Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Painter
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, what would you do? I'm pretty sure I know at least a couple things I want to do.

One is to refuse to begin painting walls even if it means abandoning the job. I mean refuse even if homeowners say just do it.

Second is out of the goodness of my heart (for the homeowner, recently lost their husband and father 馃槚) finish the idiots' cleanup and work at no extra charge....uh, ain't happening but seriously want to just get the job done. It has crossed my mind tho honestly.

Last charge them for the extra work, even though the idiot drywallers already claimed to be done I suppose, since they have been FULLY paid...sigh. Yeah, not good.

I'm not even kidding, these poor people have loads upon loads of dust everywhere, on all furniture, clothing, bedding, electronics, window blinds, piled up on all trim...there is dried mud all over the place, along tops of kitchen cabinets, light fixtures, ceiling fans, trim, newly laid hardwood floors, blobs of dried mud on walls and more. I guess it was supposed to be at least a lvl 4 job on ceilings as they are smooth but unfortunately loads of pitting. There is pitting all over the walls (remodel, some new drywall some patches over paint). List goes on and on.

I, via help of homeowner, had drywall guy show back up twice and he half ass did much of anything. First time he walked in he had a sanding block in hand ready to get started lol...I should've known then and there. He even asked ME if I had any spackling lol.

I addressed so much to homeowner and her son who claims to be in charge but neither of them seem overly concerned I guess. Communication lacks a bit.

Drywall guy showed back up a 2nd time on a Saturday (avoiding me most likely), did some patching and crap sanding and still didnt finish or cleanup. Told me in a whiney voice, "well I'll (himself) have to go buy a shop vac...waaaaaahhh!!". Oh he complained how there wasn't much lighting and there was furniture in the way.

So he was supposed to show back up yesterday and I took the time to walk around home and make out a to do list and stick it on hall wall. No show and no show today.

He claims to have been doing what he does for 18 yrs. I have no clue if he's solo but I can't find his business online.

If he doesn't show back up and fix it correctly, what would you do and what is the last thing I should tell homeowners before I either ditch the job or move forward? I'm tired of trying to get things organized the way it should've been the day I walked in to start. Sorry for long rant and thanks for taking time to read if you do.

Registered
Painter
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally would walk and not look back. Sorry to the homeowner and their loss, but its not your responsibility. If you take this on, you will own it all, you may end up a hero, but I think you are in for a ride.
Yeah I don't even do drywall only small repairs. I could but there's a reason I chose to be a PAINTER. Me and stilts would never mix anyway, just ask my crutches after my ankle break years ago. I just feel horrible for the two young kids (20s) living there having to breath that crap everyday. Everytime you go to move something a woft of dust poofs up. Utter bullshit!! That dude needs to be reported asap. Never seen anything like it.

Registered
Painter
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would give the home owner a price for cleaning. 馃し鈥嶁檧锔 It's unfortunate, but not really your problem, but it is holding you up..
Thank you, I'd be fine with that but the correction of the drywall job still looms, that sadly will involve more sanding. It's a mess I tell ya. Didn't get much sleep last night but I know I don't need to let it bother me.

Administrator
You sound like a decent guy who feels for the customer. But still, you are running a business, not a charity. It is not on you, but on them (since, I assume, they hired him) to deal with this guy. But, the reality is that some of the fallout from this guy鈥檚 work will most likely still land on you.

Personally, I would give them a list of what needs to be addressed and tell them they need to contact the guy and deal with him and that you will then do a walk through afterwards. Then, any additional work still needing
to be done will be at your time and material rate. May sound harsh, but as already mentioned, if you try to be the good guy here this could end up being ALL your problem, and an expensive loss as well.

Registered
Painter
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You sound like a decent guy who feels for the customer. But still, you are running a business, not a charity. It is not on you, but on them (since, I assume, they hired him) to deal with this guy. But, the reality is that some of the fallout from this guy鈥檚 work will most likely still land on you.

Personally, I would give them a list of what needs to be addressed and tell them they need to contact the guy and deal with him and that you will then do a walk through afterwards. Then, any additional work still needing
to be done will be at your time and material rate. May sound harsh, but as already mentioned, if you try to be the good guy here this could end up being ALL your problem, and an expensive loss as well.
Good advice and I agree (I'm a gal btw 馃槉). I did make a list for the dry wall guy on Tuesday (still no show) and finally got to have a talk with head honcho today, is going to go thru the list.

He basically says they won't hold me responsible for any flaws. You know a lot of our work (or mine anyway lol) consists of trust even with contracts so when they approve drywall (even if I don't) I will create and send a text for confirmation on the agreed terms.

He says he knows it's not going to be perfect (the current wall paint job is also pretty bad in spots) he even suggested flat paint I said not a good idea), I said you won't know how imperfect it is until the sheen starts going on. One of my fav saying tho, 'stay tuned'.

Thank you for taking time to reply...I know you likely don't want me to unload my 'crisis' on you lol but Its nice to have understanding. Merry Christmas to you and yours ~

Registered
Under no circumstance would I proceed with painting walls if there is drywall work that still needs to be done. I don't care what they say it still reflects poorly on your work if you apply over crappy drywall work.

I would put together a list of all the extras that need to get done before you paint and give them an estimate.

Odds are they will pay you to clean up everything and do all the mud work.

Registered
Painter
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Under no circumstance would I proceed with painting walls if there is drywall work that still needs to be done. I don't care what they say it still reflects poorly on your work if you apply over crappy drywall work.

I would put together a list of all the extras that need to get done before you paint and give them an estimate.

Odds are they will pay you to clean up everything and do all the mud work.
I agree. Had a good long chat with homeowner today about it all. Told him I'm not going to even order the paint until the problems are corrected.

Administrator
Good advice and I agree (I'm a gal btw 馃槉). I did make a list for the dry wall guy on Tuesday (still no show) and finally got to have a talk with head honcho today, is going to go thru the list.

He basically says they won't hold me responsible for any flaws. You know a lot of our work (or mine anyway lol) consists of trust even with contracts so when they approve drywall (even if I don't) I will create and send a text for confirmation on the agreed terms.

He says he knows it's not going to be perfect (the current wall paint job is also pretty bad in spots) he even suggested flat paint I said not a good idea), I said you won't know how imperfect it is until the sheen starts going on. One of my fav saying tho, 'stay tuned'.

Thank you for taking time to reply...I know you likely don't want me to unload my 'crisis' on you lol but Its nice to have understanding. Merry Christmas to you and yours ~
Sharing problems and concerns and asking for advice is one of the best things about being part of PT. No matter how long we have been in business none of us knows it all (but Wildbill comes pretty close) or have seen it all - but the collective experiences and knowledge levels represented by our membership is huge.

Registered
I will go ahead and paint this $hit, but it's gonna cost an extra $xxxx to fix this shoddy workmanship.

Black and white....no waffling middle ground.

Registered
I am very fortunate that over the years I have built relationships with guys in other trades that can help me in situations like this. I know a good drywall guy. I know some good carpenters. When I need them they show up because they know when they need me I will show up. My customers trust me because they know when they have problems I will help them figure things out. You may not have any of these connections at this point in your career, but I am just giving you this information to try to help you in the future. In your situation I would let the customer know that I would do whatever I could to make the job turn out. I'm not a drywall guy but I'm pretty good with a mud knife. I got that way from learning from necessity. If you can turn this turd in to something respectable it will be a good mark on your resume. Good Luck!!

Registered
Painter
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sharing problems and concerns and asking for advice is one of the best things about being part of PT. No matter how long we have been in business none of us knows it all (but Wildbill comes pretty close) or have seen it all - but the collective experiences and knowledge levels represented by our membership is huge.
Haha I will have to see who wild bill is someday. I'm going to assume he paints massive skyscrapers for big wigs that want us all to get the clot shot.
I am very fortunate that over the years I have built relationships with guys in other trades that can help me in situations like this. I know a good drywall guy. I know some good carpenters. When I need them they show up because they know when they need me I will show up. My customers trust me because they know when they have problems I will help them figure things out. You may not have any of these connections at this point in your career, but I am just giving you this information to try to help you in the future. In your situation I would let the customer know that I would do whatever I could to make the job turn out. I'm not a drywall guy but I'm pretty good with a mud knife. I got that way from learning from necessity. If you can turn this turd in to something respectable it will be a good mark on your resume. Good Luck!!
Hold up...a customer is someone you serve on the opposite side of a grocery counter. Also a customer could be a one time job. If you have repetitive business it turns into clients. Clients. Look it up.

I get ya. I'm just a friggin painter I'm not painting homes in Hollyweird. Unfortunately in my neck of the southeast states I dont know anyone reputable. Each person grunts n grumbles sometimes things are out of wack.

Thanks for the reply. Merry Christmas to you and yours ~

Premium Member
Haha I will have to see who wild bill is someday. I'm going to assume he paints massive skyscrapers for big wigs that want us all to get the clot shot.

Hold up...a customer is someone you serve on the opposite side of a grocery counter. Also a customer could be a one time job. If you have repetitive business it turns into clients. Clients. Look it up.

I get ya. I'm just a friggin painter I'm not painting homes in Hollyweird. Unfortunately in my neck of the southeast states I dont know anyone reputable. Each person grunts n grumbles sometimes things are out of wack.

Thanks for the reply. Merry Christmas to you and yours ~
( one is more expensive)

Administrator
Yep, you nailed it. That鈥檚 exactly who he is.馃槒

Reactions: Wildbill7145

Super Moderator
Merry Christmas. Jerk.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts