Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a section dedicated to product reviews? A rating system would be good to...maybe like 1-10...in poll form. It would help out greatly when searching, or trying to find info or reviews on a specific product. It would probably drive more people here, and maybe bring more manufacturers looking for reliable feedback. Just a thought ;)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I like that idea! How about if a guy like this came on, offered to send product to volunteers and get honest feedback?

·
Logistics
3,090 Posts
I like the idea too but poll ratings mean nothing without why you give a product a 5 or a 10. Even those amazon ratings are barely worthy unless u take time to read the low scored which typically expose a product for what it really is.

I'm the kinda of person who typically researches a product in detail sometimes taking months to make a choice. The last major purchase was a laptop but I did not have the time to research to any extent so I relied on a high star rating by a ton of people and went with the laptop based on that alone. HUGE mistake! The laptop ranks high on my list or regrets. I knew better too and all those people who rated it high are not likely to know what they are rating. In this case it was a marketing trick advertising 2.85MHz laptop, I thought that was great but the fine print says 1.60MHz but only calls for more processor power on demand. The laptop runs at 1.60MHz the majority of the time while I check mail or search the web etc. Whats worst, I paid a lot for a laptop that runs just as fast as my 10" netbook and that is silly to rate a high-end laptop that runs at 1.6MHz under ANY circumstance. Those were bogus uneducated ratings and I fell for it. 1.6MHz for a laptop this year is like walking back in time.

Which brings me to why I research the hell out of product before I buy anything. I slipped up and paid dearly for a slow laptop.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
This is in the works. I don't want to say to much because it's still a few months off but it's coming.

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
I posted a thread about something I used in the field and liked, the usual suspects who are ultimately smarter, prettier and more successful trashed the thread. Then inflated it's ego by posting a poll.

See how many people will participate when others trash them and thier threads.

I like the idea, but differing opinions and the way they are expressed will keep most from sharing.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
^^^^Good point. Differences of opinion around here are highly volatile at times. Jack Pauhl does quite a few and always gets flamed for them and he probably gives out more info then others. (He even includes videos)

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I posted a thread about something I used in the field and liked, the usual suspects who are ultimately smarter, prettier and more successful trashed the thread. Then inflated it's ego by posting a poll.

See how many people will participate when others trash them and thier threads.

I like the idea, but differing opinions and the way they are expressed will keep most from sharing.
That's just it. Its a review, an opinion. Not to be debated as to "I used this...." then someone else chimes in " why use that when this is better......". It needs to be kept as what it is, a review.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
That's just it. Its a review, an opinion. Not to be debated as to "I used this...." then someone else chimes in " why use that when this is better......". It needs to be kept as what it is, a review.
Well we are going to have to exclude BM "Aura" from this list as we all know this is the best and its not a opinion, just a fact :)

Pat

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we are going to have to exclude BM "Aura" from this list as we all know this is the best and its not a opinion, just a fact :)

Pat
Like that kind of. You would give your review, what you liked and disliked, and an overall rating. Others could post their reviews on the same product in that thread, no debating, no responses to others reviews.

·
Logistics
3,090 Posts
^^^^Good point. Differences of opinion around here are highly volatile at times. Jack Pauhl does quite a few and always gets flamed for them and he probably gives out more info then others. (He even includes videos)
It goes with doing reviews... CR get thousands of emails each year from people asking what were you thinking when you gave those ratings. I see it everywhere across all products but the single thing that seems to lack in online reviews is credibility. There are too many people uneducated in the product sitting right in front of them. Personally, I do not have a problem buying a product rated 5 out of 10, I just want to know what to expect when I do. If a roller cover is going to fall apart after a couple jobs then I want to know that. Or if a brush wont lay sharp. I try to stick with products I use and know well, after all thats how I am able to offer true experiences over time.

There was a brush review I did not long ago and it wasn't rated too high and I had a video of the brush taped to a silver tip brush separated by a block of wood where I made dual cuts to show load length, sharpness and response time but left it out because I thought it might be a bit cruel to post so I simply talked about what it lacks but that same brush is highly rated all over the internet.

It takes a ton of time to do meaningful reviews, much more than popping a lid and spending a day with a few gallons. Take Aura for example, I have nothing on my site about it and for good reason. I am simply not educated enough, nor spent enough time with Aura to speak honestly about it over any sort of length of time. Im sure you can find a ton of 5 star reviews on it but apparently those guys have one-up on me with real experience with the product.

I simply try to offer "what to expect" reviews based on "what I experienced" but over hundreds of gallons on tons of jobs, over months or years before I give it any kind of rating. So Aura is still too new for me to rate it. On the other hand, my review on Duration Home (interior) is lengthy and it could have included a lot more.

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How about you had to have so many post to even do a review. That way we know they are part of our group. With them block till they hit the number. and keep the number to your self.
David
Theres already a section that is like that. I think it would be more beneficial/helpful if everyone could read it. What needs to be limited is the responses. No comments, nothing to derail the thread. Just 1 persons review, then another's, and another's etc etc. Like when looking at product reviews online...it gets a review, likes/dislikes, and a rating.

·
Banned
503 Posts
I figure we should get going on this ASAP. I have two.

Behr sucks (no proof just opinions)
Benny Moore is a gift from God. (no proof just more opinions)
Sherwin-Williams is somewhere in between (no proof cause there ain't one dude on here that has used all of the SW products)
Then ya got paint that is local and not to be found anywhere within a thousand miles. (invalid opinions based on opinions of others)

OMG, that's four isn't it? Well heck, one more won't hurt.

Paint clerks and reps should be excluded from participation mainly because at any time they can get canned or will go to selling for another outfit and whatever it is that is being sold automatically becomes the best thing since canned mashed potatoes.

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Paint clerks and reps should be excluded from participation mainly because at any time they can get canned or will go to selling for another outfit and whatever it is that is being sold automatically becomes the best thing since canned mashed potatoes.
Clerks don't make decisions on products being carried, that's the owners decision, or the corporation. Reps have no say either, they just provide information and customer support.

Mashed potatoes come in a can? Awesome, I can stop buying in boxes then.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Clerks don't make decisions on products being carried, that's the owners decision, or the corporation. Reps have no say either, they just provide information and customer support.

Mashed potatoes come in a can? Awesome, I can stop buying in boxes then.
Exactly, slaves to the corporation who tell you to say things that are questionable. My question then would be, since you started this thread, how about a sample list of Benny Moore or Sikkens products that you feel don't measure up? IMO five or so of each would be a great start.

Canned mashed potatoes and canned chicken backs too. HLH Products out of Dallas, Texas owned by silver magnate H.L. Hunt.

No charge for the history lesson.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts