Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

3641 - 3660 of 3923 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Well, I guess because the critics say so, it must be great. I watched the trailer and found nothing to compel me to watch. The cast is kind of lackluster....a couple of singers, an ex NBA player, and a comedic actor with questionable talents in both comedy and acting. Usually when a trailer uses overly dramatic music and offers nothing else, there is nothing else there.

I wouldn't loose sleep over looking for merit in the film, CA. I'm guessing none exists. I'd just put it behind you and move on.

·
Super Moderator
6,358 Posts
Ice storm yesterday had everyone freaking out. Now Sunday morning and everyone is getting very loud amber alerts saying nothing happened at a nuclear power plant and everyone should remain calm. Then more loud amber alerts saying that we mean business and nothing happened dammit! STAY CALM PEOPLE! The internet is assploding.

I've seen more Homer Simpson memes this morning than I knew existed.

·
Administrator
19,580 Posts
Ice storm yesterday had everyone freaking out. Now Sunday morning and everyone is getting very loud amber alerts saying nothing happened at a nuclear power plant and everyone should remain calm. Then more loud amber alerts saying that we mean business and nothing happened dammit! STAY CALM PEOPLE! The internet is assploding.

Next time any of you Canadians start ragging on the USA, remember that it was us who gave you that cultural icon. :biggrin:

·
Administrator
19,580 Posts
They are predicting lowering temps and incoming Pacific storms for mid-week, typically the ideal condition for us to get a snow event. As of now, the prediction is 2-5” on the valley floor so kids are already celebrating for a possible snow day and their parents are stocking up with any and everything they might need to survive. We are such snow wimps.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
64* in Baltimore last night for the football game. I had about the same in Northern PA yesterday. Not typical for this time of year around these parts. No ice or snow for us. My neighbor got a new snowblower for the front of his tractor this year, I suspect that may have something to do with the lack of snow in our area this year.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,647
I’m hoping Baltimore stays a balmy 64*, less oil for me to buy this season. I think it was a couple years ago my oil bill was around 500/mo from November to April.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Why did you go see the movie?
A buddy of mine invited me to the movie. We hadn't seen each other for a while, and either a movie, or a game of pool is what we would occasionally do, including a couple of beers.

This time, he had already purchased the tickets online for the movie Uncut Gem. It was playing at one of those fancy cinema theaters where you sit in a reclining chair and have food and drink served to you.

Me being the film critic, I couldn't help asking him "WTF did you want to see this for?" He said it got good reviews and was nominated for a film award. I'm thinking the standards in cinema have deteriorated along with everything else.

And Frankly, I'd rather have the old theater seats with a box of popcorn, chocolate covered raisons, and a Sprite instead of Chicken Alfredo and a shot of Yeager while watching a movie. It distracts from the experience.

·
Administrator
19,580 Posts
On behalf of our nation, we thank you.
And on behalf of ours, you are most welcome. Would you like to keep him?

Note of interest; Brad Bird, one of the head writers/directors for the Simpsons for it’s first five years or so, grew up in our town (my wife was pretty good friends with his older sister). He eventually went to the work for Pixar where he won an academy award for the movie The Incredibles. In it, he had references to our town (school and teacher names, same school mascots and colors, movie theater, street names, etc) sprinkled throughout the movie. It was pretty neat spotting his nods to his home town in the film.

·
Super Moderator
6,358 Posts
I’m hoping Baltimore stays a balmy 64*, less oil for me to buy this season. I think it was a couple years ago my oil bill was around 500/mo from November to April.

Wow, I remember those days. When we first moved back to Ontario we lived in a rental with a crappy old oil furnace. We were paying $800/mo for heat and the house was still freezing cold. I told my wife we were buying a house and getting a wood stove that year whether we liked the house or not. Now we pay about $500/yr with a bit of labour on my part.

·
Registered
936 Posts

I was working on an oceanfront property only a few feet above the mean high tide mark a couple of years ago. I received an emergency alert on my iPhone for an incoming Tsunami where the home was located. I dropped my tools and jumped into my truck, heading for higher ground. The alert was sent in error. I was kinda bummed having to go back to work after finding out it was just a test by the National Weather Service.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Well, I guess because the critics say so, it must be great. I watched the trailer and found nothing to compel me to watch. The cast is kind of lackluster....a couple of singers, an ex NBA player, and a comedic actor with questionable talents in both comedy and acting. Usually when a trailer uses overly dramatic music and offers nothing else, there is nothing else there.

I wouldn't loose sleep over looking for merit in the film, CA. I'm guessing none exists. I'd just put it behind you and move on.
In terms of Artistic value, Uncut Gems was a paint by numbers. I suppose what bothers me the most is the logistical feat it takes to pursue entertainment in the San Francisco Bay Area. Now that my acquaintances and family members are spread out all over the region, I have to fight traffic, bridge tolls, parking, and snotty service people at trendy shopping centers and venues that basically emit contempt for anyone over the age of fifty.

·
Super Moderator
6,358 Posts
I was kinda bummed having to go back to work after finding out it was just a test by the National Weather Service.

You could always just not go back to work for the day and then show up the next day with tears in your eyes saying "Oh, thank god we're still alive." Just pretend you didn't hear about it being a test.

I think it was in the last couple of years they started doing the amber alerts on cel phones here in Ontario. It was freaking people out having their phones go bonkers in the middle of the night. People were raging they were being alerted about kids going missing 500Km away, not understanding that people actually drive cars.

Can't even remember how many thousands of people were dialing 911 to complain about being woken up. They still complain when it happens. Kind of sad.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Natural gas is the way to go, if available. About 2007(?) my daughter and her husband bought their first house, oil heat. That's the year that heating oil nearly tripled, up to about $4.00/gal. They spent almost $2,000 to heat a 1,700 sf house at 68* avg. temp. When I found that out, I had the oil burner replaced with a gas unit for about $5,000. Their heating bill hasn't been over $500 since, keeping the place at a more comfortable 72* avg. Until this year the price for gas had continued to fall, their bill getting cheaper each year. I think this year saw a 3-4 % raise.

The conversion to gas paid for itself in less than 4 years. You can't even heat with wood as cheap as you can with gas.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I was working on an oceanfront property only a few feet above the mean high tide mark a couple of years ago. I received an emergency alert on my iPhone for an incoming Tsunami where the home was located. I dropped my tools and jumped into my truck, heading for higher ground. The alert was sent in error. I was kinda bummed having to go back to work after finding out it was just a test by the National Weather Service.
When I first got a smartphone, one night about 3 am I was blasted out of a nice cozy sleep by my phone making a God awful noise. Being groggy, I at first thought it was the alarm in my house going off, so I took my little friend out of its bedside resting place. Then I realized it was my phone...flash flood warning for an area 50 miles away.

The next day I learned how to turn the alert feature off. I like living on the edge!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
As others have said get rid of oil and go to Nat Gas, I just viewed my new bill online and the cost per therm is only 0.27.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,658
Yeah, I guess gas is better. I did the math when it came time about five years ago to replace the furnace and believe it or not, it was less expensive to stay with oil for many reasons.

If you think about it, Baltimore generally doesn’t have cold winters. Couple of years ago was not a normal winter for us. Anyway, my thermostat stays at 65* and I’ve never worn wool socks since leaving Chicago many years ago.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
3641 - 3660 of 3923 Posts