Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· crowinthewind
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went and bought a brand new purdy and a brand new wooster, put summa that black tape on em so ya cant see wich is wich, and nobody could tell the dif! notta! kinda like beer. papst blue ribbon, bud, it all does the same thing in the end! besides I use a zeppatar z66DR. master flow! and it is betta than any brush.

· The Lurker
3,514 Posts
I have felt over the last few years that Purdy's have declined and Woosters have picked up in quality. ( I wonder if its because Purdy got bought by the SW conglomerate?) Purdy's are in all the big box stores now, and out of all the independent paint stores especially if there Moore stores. BM doesn't want there affiliates to carry Purdys.

· Registered
11 Posts
I use Purdy's the most. I buy them at my independent dealer who sells B&M and California. The funny thing is they stock Wooster Rollers etc. BUT not their brushes. Whats up with that? I won't step foot into Blowes so I don't have access to them except buying them online.

· crowinthewind
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today I did use both again and one was a far cry from the other!! it was the Purdy after untapen that was the winner by far! made me toss the Z66DR! Ive used both before but never really did a side by side test of em. Purdy man!

· Registered
95 Posts
I have one old Wooster left hanging amongst my Purdys. It's a good brush. If somebody around here would carry Woosters where I could feel and touch before I buy :yes: I might try some. I'm a little hesitant to order over the internet....

Do they still make Fuller brushes? I have a couple older pig bristle Fullers that are excellent.

Casey

· Registered
12 Posts
We went and bought a brand new purdy and a brand new wooster, put summa that black tape on em so ya cant see wich is wich, and nobody could tell the dif! notta! kinda like beer. papst blue ribbon, bud, it all does the same thing in the end! besides I use a zeppatar z66DR. master flow! and it is betta than any brush.

Not paying enough attention! There is no such thing as the same! :)

· Registered
186 Posts
my local duron only carries med-firm wooster. i just leaves to many brush marks even on a 2nd coat and i get way more stray britsles in the wooster and end up having to pull them out and also comb the brush out all day long. purdy is for me. durons brush is good but they lose shape after about 2-4 weeks of everyday use. and i also find that i cut a straighter line with a softer brush because i can change the angle real quick during a stroke, but i think alot of people like the firmer bristles for straight lines(like a wooster)

· Registered
971 Posts
Anybody tried the "chinex" by wooster?? I got a cpl last week, took a day or so to get used to the new bristles, but I love em. Don't know if its a new thing, but the guys at my SW store said they were, new to me anyway. They don't load up with paint as bad, real easy to clean and don't have to stop after a few hours to clean em.

· The Lurker
3,514 Posts
I have been using the wooster chines for about three weeks now and still haven't decided if I like it. It does clean up excellent! much better then any brush I have cleaned. I still think its a little soft (doesn't hold its shape)for heavy acrylics.

· me paint pretty one day
182 Posts
2 1/2" Purdy XL Elasco for me, been using it for years, I like the way I can put a point on it. I only can get them at my local paint store, HD and Lowe's don't seem to carry that model which is kinda nice.
This is my favorite brush;my current one is about 8 mos.old and is so smooth. I also have a few 2" and 2 1/2" Purdy XL Swans; which is the same as the Elasco but with a beaver tail. These brushes hold a lot of paint but allow you to paint intricate areas and flats.

I like Woosters also and find they paint well straight out of the box. While the Purdy brushes take a week or two to really smooth out; after they are broken in they are without peer.

Which is better? I think they are both great brushes and it depends on one's style. I paint a lot of oil and doctor it almost as thin as water. I am light handed and let the paint flow out of the brush instead of mashing it out. The Purdy' XL's are soft and hold the paint well for me allowing me to lay down a nice section and not worry about drips and sags.

I have purchased a number of Purdy's and some Coronas from Richard at www.thepaintstore.com. Great sevice and they stock every Corona, Wooster and Purdy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.