Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 3923 Posts

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
You gotta admit, they do take nice pics though.

I don't have one, but I find it interesting how people seem to either love those things to death or hate them profusely.

My theory about phones has always been if it does what you want, meh. Good enough.
I was thinking about this whole phone thing recently. It seems that so much of one's personality, needs, and plans are manipulated by technology, in terms of ad suggestions that target a users searches and other sensory outputs. Not to mention the information we readily store in these enormous data bases.

So I've just decided, with the support of smart phones and other gadgets, to give in and allow my subconscious and peripheral thinking to be influenced by the outside world via the internet and other technological cues.

I mean, are any of us really off the grid? If not, you might as well take advantage of someone, or something, else that's interested in trying to do your thinking for you. Who knows, they, or it, may know better than even you.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I was thinking about this whole phone thing recently. It seems that so much of one's personality, needs, and plans are manipulated by technology, in terms of ad suggestions that target a users searches and other sensory outputs. Not to mention the information we readily store in these enormous data bases.

So I've just decided, with the support of smart phones and other gadgets, to give in and allow my subconscious and peripheral thinking to be influenced by the outside world via the internet and other technological cues.

I mean, are any of us really off the grid? If not, you might as well take advantage of someone, or something, else that's interested in trying to do your thinking for you. Who knows, they, or it, may know better than even you.
What, can you translate?

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Wondering when the... How many sides to a widow thread is gonna pop up? Who's gonna number it, who's gonna say they never paint the side's or bottom?
Now that is just silly! Who would start such a thread?

·
Registered
11,338 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
Bought the wife a new iPhone 7+ for her birthday last month, which is why I asked about taking pics. I was down in Florida right after the hurricanes and my iPhone 5 stopped charging. Got back home and took it to the Apple store to have checked out. Turned out to be just the cord. No problem. Then I thought about maybe getting a new 7+ like the wife has. Just have a hard time justifying spending over $1600 for a pair of phones in one year.

Anyway, out in the garage and drop my phone. Otterbox and all, it finally cracked the tempered glass screen protector. Thinking "no problem, just go to Wally World and get another screen protector. Get back home, take off the old protector and the glass is cracked. Had a place in town fix it for about $50. Think I'll just hold on to it for another year to get my $50 out of it. It does everything I need it to do.

Have to admit though, the 7+ does take some nice pics.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
Random thoughts:

If someone had told you 20 years ago that you would have one device that you could use as a phone, gps, camera, text, email, etc, etc, etc., would you have thought they were nuts?

Remember paying by the minute? 2 hour talk time? Bulky battery? Even a more bulky battery for more talk time? Antennae on it? The Motorola's that looked like a brick?

And everyone wants to text. Pick up the wife from work on almost a daily basis. Probably 90% of the people who walk out of the hospital are staring at their phones and texting - paying no real attention to what's going on around them. It's really come to this hasn't it?

I haven't quite figured out why people want to carry on a length conversation via text. I can do the same in a 3-5 min voice conversation. The same may well go on for the entire day texting.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Bought the wife a new iPhone 7+ for her birthday last month, which is why I asked about taking pics. I was down in Florida right after the hurricanes and my iPhone 5 stopped charging. Got back home and took it to the Apple store to have checked out. Turned out to be just the cord.
I can't tell you how many of those little cords I've bought for the kids iphones at 20 bucks a pop. I swear they're designed to fail. The last one I got i duct taped the ends right out of the box and it still only made it a few months.......

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
Random thoughts:

If someone had told you 20 years ago that you would have one device that you could use as a phone, gps, camera, text, email, etc, etc, etc., would you have thought they were nuts?

Remember paying by the minute? 2 hour talk time? Bulky battery? Even a more bulky battery for more talk time? Antennae on it? The Motorola's that looked like a brick?

And everyone wants to text. Pick up the wife from work on almost a daily basis. Probably 90% of the people who walk out of the hospital are staring at their phones and texting - paying no real attention to what's going on around them. It's really come to this hasn't it?

I haven't quite figured out why people want to carry on a length conversation via text. I can do the same in a 3-5 min voice conversation. The same may well go on for the entire day texting.
It really depends on who you're talking to. Some conversations via voice can take 1 minute, some can take 1/2hr. Some conversations via text can take cumulatively a couple of minutes, but in person could take a couple of hours unless you're the type that can just truncate them.

The texting convo can take a few 15 second intervals which for painting conversations is fine most of the time.

Depending on the person, they can take that as being rude or whatever. In general, I tend to shy away from those people. I've got stuff to do.

Unless of course you're texting with my wife, where responses can be "y9p48t, 4[y8t3?" followed by "8y9t5p, 9yp8t4!!" "You know what I meant!" Button mashers hurt me.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
I'm beginning to prefer text over other communication mediums. I believe voice conversation wastes time with the introductions and departures.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
I'm beginning to prefer text over other communication mediums. I believe voice conversation wastes time with the introductions and departures.
Yeah, I guess when your time is so valuable, that few minutes out of your day can really add up and make a difference.:vs_laugh:

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
Actually, I'd rather maintain a real social interaction than what texting affords.

I'm old and I'm retired. My time is more valuable now than it has ever been in my life.

Now if I only I could get back the time of reading endless paragraphs of nonsense and attempts to "wax philosophical" about whatever; that would really be something. Wasting my valuable time reading 5 paragraphs when it could have been put in one really gets to me....

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Actually, I'd rather maintain a real social interaction than what texting affords.

I'm old and I'm retired. My time is more valuable now than it has ever been in my life.

Now if I only I could get back the time of reading endless paragraphs of nonsense and attempts to "wax philosophical" about whatever; that would really be something. Wasting my valuable time reading 5 paragraphs when it could have been put in one really gets to me....
I know what you mean..

I should have said that at the work place, I prefer text messages when a whole lot of detail isn't necessary.

Sometimes, my supervisor will call me rather than text me, and he wants to go on and on with awkward pauses for what I'm guessing is a wait for feed back. Problem is, the important stuff was addressed in the first thirty seconds. Now I'm stuck small talking, like we're at a bar, which typically leads into gossip and commiserating. Meanwhile, my pan of mud is drying up as I'm searching for an exit without appearing hasty.

2481 - 2500 of 3923 Posts