anything else, just go straight to topcoat. Its nonsense to prime for the purpose of color changing. If its drastic, step up the paint quality, It will cover better. Plan on three coats. Its a lot easier to do three topcoats than one primer, and two topcoats.
I was with you at first, what does it matter if it is clear? The primer just prepares the surface for finish. If hide is what you are looking for, then a clear is not appropriate, but it will seal the surface making it acceptable for a finish coat. I disagree on the three coat system. I would rather do a primer and 2 finish coats. Primers are generally cheaper than high quality finish coats, and a high quality primer will also help to hide. Many on here say using flat paint as the first coat instead of primer when hiding a previous color is the goal, although I haven't tried that. If I am doing a drastic color change and expect 3 coats, I always prime and 2 finish, tinting the primer when appropriate.

On the non wallpapered walls, unless it is a drastic color change, I don't see a need for a primer. If it is, a pigmented primer or flat paint for first coat. Gardz on the wallpapered walls if they are damaged or you are trying to lock in wallpaper residue. I don't see a need for a follow up primer after the gardz. I personally have never seen a wallpaper over a dark colored wall. They usually are plaster, drywall, or primed white, although I am sure it is possible, just not probable. If you are going white and applied Gardz, you can go right to finish after the Gardz.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Primer does not hide anywhere near as good as paint. Instead of two gallons for a room, you now have to buy two gallons and another gallon of primer, so its not always cost effective anyway. AND, you have more stuff to clean up.

And, using the flat version of the color for a primer is a FAR better way to do it, if you are going that route.

*obviously bright reds and stuff is a whole other matter, before someone pipes in about that.

As for wallpaper, Its what the color of the wall is. If its dark blue, and that papers dark, you can use gardz. If its dark blue and the papers white, it needs a white primer. I dont see the confusion there... I did once strip a wall, and the previous hangar painted 3" dark blue stripes on all the seam areas, and I was hanging white paper over it. Primer didnt make them go away in the slightest. I had to line the walls, then prime the liner white one more time before I could hang...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quick question...Starting a project next week. I have lots of wallpaper to remove from a two bedroom apartment, then going to prime and paint. I also have rooms with vibrant colors that are not wallpapered. Eventually the apartment is going to be painted Decorators White to sell. I'm looking for opinions on primer. Do I go with two different primers, one for the wallpaper walls and non wallpapered walls or just one primer for all. I plan to use Gardz on the wallpapered walls before priming. TIA.
After removing wallpaper we are sure to remove all of the glue residue as well. We typically patch after because who can ever get wallpaper off perfectly without a couple gouges here and there. So, patch, texture, and prime(especially if there are stains.) Then double coat w a good paint.
1) a white primer will help to insure a good bond on wallpapered walls and since you are using deco white as a finish it will help those coats to be more opaque too.
2) a white primer on non papered walls as well as existing vibrant walls will ensure a consistent sheen as well as a more opaque finish when painted.

I’ve been really liking Gripper primer but have used 123 a lot as well. Both dry with a velvet sheen so that helps make the topcoats, if they are not flat, a more consistent finish.
I agree that, if there are no stains present, and finish paint is a flat, then 1st coating with a flat paint is fine too. Maybe even a split coat(half paint/half primer).
Pics of your work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts