Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I'd Rather Fight Than Switch"

Remember this tag line from a cigarette maker back in the 60's?

I'm researching a white paper and was hoping to get opinions from paint contractors to one basic question.

What could paint makers do to get you to try*a new brand?

Thanks for taking a look.

John:thumbsup:

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
Since many coatings seem to share similarities in terms of formulation, ingredients, performance and cost, its usually the consistency of service, product availability, and options for application needs that keep me loyal to one particular supplier. Even when I know there are products from other suppliers that will perform better.

·
Banned
3,745 Posts
A Home Depot paint rep gave my boss fifty gallons of their stuff. He had me whitewash a vacant floor of a building with it. he tried it cause they Gave it to him so I'm Goin to answere give some product out, no charge, to try.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
For me it depends on the manufacturer. For instance, I would use a new SW or BM product tomorrow without much hesitation. I know what I'm getting from those two.

A new product from a new manufacturer would be different for me. In this instance, I would need a good longevity test, a comped gallon (preferably a 5er), and a stand up warranty. Preferably local, and not sold in a box store.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
I can't think of one thing other than start working on relationships. Free paint won't work for me, nice and all but it wouldnt make me switch. I'd just use it and go back to where I go. I hate when a sells presentation has free in it, even if its sincere. To me its cutting yourself short.

You could lock the paint coating in a hard specs of a hoa or property management. This will force the painter to try your product and it won't be free. This would also break a habit and form a new on if done right.

The hardest challenge you have is not your product (assuming you have a qualified product) but braking the habits of a established paint contractor. I've recently switched to BM. ONCE I was open about switching, it took 3 years to fully switch. Some was due having to educating myself of the product. More so breaking my habits of being familiar with the same vendors for years.

It's a challenge for sure

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
"I'd Rather Fight Than Switch"

Remember this tag line from a cigarette maker back in the 60's?

I'm researching a white paper and was hoping to get opinions from paint contractors to one basic question.

What could paint makers do to get you to try*a new brand?

Thanks for taking a look.

John:thumbsup:
People try to get us to do stuff all the time. I only switch for 1 reason: It has to be better than what we're using now, for either a little more money, the same amount, or preferably less.

It's not always price driven, if it's an absurd price for a product that is relatively the same, then no...we aren't switching. Why? Because my customer really isn't benefiting.
Why pay 50% more when you only get a 5% or 10% differential in performance? I'm talking from the customer stand point, I don't want anyone to get rooked.

But if I can justify a $1 - $5 per gallon increase because it's going to last 2x longer or even if it cuts my production time in half, then yah it's worth it for me to switch.

I've run into situations before where its simply a better product for the same amount as I was paying with an old product.

my 2 cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts