Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been through dozens of SW brand brushes and every now and then I buy a purdy for the important stuff... However every time I start using them I feel like I paid top dollar for a hard to use brush.... I agree that the bristles let the paint off nicely, the ends of the bristles don't quite touch the surface unless I brush lightly...which I cant always do. I feel like I could cut 1/2 inch off the top.

Going to buy a wooster tommorrow. Liking my 4" Wooster Wall brush. Going to get a 3" taper.

Does anyone agree if Purdy is the BEST brush as I always hear? Cause I am not convinced.

·
17,820 Posts
I have been through dozens of SW brand brushes and every now and then I buy a purdy for the important stuff... However every time I start using them I feel like I paid top dollar for a hard to use brush.... I agree that the bristles let the paint off nicely, the ends of the bristles don't quite touch the surface unless I brush lightly...which I cant always do. I feel like I could cut 1/2 inch off the top.

Going to buy a wooster tommorrow. Liking my 4" Wooster Wall brush. Going to get a 3" taper.

Does anyone agree if Purdy is the BEST brush as I always hear? Cause I am not convinced.
No I don't think so. I like Wooster's and Corona's About the only Purdy brushes I use are the Pro Extras or the occasional ox hair.

http://www.painttalk.com/f12/my-brush-better-than-yours-24/

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotta try these coronas but using wooster from now on. I should just listen to myself and not other painters...it's like they are trying to sabotage me....

·
Registered
194 Posts
I only use chip brushes. DONE!...

jk..I use corona, Wooster (Alpha) , Proform Picasso. Dont use allot of purdys these days.

·
Lambrecht Painting
1,607 Posts
Woosters for me. Purdy's seem to be going for the DIY market nowadays and their quality is not what it used to be.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have for too many years, only used Purdy...now thanks to someone at paint talk....I tried out a Corona. I still use Purdy's but mostly I LOVE that Corona!!!!(thanks again to someone here)

( I think it was you...workaholic)

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I wonder if anyone would like the project of collecting all the paint brush threads and corral them into a SINGLE thread?

it'd then be easier to keep track of the different aspects, construction. and preferences for each brand, type, and style.

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
I wonder if anyone would like the project of collecting all the paint brush threads and corral them into a SINGLE thread?

it'd then be easier to keep track of the different aspects, construction. and preferences for each brand, type, and style.

You got something better to do?:laughing:

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
You got something better to do?:laughing:
NOPE. wanna help?

well actually I do. I've set up a range in the basement for my airgun. 50 feet. I had to enlarge a hole in a concrete wall to get the greatest possible distance.

·
Registered
Painter
2,036 Posts
Woosters for me. Purdy's seem to be going for the DIY market nowadays and their quality is not what it used to be.
If I have my facts right, SW owns Purdy now and about the time of that transaction is when the quality went down. I suspect the reason being is that SW being a service primarily to the production painters that they may have made the justification to revamp the purdy line for the less quality types (Production). Then again, it certainly could be for a completely different reason and I am sure we can all speculate on different ideas until the moon turns red. ;)

I do prefer the Pro Extra over any other of the Purdy's. I haven't used much of anything else. Anyone know of a brush supplier that will send out a free brush to a new user? :whistling2:;)

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
daArch said:
NOPE. wanna help?

well actually I do. I've set up a range in the basement for my airgun. 50 feet. I had to enlarge a hole in a concrete wall to get the greatest possible distance.
Stop foolin around and get a. 22 down there.

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
NOPE. wanna help?

No thanks, I am STILL working on finishing my own damn house, this weekend MIGHT do it.:eek:

·
The Long Island Painter
396 Posts
My men get Purdy. 3 a year. One for oil, 1 sash and 1 flat. Some have about 10 if they care for their tool. I will then vary the sizes for those guys.
Homeowners do not go much for a Purdy , because they are expensive and do not realize how much easier it would be to get a straight edge. Homeowners seem to buy the pan, roller, brush combo.

·
Registered
663 Posts
indoor air range- how darn fun is that?

My son Parker and I were in the back yard today shootin' the copper bb's...the best is hitting the wind chimes....he's a pretty good shot, how about you arch?

I don't think anyone with the name paint2ski would mind if I added some more fluff to the thread.?

I noticed something funny about Purdy white dove roller covers---there also is a "contractor-production" cheaper version of the real deal....it comes in a package of two.....

wonder if Purdy does this same thing for brushes? Maybe there is a cheaper version at HD/Lowes....usually those come in sets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purdy? WTF?

seriously guys! From my experience purdy brushes fatigue too fast.. and even the Purdy pro ultra brush is no good for anything but walls.(Try doing base last with it. Lol) Wooster? No! Good duster though! Noir has been around for years and that's what Dad used. Not a bad all around brush and good long term life but not my favorite. Over the years, for myself I've found that Bang for your buck, and Brush life, as well as Quality of bristle flow, the Glidden Ulra brush has been my favorite all around brush for many years. Tight lines wherever i use it. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Corona here, MADE IN THE USA, and by far the best brush, I'm amazed how much paint they hold and how it releases the paint. Vista Paint brushes are made by Wooster, and I haven't been impressed. But then again I haven't actually used a "Wooster".

·
Outhouse Painter
700 Posts
At least some BM brushes are Woosters, not sure if all of them are. My favorite is the 65125 - made by Wooster and sold at BM. The thing is a scalpel when needed and can still hold lots of paint. I haven't found anything better. Most of the Purdys I've used have been inferior to the 65125 by a decent amount.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts