Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1601 - 1620 of 3923 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,358 Posts
I'm a parakeet person.
I'm trying to get into bird watching. Not hardcore or anything, just around the house.

Set myself up a feeder that after several years of trying has physically and mentally outwitted the squirrels. Over the last week we've had several different varieties of finches, wood peckers, etc. Then yesterday one flew into our patio window and killed itself. I kind of felt involved or at least minimally responsible having drawn them into our deck area.

Always gonna be a dog person though.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
I'm not super interested, or even an avian expert, but I enjoy the birds when they come around. We have Oreoles, Mocking Birds, doves, humming birds, and a variety of others, including Turkeys. I should have took a picture of the flock of sixteen turkeys I came across on my bike the other day.

I love one particular Mocking Bird. He would go through a series of bird calls, including some man made made sounds. I think one was a leaf blower and the other a car alarm.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I'm not super interested, or even an avian expert, but I enjoy the birds when they come around. We have Oreoles, Mocking Birds, doves, humming birds, and a variety of others, including Turkeys. I should have took a picture of the flock of sixteen turkeys I came across on my bike the other day.

I love one particular Mocking Bird. He would go through a series of bird calls, including some man made made sounds. I think one was a leaf blower and the other a car alarm.
As a lifelong fan of the Baltimore Orioles, I call intentional misspelling by a San Fransisco Giants fan. :D

·
Administrator
19,580 Posts
As a lifelong fan of the Baltimore Orioles, I call intentional misspelling by a San Fransisco Giants fan. :D
Yeah, I think the mascot for the "Oreoles" is a big chocolate cookie isn't it?

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts

........... I was going to correct the spelling and earn my pay , but you guys beat me too it

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
You know, something tells me I'm going to regret eating that entire three year old can of Hormel chili (with beans) I found for lunch today.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
You know, something tells me I'm going to regret eating that entire three year old can of Hormel chili (with beans) I found for lunch today.
You're in good shape. The Hormel site says un-damaged sealed cans will last idefinitely. However, improperly chewed beans can cause gas. If that occurs, save the fireworks for that annoying BEHR customer of yours.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
You're in good shape. The Hormel site says un-damaged sealed cans will last idefinitely. However, improperly chewed beans can cause gas. If that occurs, save the fireworks for that annoying BEHR customer of yours.
Oh NOW you tell me!

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Yeah that was not a good idea. And I have to go costume shopping with m'lady tonight. This may be awkward. ( I'd hate to be the next person to pick up any costumes I try on!)

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Maybe this should be moved to the lacquer explosion thread or something.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,611
Since this is like the kitchen junk drawer of threads, I'm just going to put this here....

How do I know if the windows my client wants me to paint shouldn't be painted? I mean they are new, slick as all get out on the actual window. The jambs are sort of like 'soft' vinyl????IDK. It just seems like oil primer would pop right off.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
tell em, I agree, then you for sue have no problem, over a century of experience there:whistling2:
Tell them maybe next time don't be so cheap and get the windows in the color of their choice. I haven't had good consistent long term adhesion with any paint I've sold yet. I had some Manorhall Timeless that i painted a couple of vinyl windows with and after a couple of years it literally popped of. Along with the difficulty getting a paint to stick you have the added problems of there being variables in the vinyl itself. Some are ok to paint and others will peel pretty quickly. It actually has to do with the plasticizer when they extrude it. It can leach out of the vinyl over a period of time and will create a film between the paint and the vinyl. Doesn't happen all the time and is dependent on the quality of the vinyl.

Also in most climates there can be enough of a temperature change between seasons that the vinyl can expand and contract enough to cause some paints to pop off. That "soft" area will do this the worst.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,617
The phrase "We don't paint those" comes to mind......

Yes, I've said several variations of that, they are not listening.

Tell them maybe next time don't be so cheap and get the windows in the color of their choice. I haven't had good consistent long term adhesion with any paint I've sold yet. I had some Manorhall Timeless that i painted a couple of vinyl windows with and after a couple of years it literally popped of. Along with the difficulty getting a paint to stick you have the added problems of there being variables in the vinyl itself. Some are ok to paint and others will peel pretty quickly. It actually has to do with the plasticizer when they extrude it. It can leach out of the vinyl over a period of time and will create a film between the paint and the vinyl. Doesn't happen all the time and is dependent on the quality of the vinyl.

Also in most climates there can be enough of a temperature change between seasons that the vinyl can expand and contract enough to cause some paints to pop off. That "soft" area will do this the worst.
Okay, I cannot believe I'm going to put this in writing that in a few minutes I will be unable to delete.......This information is actually very helpful to me. Thank you,PACman. This room has no heat,so painting these just brings along too much uncertainty.:yes:

·
Time Traveler
1,624 Posts
Yes, I've said several variations of that, they are not listening.
:yes:
Lol... I've been having fun interpreting that statement...

"We try to stay away from painting those"
"We don't like doing those"
"We avoid painting them"
"We are reluctant to paint them"
"We aren't confident that the work will be trustworthy enough"
"I don't feel like it"

Sure seems like "We don't paint those" would be easy enough to understand.

I say "I don't wrap air conditioning vents with wallpaper" and they seem to get it.

1601 - 1620 of 3923 Posts