Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, question about a deck? here in the northeast (NNJ) i have a deck that the homeowner wants to be painted,but the deck is over eight years old and never was taken care(right after it was built ,the wood wasn't sealed)so i spoke to the bm dealer and the guy told me that sometimes when the wood was exposed to rain,snow,heat,,etc,,etc for a long time ,like this deck ,the paint doesn't hold so well,so my question is this:should i go for it and do the job, and also what you guys would do?..like power washer first-then the wood sealer-then primer(what kind oil or latex) and finaly the top color,,any help will be appreciated!thanks a lot in advance guys

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Clean it with a sodium hydroxide based cleaner stripper, apply an acidic pH balancing cleaner/brightener and coat it with a penetrating oil. Skip the painting. Paint peels and looks like hell. If you are going to go with a film forming finish use a solid stain.

Old wood holds stains and sealers better than new wood so your BM dealer is misinformed. It just has to be prepped properly.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Listen to Pressure Pros. But if all the cleaning and prep is out of the HO's budget which it probably is considering they waited so long. Atleat pressure wash the crap off it and use a good oil stain. Trust me I tried to go latex and it works for certain things (paint) but not stain. If you cut the wood when you pressure wash make sure you go from one end of the board to the other and it will be ok, dont go back and forth every foot or so or it will look like crap.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
i JUST stained a deck that was built in 92 and only 1 stain job ever on it. I power washed it, took 2 days, used 50% bleach and water and did a second with TSP just to make sure. It was almost black.. and some of the algae that grew on it looked like barnacles that would be on a ship! It worked, and let it set for a couple weeks in the sun and then came back with deckscapes solid latex "lodge brown" and it looks marvelous! I did replace some wood, but really with wood that neglected and old.. using any specialty cleaner would have been a waste. FYI

·
Registered
189 Posts
Clean it with a sodium hydroxide based cleaner stripper, apply an acidic pH balancing cleaner/brightener and coat it with a penetrating oil. Skip the painting. Paint peels and looks like hell. If you are going to go with a film forming finish use a solid stain.

Old wood holds stains and sealers better than new wood so your BM dealer is misinformed. It just has to be prepped properly.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I am not a fan of solid stains or any latex products on a deck. But I have to give kudos To Sherwin's deckscapes - it is a great product. But it's really a Pratt & Lambert formulation. I will get it as 'stainshield' under the P&L logo.

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
I dont really think it matters the type of solid on a deck. None of them last forever, they will all peel eventually, whether its a solid stain or a paint. If it forms a film, it can and will peel. I normally try and talk people out of them, unless they understand and are fine with that. I probably do the best with Sikkens Solid DEK ( hybrid formula ) or their Rubbol DEK (oil).

If it were me, (depending on how bad the deck is of course ) I would talk the H.O. into painting/staining the spindles, and a good sanding of the floor and handrail, finished with a semi transparent stain. Its the best of both worlds that way. The painted spindles will hold up really well, and the horizontal surfaces ( floor and handrail ) will need to be easily refinished every 2 years. The cost for them will be slightly higher this first time, but after that, you can maintan it relatively cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi guys, question about a deck? here in the northeast (NNJ) i have a deck that the homeowner wants to be painted,but the deck is over eight years old and never was taken care(right after it was built ,the wood wasn't sealed)so i spoke to the bm dealer and the guy told me that sometimes when the wood was exposed to rain,snow,heat,,etc,,etc for a long time ,like this deck ,the paint doesn't hold so well,so my question is this:should i go for it and do the job, and also what you guys would do?..like power washer first-then the wood sealer-then primer(what kind oil or latex) and finaly the top color,,any help will be appreciated!thanks a lot in advance guys
use a deck cleaner, wolmans or something that may tighten fibers, i usually take a random sander - give a little love 60 or 80 grit, vacuum, check out armstrong clark for sealer oil and easy to use. do not paint a deck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts