Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

2501 - 2520 of 3923 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
I can't tell you how many of those little cords I've bought for the kids iphones at 20 bucks a pop. I swear they're designed to fail. The last one I got i duct taped the ends right out of the box and it still only made it a few months.......
I don't have an iphone, but my wife does now. Can't you charge those things with a regular usb cord which are pretty sturdy? I could ask my wife, but she's out in the kitchen. Probably within earshot.

I'll send her a text and see what she says.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
In terms of casual conversation I'm as long winded as I am here. Which gets my acquaintances equally agitated.
A few shots, and i won't understand a thing you are saying anyway so have at it.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I'm beginning to prefer text over other communication mediums. I believe voice conversation wastes time with the introductions and departures.
Then don't introduce as everyone has caller ID and will know it's you calling, just cut to the chase, spill your beans and hang up!

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Then don't introduce as everyone has caller ID and will know it's you calling, just cut to the chase, spill your beans and hang up!
I'm too cordial.

And most of the calls I receive don't have a name attached to it because I either didn't program one in, or I can't view my phone at that particular time. So I answer with "Hi! This is John!? And then my brother mocks me by replying with kind of a gay (no offense) "Hi John! This is Ralph from Crepes and Drapes!" or some other unfamiliar name.

Gotta love an older brother:plain:

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
That was a $100 dollar tip, right? :devil3:

Honesty can be a biotch. :sad:
Guy showed up at my front door yesterday. Handed me a gift bag with a nice bottle of wine and a gift card for a local restaurant. I barely remembered who he was! Nice when customers you painted for 3 months ago remember you at this time of year!

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
here's a sobering thought. I just read an article that says that as much as 75% of all the items returned after the holidays end up in the dump. As in, thrown out. Think about what a waste that is.

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
here's a sobering thought. I just read an article that says that as much as 75% of all the items returned after the holidays end up in the dump. As in, thrown out. Think about what a waste that is.
I always thought a bunch of that stuff got shipped off to some form of liquidation company type thing because it was too costly to deal with by the individual stores or send back to the original manufacturer. Anyhoo, I thought I saw that recently on some consumer affairs type program.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
I always thought a bunch of that stuff got shipped off to some form of liquidation company type thing because it was too costly to deal with by the individual stores or send back to the original manufacturer. Anyhoo, I thought I saw that recently on some consumer affairs type program.
yeah some of it gets sent back to the manufacturer, but it is too costly and time consuming to separate what is usable/resell-able so most of it gets taken to the dump. And even the liquidation companies will throw out a large portion of it.

If it isn't in it's original packaging in 100% resellable condition most individual stores will ship it back either to their distribution or the manufacturer. From there it usually gets pitched in the trash. Huge tax right-off by the way.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
just saw on the web that there was a 3.8 earthquake in the San Jose area. Really? They report those now? Why?

Do you know what they call a 3.8 earthquake in LA? Breakfast.

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
I've got it pretty good. I've got three retired neighbours outside with their snow blowers arguing over who gets to do my lane way. "I've got it Arnie!" "No, John. I'll do it!" I love my neighbourhood.

Not often we see the trifecta of snow blowers out there.

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
I've got it pretty good. I've got three retired neighbours outside with their snow blowers arguing over who gets to do my lane way. "I've got it Arnie!" "No, John. I'll do it!" I love my neighbourhood.

Not often we see the trifecta of snow blowers out there.
So do they end up just blowing it back and forth between them?

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
So do they end up just blowing it back and forth between them?
Wouldn't surprise me. The one guy's done his own lane way three times already this morning. He can't help himself. In the summer, I'm sure I've seen him mow his grass 3 times in one week.

One inch of snow and he's out there. Then, he gets in his truck and slowly drives around town for no reason. Former security patrol at the nuclear plant.

Some guys deal with retirement differently than I would I guess.

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
You'd be surprised at the amount of people who think retirement will be one thing and it evolves into something totally different.
You mean like the idiots that retire from one profession and then jump with both feet into another? I don’t believe that actually ever happens. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
Up at the nuclear plant they use a lot of contractors on top of their full time employees.

Boatloads of full time employees up there will retire early with pension, then come right back to work as a contractor making more than they were as employees. See it all the time. Guy retires on Friday and shows up back at work doing the same thing on Monday.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
I don't think I did. If building street rods was a business I'd lose money on the labor end. That's why I keep it a hobby. Gives me something to do.

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
Lololololol! I know this guy who retired from teaching and decided that he wanted to be a painter! What a weirdo.;)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I think I know that guy - “weirdo” is an understatement. Rumor is, he’s gonna’ be retiring from painting soon. Wonder what the fool will get involved with next? Probably something ridiculous like professional exterior illumination. :wink:

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I think I know that guy - “weirdo” is an understatement. Rumor is, he’s gonna’ be retiring from painting soon. Wonder what the fool will get involved with next? Probably something ridiculous like professional exterior illumination. :wink:
Sounds like a "bright" idea!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2501 - 2520 of 3923 Posts