Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I used to care about what the best brush was, but then found any one would do as long as I could get it to make a point.

That said, of the brushes i've tried over the years, I always had the hardest time with Masters Choice (too stiff, can't make a point) and Purdy's (too soft - even the ultra firms), while Woosters were always the easiest for me to use. I prefer 2 1/2 over the 3". I suppose it's subjective though.

·
TERRY365
521 Posts
Jack p got me started , first the bm 125 for doors or the Picasso . I like the silver tips too. Coronas are nice too. For exteriors the 2.5 or 3 inch proform oval is hard to beat . Plus I still have the first picasso I bought last summer . Still cuts a straight line good . I just cut the handle off a purdy brush and made a dam nice duster .

·
Not Junior Member
186 Posts
NOPE. wanna help?

well actually I do. I've set up a range in the basement for my airgun. 50 feet. I had to enlarge a hole in a concrete wall to get the greatest possible distance.
Mine is set at 50yds and it can drop crow on slight crossed wind. You shouldn't use it indoor unless you enjoy sniffing hot lead and oil fumes. It also call carcinogen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gen x chinex the way 2 go

I once thought purdy was the gold standard of brushes until i pickd' up these bad boys. I bought a 3 1/2'' angle and a 2 1/2 '' angle. I got to the the job and was dismayed to see enamel paint instead of latex as i had no paint thinner on me. At any rate i painted the 3 store front of the house, cedar shing shakes, and siding with my 3'' brush. The whole front and side. My brush was trashed but the job looked great. When it came time for clean up i used some warm water and just hit the brush one time with the wire brush and BAM....perfectly clean looked brand new i couldn't believe it. I did the whole front with 1 gallon of paint as well so there is something to be said for that as well. Best brush i ever held. AWESOME

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,211 Posts
FWIW, Pro Extra outsold all the other brushes 10 to 1, except maybe the chip brushes, Clearcut was definitely second. 18 years
FWIW, Ground Beef outsold Kobe & Wagyu Beef by probably 40,000 to 1. Skeptics still argue that ground beef might not be the best, despite the sales numbers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Purdy? WTF?

seriously guys! From my experience purdy brushes fatigue too fast.. and even the Purdy pro ultra brush is no good for anything but walls.(Try doing base last with it. Lol) Wooster? No! Good duster though! Noir has been around for years and that's what Dad used. Not a bad all around brush and good long term life but not my favorite. Over the years, for myself I've found that Bang for your buck, and Brush life, as well as Quality of bristle flow, the Glidden Ulra brush has been my favorite all around brush for many years. Tight lines wherever i use it. 👍
Nour also makes those Glidden Ultra brushes... they are very versatile.

·
Registered
9 Posts
FWIW, Ground Beef outsold Kobe & Wagyu Beef by probably 40,000 to 1. Skeptics still argue that ground beef might not be the best, despite the sales numbers.
I wouldn't say that's a fair comparison since Pro-EXtras use a blend of DuPont Chinex/Tynex/Orel whereas Clearcuts just use DuPont Tynex/Orel. Technically, Pro-Extras might actually be more valuable in terms filament makeup since Chinex is more expensive than Tynex and Orel. It a Kobe/Wagyu vs Kobe/Wagyu comparison with slightly different treatments of the cows ;) (vs. your suggestion of Groundbeef vs Wagyu).

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
I wouldn't say that's a fair comparison since Pro-EXtras use a blend of DuPont Chinex/Tynex/Orel whereas Clearcuts just use DuPont Tynex/Orel. Technically, Pro-Extras might actually be more valuable in terms filament makeup since Chinex is more expensive than Tynex and Orel. It a Kobe/Wagyu vs Kobe/Wagyu comparison with slightly different treatments of the cows ;) (vs. your suggestion of Groundbeef vs Wagyu).
I read over your post 3 times and now I'm absolutely certain I have no earthly idea what the hell you're talking about.

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
LOL!!! All im saying is they are both using DuPont filament, and the Pro Extra is actually using a more expensive mix of filaments. So it ain't Groundbeef vs. Wagyu.
I don't disagree with your observations regarding filament compositions, but my point wasn't really to compare Kobe or Wagyu Beef to Ground Beef. Was merely pointing out that gross sales doesn't equate to quality, and making statements about one product outselling another is unwise and short-sided if your intention is to assert the superiority of said product.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't disagree with your observations regarding filament compositions, but my point wasn't really to compare Kobe or Wagyu Beef to Ground Beef. Was merely pointing out that gross sales doesn't equate to quality, and making statements about one product outselling another is unwise and short-sided if your intention is to assert the superiority of said product.
Ahhh, did not realize you were referring all brushes. Thought you were just referring to the clearcut and Pro extra, sorry for the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great point, but remember, the Great and Powerful Oz banned all competitors brushes from their paint premises about 10 years ago. Like Sears in the old days, almost all products sold in their stores are just another division of Cover the Earth. Case in point is concrete stains sold in Florida, H & C does not work very well in a low lying area, near a coast. Other manufacturers have addressed this problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great point, but remember, the Great and Powerful Oz banned all competitors brushes from their paint premises about 10 years ago. Like Sears in the old days, almost all products sold in their stores are just another division of Cover the Earth. Case in point is concrete stains sold in Florida, H & C does not work very well in a low lying area, near a coast. Other manufacturers have addressed this problem.
I'll be more direct, @ SW one cannot sell anything but Purdy or the other company they acquired in 2005 which has the homeowner label on it. Painters visit SW on almost a daily basis, therefore they buy Purdies as a matter of convenience, just like 7 & 11 around the corner. Larger contractors who buy in bulk for their employees, will usually go with competitive bids. Corona appears to be an individual selection as it has a much higher price point. Thats my experience FWIW.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
I'll be more direct, @ SW one cannot sell anything but Purdy or the other company they acquired in 2005 which has the homeowner label on it. Painters visit SW on almost a daily basis, therefore they buy Purdies as a matter of convenience, just like 7 & 11 around the corner. Larger contractors who buy in bulk for their employees, will usually go with competitive bids. Corona appears to be an individual selection as it has a much higher price point. Thats my experience FWIW.
I actually like Purdy brushes. I tend to prefer them, despite having tried most other competitor brushes.

They make a consistently good brush.

Yes, it is convenient to buy them, but don't feel it is fair to label everything "bad" just because it has an SW label attached to it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I actually like Purdy brushes. I tend to prefer them, despite having tried most other competitor brushes.

They make a consistently good brush.

Yes, it is convenient to buy them, but don't feel it is fair to label everything "bad" just because it has an SW label attached to it.
Not at all, Pro Extra and Clearcut are nice brushes for the money or price point. Very good purchase for the money during the blue Bucket deals.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts