Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Sorry if this is the wrong section. The equipment one doesn't seem like it gets much traffic.

Picked up a Graco Sprayer to help with some home room painting. Everything set up correctly. Primed the entire room with no issues. Cleaned the unit and let the primer dry a couple of hours. I started with the new paint. About halfway through the room the pressure dropped and then the unit started running continuously. I tried unclogging the tip with no success. There is plenty of paint left. What other issue could it be?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
you got something stuck keeping the lower check ball open, take off the lower and clean out the ball/seat. if there is no clog there then possibly the upper ball or the packings blew out.

hopefully you bought a good graco and not homedepot model..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I will try both of those suggestions tomorrow morning. Very surprising if that would happen after the first day of usage. And yes I did get a Home Depot model. Went for the ProX17. Not the cheapest but one of the higher end options there.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Thanks for the response. I will try both of those suggestions tomorrow morning. Very surprising if that would happen after the first day of usage. And yes I did get a Home Depot model. Went for the ProX17. Not the cheapest but one of the higher end options there.
I've owned three of the x17 units you can look up my posts on them. More of a fire hazard than a professional tool and not easily to fix. very easy to clog so you must run your paint through a filter before you spray

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Well crap. That blows. What are some recommendations for a good & reliable prosumer sprayer?
look for new or used graco 390/395 or a titan 440 or tritech T4. these will last you 10+ years, have better pressure control via digital transducer, higher GPM output, totally enclosed motor, easily repack/repair and hold their value over time. the magnum models from HD are designed for about 100 gallons or so and then throw in garbage..

please note there is no substitute for filtering your paint before spraying... small bits of garbage in the paint can and will keep check ball valves open no matter the sprayer

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,915 Posts
PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

If you're not a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php.

This thread is now closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.