Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I haven't painted much PVC but when I did I used SW's adhesion primer first then filled in with Elmer's like normal. Never got a phone call so it must have stuck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
DHlll said:
Elmer's on screw holes?? oh boy!!
Could you elaborate please? As I said I have not heard of any problems and these HOs would certainly notice but I don't want to do it again if it's prone to fail.

Btw I'm pretty sure they were nails....

·
Registered
131 Posts
nails hole are fine....anything larger is not. The wood filler is not hard or rigid enough for a large hole. Especially on a exterior. Change in temperature and moisture causes movement, even though it may be slight if its not a two part compound or a epoxy or something that dries hard and dense-----> pop. Out comes the elmers. Seen it a thousand times on exterior repaints. May not happen right away....but over time it will.

·
Registered
779 Posts
We just finished a large 36 unit trim replacement from wood to Azek and used elmers fill on nails and bond on screw holes. Painted and looks great

·
Registered
52 Posts
My hardwarestore is selling trim head screws with white pcv caps that you can just put right in the hole after the screw. I have seen samples and you can't even see that there was a screw there with the cap in.

I think it is probably GRK that sells them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts