Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 3923 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yes I did that from 1986 to 1993 on the new houses but it was always flat paint on the walls. You can do it with flat sheen. Anything that has a sheen from my experience you'll have to prime it first.
Your point is well taken. I was mostly referring to the self priming qualities of some paints. The UH egshell will bond to drywall as well, but as you pointed out, the sheen quality will sometimes be compromised.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
I would be curious as to what specific products your referring to that claim to be self priming, yet call for a primer over drywall on the TDS.

I know the P&P phrase wracks the nerves of a lot of professionals. How about "direct to substrate coating"? That better? That's what Aura is. Never seen a problem applying it directly over drywall and the specs certainly don't call for any primer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are pretty sneaky about it, in fact i never would have caught it if i hadn't read about someone who was denied a warranty claim because of the shady data sheet. Basically in the column where it shows the substrates and the paint/primer requirements, it says two coats on drywall. BUT in the opening paragraph of that column, it says "when applied to a properly prepared surface". When you read all the way through the data sheet to where it says 'Surface preparation", it says to prime drywall with such and such drywall primer. It was a behr product but right off the top of my head I don't remember which one it was.

And if you press them on the issue they will say that the sales clerk or where ever the customer got the notion that they didn't need a primer on bare drywall was wrong, that it clearly states in the data sheet that a primer is proper surface preparation.They just call it preparation and not a coating requirement. Crooked as hell if you ask me.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Yes I did that from 1986 to 1993 on the new houses but it was always flat paint on the walls. You can do it with flat sheen. Anything that has a sheen from my experience you'll have to prime it first.
Yup. But even that depends on what the expectations of the finish coat are. If you want a nice even satin finish, you really need to prime unless you are planning on three or four coats. This is also one of the reasons people always say eggshell doesn't touch up worth a crap. It is not a color issue but a sheen holdout issue. Prime the drywall when topcoating with anything with a sheen and you will eliminate the possibility of having to apply multiple coats of paint to get the proper holdout. The same with matte finish. Anything but flat on bare drywall is a fools game. For one thing you are putting way too much faith in the drywall quality as well as the tape/mud quality. Much better to prime in the long run if you can.

Reactions: 007 Dave and chrisn

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
This year marks twenty years in the faux world for me.

Feeling

Very

Old
My hip arthritis is really acting up this winter so I definitely understand.

Reactions: fauxlynn

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,766
Stop stalking me, you perv.......I don't want to hear about your hips!

I'm bored.....POF is getting boring,men are boring.....rainy weather is boring...

I have an appointment tomorrow to discuss the possibilities of wall finishes for a three story turret....did I spell that right?........add the ceiling and its four stories.....

·
Registered
14,969 Posts

I'm bored.....POF is getting boring,men are boring.....rainy weather is boring...

I have an appointment tomorrow to discuss the possibilities of wall finishes for a three story turret....did I spell that right?........add the ceiling and its four stories.....
The internet is evolving. Social media is finally reflecting the mundaness of reality. Things are certainly looking up!

·
Registered
11,338 Posts

I'm so old i can remember when you could make a simple comment on the interweb without being called a perv!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,769
I'm so old i can remember when you could make a simple comment on the interweb without being called a perv!
You love it when I harass you.

Well, I have a date tonight with someone I'm not attracted to......yay

·
Administrator
19,580 Posts
Reactions: fauxlynn

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Someone needs to create a "shot beer through my nose" emoji for me to post after some of the behr paint comments. (or s/t stain comments)

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
1761 - 1780 of 3923 Posts