Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 3923 Posts

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Um, what's wrong with that? I've done that. I don't have a sprayer.

In addition:
Not everything should be beige.

Better Call Saul season two is pretty okay.

I should have listened to Slinger about second chances.

How would you combine the Art Deco style and a children's playroom signage....hmmm.

Lebanon baloney is neither from Lebanon,nor baloney.

Chocolate twinkies are sub par.

Aruba has the bluest water I'd ever seen.

I think I can still do a cartwheel.
and Lebanon baloney certainly IS from Lebanon! Lebanon county!

Reactions: fauxlynn and chrisn

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
I also just finished the second season of Better Call Saul. I liked it.

I don't remember what I said about second chances.

And I'm pretty sure I can't do a hand spring anymore.

I'm 100% sure I'm not gonna try to do a hand spring. Anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Not my thread, man! It's the thread of the people! #MPTGA!

Where've you been anyway? Lurking in the shadows?

Thanks for asking.

I got hit with a serious family crisis. Everyone's OK, but we now have to adjust to some changes. Unfortunately, my priorities have changed and I now have less spare time, mentally, to participate on PT as I once had when there were less demands placed on my attention.

I hope my PT participation returns to normal. Only time will tell.

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
Kind of surprised nobody got in any April fools jokes on here today before noon.
Actually, not putting one on here WAS my AFD's joke. :vs_bananasplit:

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
I was going to post this last night but thought everyone would think it was just some lame last ditch attempt at an April Fool's Day joke.

So, I actually pulled an old toilet and put in a new one yesterday WITHOUT ANY CUSSING!!! :surprise: Even when an unexpected side repair came up and I needed to replace the leaking water supply valve, I managed to remain calm. Jan says I uttered a "fiddlesticks" once - but I don't recall it.

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
Although yesterday’s adventure in plumbing went pretty well (did you hear? No cussing! None!) I am left with an unsettling question; what the hell is with that whole wax ring set up? I mean really? WAX???

Seriously, in this day of literally space age polypropewhatchamastuff and siliconisticthingamabobs, why are we still using wax as a sealant for perhaps the most heavily abused plumbing fixture within our homes? I have to guess the wax ring was developed back when terra cotta sewer lines and bamboo water pipes were all the rage. Wax... seriously?

Don’t know if you have ever had the unfortunate experience of having to pull a toilet or not but the remains of the old wax ring look nothing like wax at that point. Instead, it bears a heavy resemblance to a sticky amalgamation of the stuff we typically send down toilets. So, you have to get out your favorite putty knife (well, us painters have favorite ones) to scrape away the old “wax” so that you have a clean flange upon which to place the new wax ring. Of course you can’t really wipe any of the old wax away because... well, it’s wax! However, I do find paper towels are the best thing to at least try and wipe the base down with because as they disintegrate and stick to the old wax they mark where there is still more of it to try and remove.

At that point you hopefully now have a relatively clear view down into the netherworld which is your house’s poopy line (that thare’s professional plumber talk ya’ know). I try not to look too much into that black hole yawing back at me because, well, I’m pretty sure I’ll catch a glimpse of some guy in white clown make-up and pointy teeth staring back at me.

Hopefully you can now “quickly” (ha! I like the use of that word went discussing plumbing) get your new toilet (or the old one if you are just doing all of this for the hell of it) in place. Of course that means affixing a new wax ring (you can typically buy these at any plumbing supply store and they will sell it to you with a straight face) to the bottom of your new/old toilet while then attempting to line it up with the existing bolts coming out of the floor and the hole. Doing this is sort of a two person job - assuming you can explain to the other person what you are trying to do and what they need to do to assist. After failing to do that and you are on your own, trying to line everything up is like one of those mid air fueling maneuvers you see jets do. Or, like a space capsule docking with the International Space Station (Watch it Boris! I’m coming in hot!”). Except, here you are attempting to do this while holding your toilet which weighs about the same as a Prius while simutaneously trying not to screw up and set it down in the wrong spot. If you do, you have to start all over with a new wax ring (WAX? SERIOUSLY?). Eventually, after six or seven attempts and the depletion of the total wax output of roughly three million bees for a year, you might be lucky enough to get the toilet properly seated (but you won’t really know that until it’s all in place and you flush it - lovely). At this point you can finally over tighten the toilet into place and crack the base of it in the process.

Now you can see why I was so proud to never have cussed once yesterday. Not once... really.

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
Although yesterday’s adventure in plumbing went pretty well (did you hear? No cussing! None!) I am left with an unsettling question; what the hell is with that whole wax ring set up? I mean really? WAX???

Seriously, in this day of literally space age polypropewhatchamastuff and siliconisticthingamabobs, why are we still using wax as a sealant for perhaps the most heavily abused plumbing fixture within our homes? I have to guess the wax ring was developed back when terra cotta sewer lines and bamboo water pipes were all the rage. Wax... seriously?

Don’t know if you have ever had the unfortunate experience of having to pull a toilet or not but the remains of the old wax ring look nothing like wax at that point. Instead, it bears a heavy resemblance to a sticky amalgamation of the stuff we typically send down toilets. So, you have to get out your favorite putty knife (well, us painters have favorite ones) to scrape away the old “wax” so that you have a clean flange upon which to place the new wax ring. Of course you can’t really wipe any of the old wax away because... well, it’s wax! However, I do find paper towels are the best thing to at least try and wipe the base down with because as they disintegrate and stick to the old wax they mark where there is still more of it to try and remove.

At that point you hopefully now have a relatively clear view down into the netherworld which is your house’s poopy line (that thare’s professional plumber talk ya’ know). I try not to look too much into that black hole yawing back at me because, well, I’m pretty sure I’ll catch a glimpse of some guy in white clown make-up and pointy teeth staring back at me.

Hopefully you can now “quickly” (ha! I like the use of that word went discussing plumbing) get your new toilet (or the old one if you are just doing all of this for the hell of it) in place. Of course that means affixing a new wax ring (you can typically buy these at any plumbing supply store and they will sell it to you with a straight face) to the bottom of your new/old toilet while then attempting to line it up with the existing bolts coming out of the floor and the hole. Doing this is sort of a two person job - assuming you can explain to the other person what you are trying to do and what they need to do to assist. After failing to do that and you are on your own, trying to line everything up is like one of those mid air fueling maneuvers you see jets do. Or, like a space capsule docking with the International Space Station (Watch it Boris! I’m coming in hot!”). Except, here you are attempting to do this while holding your toilet which weighs about the same as a Prius while simutaneously trying not to screw up and set it down in the wrong spot. If you do, you have to start all over with a new wax ring (WAX? SERIOUSLY?). Eventually, after six or seven attempts and the depletion of the total wax output of roughly three million bees for a year, you might be lucky enough to get the toilet properly seated (but you won’t really know that until it’s all in place and you flush it - lovely). At this point you can finally over tighten the toilet into place and crack the base of it in the process.
Now you can see why I was so proud to never have cussed once yesterday. Not once... really.
True story, especially the red part.:vs_laugh:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Ha....I did the same thing yesterday RH, even used my favorite putty knife. I had to add an extra wax ring to compensate for a tile floor. Does your back hurt as much as mine does today?

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
Ha....I did the same thing yesterday RH, even used my favorite putty knife. I had to add an extra wax ring to compensate for a tile floor. Does your back hurt as much as mine does today?
Not too bad - but I did have Jan spot me when seating the damned thing so I did make it on one try. I can tell you though, plumbers definately earn they money in my book.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,015
How an earth does Facebook decide who to suggest as friends to me?? Weird.

Also, how does a person I blocked on FB end up in my suggested friends list? (same name, different pic, FB page blank)

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
How an earth does Facebook decide who to suggest as friends to me?? Weird.

Also, how does a person I blocked on FB end up in my suggested friends list? (same name, different pic, FB page blank)
Blame the Russians.

Reactions: chrisn

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
If I do that, I might get reprimanded for being political. Can I blame PacMan instead?
He i get a friend request from some chinese person all the time. I have no idea who it is.
Facebook uses a proprietary algorithm to determine who to put on your suggested friends list. It has many different sources that it uses. It goes by things like where you went to school, where you live, where you've lived in the past, of course friends of friends, Your age, your sex, It's actually pretty complex.
More then likely in this case the person you blocked just started another facebook page using another e-mail address and phone number to get around your blocking attempt. I've had it happen before. They can also just make a slight change to the name on their current Facebook info to get around your block. If the name is changed even slightly, such as changing a small letter to a capital letter the name is different then the one you blocked so they can get around it. So they've probably already downloaded your latest batch of selfies.

Reactions: fauxlynn

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,020
Now,see,if I was going to FB stalk someone, I'd create an entirely different persona, like a Chinese person.

2001 - 2020 of 3923 Posts