Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

2641 - 2660 of 3923 Posts

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Guy got registered as deceased. He's not dead. He didn't know he'd been registered as such. Eventually found out it'd happened. Filed an appeal in court. Was told he was too late.
I guess that's how things work in Romania? If you're dead but you're not dead, and you don't tell anyone about it soon enough,......you're dead.

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
Does this guy sleep in a coffin all day, then go out after the sun sets?
Ha. Didn't read the whole article, but it would appear he left his wife 20yrs ago and moved to Turkey. Worked there since, then returned home to Romania. Found out his wife told the government he'd died a long time ago. Can't get a bank account, a job, etc. because he's legally dead.

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
Ha. Didn't read the whole article, but it would appear he left his wife 20yrs ago and moved to Turkey. Worked there since, then returned home to Romania. Found out his wife told the government he'd died a long time ago. Can't get a bank account, a job, etc. because he's legally dead.
Sounds like the same problems Dracula faced.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I've only painted like half my house since I moved in. I struggle with the desire to do anything work like at home. I didn't even paint all of the trim (lol..).

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I still haven't touched my punch. We bought it 2 yrs ago. Painted int/ext. I demo'd a little wall by the front door that needs to be 6in. More narrow, ran into a problem with the damn framing that'll need to change before I can move the stud and never re rocked it. Kitchen lid still has texture spots that need touch up, etc.lololol. some one once said "if you live with a contractor, you live in an unfinished house." I have to agree...lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Time Traveler
1,624 Posts
I see rascist comments are still a thing here

I bought a Festool midi and RO90, think it’s a 90...I’m almost a real painter
And I get in trouble for it again. I didn't mean to start racism up again if it had been a problem in the past. Sorry.

But I kinda think having such standards for "real painters" is rather insensitive. A lot of painters might have thought they were "real painters" before.

I see demeaning other painters is still a thing here.

Reactions: slinger58

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,648
But I kinda think having such standards for "real painters" is rather insensitive. A lot of painters might have thought they were "real painters" before.

I see demeaning other painters is still a thing here.
I’m sorry, Underdog. My comment was self deprecating, as anyone that knows my shtick would know I constantly refer to myself as a ‘ fake painter’.

·
Anonymous Tard
601 Posts
I still haven't touched my punch. We bought it 2 yrs ago. Painted int/ext. I demo'd a little wall by the front door that needs to be 6in. More narrow, ran into a problem with the damn framing that'll need to change before I can move the stud and never re rocked it. Kitchen lid still has texture spots that need touch up, etc.lololol. some one once said "if you live with a contractor, you live in an unfinished house." I have to agree...lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I still have a drywall patch in my hallway that I never finished from when I put my foot through the ceiling doing blow in insulation in the attic. I have some weird kind of popcorn in the main areas, except for this giant patch.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
I’m sorry, Underdog. My comment was self deprecating, as anyone that knows my shtick would know I constantly refer to myself as a ‘ fake painter’.

Say, I was wondering where you been.
Thought maybe you'd retired or something. Not saying you're old or anything like that, ya know. Well, not like RH or Wolf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,652
Say, I was wondering where you been.
Thought maybe you'd retired or something. Not saying you're old or anything like that, ya know. Well, not like RH or Wolf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will never be able to retire, the curse of being a single old lady. Pre emptive apologies to all single old ladies.

Let’s just say it’s difficult to want to spend time in a place where mods tell you to stop acting like a baby instead of addressing the real issue. Wah! Pre emptive apologies to all mods and babies.

I’m working more than ever, not sure how. I usually have off from December to March. Just ended a six week stint working two jobs, seven days a week because my helpers were flakes.
Just had a b-day, I’m very f kn old

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
I see my St Patrick's day comment was removed. I feel i should explain why i said what i said. I am part Irish. When i started to learn about Irish history i was stuck by how the Irish where subjected to every single horrible thing that any other racial group has been subjected to in history, and how little anyone seems to care about it. Slavery, genocide, just about any racial injustice anyone could endure the Irish have survived for over a thousand years. In high school i decided i would no longer participate in a holiday when the patron saint of my heritage was celebrated by needless drinking and debauchery and decorations depicting cartoonish stereotypical images of my ancestors ancient mythology. In recent years many, many racial groups have protested the same type of imagery and have caused many changes in the sports world.

This past year when the Cleveland Indians decided to eliminate the use of their long time logo "Chief Wahoo", i realized that the exact same stereotyping of the Irish has actually been institutionalized by our schools, our government, our universities, our mass media, etc. Why is it that the logo for one of the most influential universities in our country (Notre Dame) is a depiction of a drunken, brawling Irishman wearing an extremely stereotypical leprechaun outfit? It that right? I don't think it is.

Part of this feeling comes from finding out why my first Irish ancestor came to America, and what he had to do to get here. There was a royal warrant for his arrest. The punishment if he was caught? Death by hanging. The charge? Smuggling. Smuggling food from Scotland to Ireland to feed his starving family. Why where they starving? Because the English tried to exterminate them. When he got here, having had to leave his wife and two children behind, he lived in a tenement room with 8 other people, 6 of whom died of tuberculosis within 6 months of him moving in. Eventually he moved to Eastern Ohio, solely because of his distilling talents. After 13 years, he was able to move his wife and children, albeit quite secretly, to Ohio.

They became one of the first families in eastern Ohio to take on the abolitionist cause, frequently using their smuggling expertise to help runaway slaves cross the Ohio river and into the underground railway system. This was done at great risk to them.
Knowing these things now, with the help of the internet, makes me quite upset that St Patrick's day is celebrated the way it is, with no concern at all for the feelings of those of us who know the true history of the Irish people and St Patrick in particular. He is our Martin Luther King jr. x10. He saved the christian faith in Europe and not just Ireland. Now a question that is kind of hard on some peoples feelings but i want to put this in perspective. What if white people dressed up as Aunt Jemima on Martin Luther King Jr. day? How would people feel about that? That's how i feel now when i see school kids dressed as leprechauns and people getting drunk in bars wearing "kiss me i'm Irish!" T-shirts. It isn't right. It has never been right.

Don't get me started on what i found out about my jewish greatgrandmothers brother and his family. The last mention of his name was on a freight manifest for a railway line in 1941. Not one of his descendants exist. So lets talk about racism.

Reactions: Wildbill7145

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
all i'm really saying is that i think i have the right to make a few snarky comments about St. Patrick's day on occasion. I think my ancestors deserve that much.

And you don't even have the right COLOR! It should be BLUE not green!

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
all i'm really saying is that i think i have the right to make a few snarky comments about St. Patrick's day on occasion. I think my ancestors deserve that much.

And you don't even have the right COLOR! It should be BLUE not green!
I removed it - along with several others.

I’m not any uber PC type, but a snarky comment about any ethnic group or nationality opens the door to others making similar remarks, some of which will eventually cross the line that the OP likely never meant to cross. And what is considered a harmless “joke” to some might not be not at all funny to others. So, you can make all such remarks that you wish - just not here.

And don’t even think about arguing this point with me.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
exactly my point!

·
Anonymous Tard
601 Posts
Then why didn't you delete mine? I'm pretty sure holocaust jokes trump the Irish. And yes I'm a horrible person.

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
Done. Hadn't noticed it before.
Yep - same here.

Then why didn't you delete mine? I'm pretty sure holocaust jokes trump the Irish. And yes I'm a horrible person.

Although we try, we are not omnipotent* - yet, so thanks for the heads up.

*If need be, look it up - and skip the little blue pill jokes.

2641 - 2660 of 3923 Posts