Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

3661 - 3680 of 3923 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,661
Yeah, I guess gas is better. I did the math when it came time about five years ago to replace the furnace and believe it or not, it was less expensive to stay with oil for many reasons.

If you think about it, Baltimore generally doesn’t have cold winters. Couple of years ago was not a normal winter for us. Anyway, my thermostat stays at 65* and I’ve never worn wool socks since leaving Chicago many years ago.
Edit- I should have said there were additional factors besides cost of gas vs oil. Gas is a less expensive fuel, but I had other things to consider.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
ccf (the s was added for plurality, sorry if that added confusion)- just another way to measure gas. There are several units gas companies use as a billing unit, mine uses ccf or centum cubic feet (100 cubic feet /unit).
Gas is also available by the gallon- and liter- as well as from the consumption of various legumes.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Yeah, I guess gas is better. I did the math when it came time about five years ago to replace the furnace and believe it or not, it was less expensive to stay with oil for many reasons.

If you think about it, Baltimore generally doesn’t have cold winters. Couple of years ago was not a normal winter for us. Anyway, my thermostat stays at 65* and I’ve never worn wool socks since leaving Chicago many years ago.
Yeah, you have to keep in mind heating oil prices 5 years ago were at a low point , about $1.50/gal. or so. 20 years ago they hit an all time high at over $4.00/gal. They didn't stay at either point for more than a few months, and averaged about $3.40 over the past ten years. I guess right now it averages about $2.50/gal.

Using the $1.50 price to base your analysis on would have given false reresults, making the savings of switching to gas look far less than actually would have been realized. Of course hind sight is 20/20.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,666

Using the $1.50 price to base your analysis on would have given false reresults, making the savings of switching to gas look far less than actually would have been realized. Of course hind sight is 20/20.
Man, I know I’m not very good at explaining myself sometimes. I still made out better staying with oil, in my opinion, based on all the factors I had to consider in making the decision. In hindsight I’d probably do the same thing again.

But it is nice Baltimore is hot this winter as 2019 was a really bad year for faux.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Man, I know I’m not very good at explaining myself sometimes. I still made out better staying with oil, in my opinion, based on all the factors I had to consider in making the decision. In hindsight I’d probably do the same thing again.

But it is nice Baltimore is hot this winter as 2019 was a really bad year for faux.
All that matters is you are happy with your decision.

Don't worry, 2020 will be better!:smile:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

lyyn, you could always move back to the Motherland from whence you came, it would really be a gas!:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,669
lyyn, you could always move back to the Motherland from whence you came, it would really be a gas!:biggrin:
That would be great. Kielbasa and deep dish every night.

My brother’s doing fine with his new job there. Me and my other brother may be coming out soon for a Blackhawks game.

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
That would be great. Kielbasa and deep dish every night.

My brother’s doing fine with his new job there. Me and my other brother may be coming out soon for a Blackhawks game.
When we went to Germany and Italy this past September, I fell in love with German food. But, it is quite heavy and rich so we found ourselves needing to take a break from it from time to time. By comparison, Italian food was something I never felt that way about. Although it can be pretty rich, it never seemed to weigh us down like the German cuisine did.

Reactions: fauxlynn

·
Super Moderator
6,801 Posts
Next thing you'll be telling me is you need a fork and knife!!!
If you've never had a good authentic Chicago deep dish pizza you just can't understand. I haven't so I don't understand either.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,676 (Edited)
RH, I’m pretty sure kielbasa is Polish. It was in my house anyway, cooked by my Polish mom and my Polish grandma. Or they never told me the truth.
I’m having trouble thinking of German food except for sauerkraut.

Lightiningboy or whatever your name is, I knew there was something off about you. Take your folded pizza and, stuff it!??

I’d go see the Hawks with my brothers even if they are losers. (The Hawks, not my brothers)

When my brother and I moved to the east coast, he had a friend mail him a tiny sliver of pizza in an envelope. That’s how much we missed it.

Edit- apologies in advance for misunderstanding anyone.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Pennsylvania has a huge Polish and German population. Pierogies, pigs in a blanket, Kielbasa....all great polish food that I was fortunate enough to have friends of that heritage who's mom's and grandmothers knew how to cook . Some great food there!

Don't forget to put lots of ketchup on those dogs (or bratwursts)!

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Pennsylvania has a huge Polish and German population. Pierogies, pigs in a blanket, Kielbasa....all great polish food that I was fortunate enough to have friends of that heritage who's mom's and grandmothers knew how to cook . Some great food there!

Don't forget to put lots of ketchup on those dogs (or bratwursts)!
Ketchup on dogs is criminal. Mustard baby!

3661 - 3680 of 3923 Posts