Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
There needs to be context. How much did you pay? Did you get other estimates? Was this quote the cheapest?

Looks like a case of you got what you paid for. Awful work was done but all depending on the price you paid on what's acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,140 Posts
Also you stated those cabinets are 2 years old. Judging from the shape of the inside drawers I would highly doubt they're less than 8-10 years old.
The drawers look like brand new dovetail boxes. And 5k is more than enough to do a damn good job. Those things look horrible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The drawers look like brand new dovetail boxes. And 5k is more than enough to do a damn good job. Those things look horrible.
I agree that is awful work but I don't believe those cabinets are 2 years old. Those cabinets are not that common right now. Those were extremely popular about 10 years ago.

Also never saw that it cost 5k. Regardless of the age of cabinets that is awful work for that price.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I agree that is awful work but I don't believe those cabinets are 2 years old. Those cabinets are not that common right now. Those were extremely popular about 10 years ago.

Also never saw that it cost 5k. Regardless of the age of cabinets that is awful work for that price.
$5K with a laundry room and two bathrooms. So in that context it's kind of upper middle of the road as an estimate, depending on how big the bathrooms were and what needed to be done, and the laundry room. Could be that the guy was a good brush and roll wall painter and had no real idea how to do sprayed cabinet work, so he dropped the ball on that portion but thought it'd be easy enough money. In this way it's a situation a lot of us could have gotten into, if you try to push out of your element and fail.

Happens with a lot of trades actually, people do something related to a certain task but once they're out of their wheelhouse, things go to crap. A good frequent example is someone could be a good floor tiler, maybe done a few backsplashes, but build an awful shower that leaks as even though they're both "tiling" one just needs things to be relative level/even and do good cuts, and the other needs understanding about waterproofing systems to not rot everything out from the water, and aesthetically needs a lot more understanding about layouts and mathing everything out.

Also noticed a Mexican flag under OP's name, which leads to some more questions.

·
Registered
446 Posts
What you need is a Cabinet Finisher,different then a Painting Contractor

If that paint is poorly adhered your looking at a complete strip,then a finish,in order for it to be right

Any coating is only as good as the surface its being applied to,your new guy could use the best Cabinet Paint or Coating known to man,but if that Blue isnt a sound surface......

Good Luck with that

41 - 51 of 51 Posts