Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, a co-worker said he has used some plastic braces, that go onto the corners of doors where the doors stand up, and somehow line up in a zig-zag fashion.
Makes sense to me, but I cannot find them.
I use deck screws in the top and bottom of doors and place them between sawhorses. He is getting hard to work with, please help me find some.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have the plastic braces, got them at my local paint store (not big box store). I'll try to remember to take a picture of them tomorrow. You use 2, or 1 if you are feeling lucky, for each 2 doors and they screw right into the hinges.

They're nearly impossible to put on with 1 person though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I second Jmays and agree that some short sticks of wood screwed into the top of zig zagged doors works good.

I use the Speed Painting Door Deckers now. Requires 2 people but you can lay the paint on thick with doors sitting horizontal, and then stack all the doors in 1 room while finishing up the walls. Makes painting walls pretty easy.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I use door stop material,cut it into 3 ft sticks.Take the door,put the stick in between the door and the wall at the very top edge of the door,and spray,flip around,spray other side.

No nails,no attatchments of any kind,just the right lean,the right stick,and voila,painted doors.

zero ruined doors or walls from falling doors,once in a while they do fall,and I have to fix something,but it's worth it to me not having to drive nails and pull,or do something elaborate with accordianed doors in a room.

Didn't invent the method,but use it all the time.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
I bought a bunch of strapping and nail them to the tops of the doors, zig zag them/ stager them and blast both sides with the sprayer.
I also stock piled on door hinges and some time swap out the good hinges with mine and spray right in place.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
What are those doors? Ash?
I wish, to a degree. I hear ash has a bad rap when you go to sand it, pain in the neck. But I also wish because it would be a new species for us to work with. :)

Anyway, no. They are Doug Fir. And door jams are pine. :O

Coming out good though, I think. I'll up a pic or something in another post as to not hijack this one lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts