Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
...I'm going to assume he paints massive skyscrapers for big wigs that want us all to get the clot shot.
Lol, no if memory serves, he lives in the idyllic countryside, has a handsome dog and loves Ben Moore reverse pewter. He's humble, knowledgeable and a good storyteller. The 'wild' side of him is not fully known though --thought he enjoyed fishing or hunting in the wilderness... :)

Merry Xmas ~

·
Administrator
21,731 Posts
Lol, no if memory serves, he lives in the idyllic countryside, has a handsome dog and loves Ben Moore reverse pewter. He's humble, knowledgeable and a good storyteller. The 'wild' side of him is not fully known though --thought he enjoyed fishing or hunting in the wilderness... :)

Merry Xmas ~
Well, he’s Canadian so he really doesn’t have a choice - since the entire country is pretty much wilderness.😗
I enjoy giving him a hard time.

·
Super Moderator
6,801 Posts
Well, he’s Canadian so he really doesn’t have a choice - since the entire country is pretty much wilderness.😗
I enjoy giving him a hard time.
Christmas is now over so FU RH.

Several years ago, I inherited the worst drywall job I've ever seen. Lawyers office, an old heritage building burned and an awful restoration company got the job. I knew the lawyer very well and I'd painted her home and her office previously so she insisted I was doing the painting once the drywallers were done (thanks).

Tape joints were failing everywhere. Entire walls that had been mudded and taped but not sanded got primed. Gauges in walls hadn't been fixed. I could go on and on. Told the restoration company the place was unpaintable. They called the drywallers. Two guys showed up and fixed a few things but the place was still awful. Called again and they sent two different guys who fixed some stuff. Still awful. Called them back again. Head guy shows up and walks up to me and says "WTF is your problem here?" I replied "Everything. The whole place is a disaster." I thought he was going to beat the crap out of me. He storms out and all of a sudden the whole place is full of drywallers. He brought his whole crew and spent the day.

The next day I showed up and it was still a disaster. I spoke to the lawyer and said it wasn't worth bringing them back again. Took me three or four days to fix everything myself, she billed the restoration company for my work. Over the course of painting more taped joints started failing. I had to fix them as I went. Things looked fine when I was done. Now several years later, she's told me that even more tape joints are failing. I haven't had time to go back to fix them and honestly I'm not looking forward to it. I can do it, but I'm not a drywaller so it won't be that fun.

Inheriting a bad drywall job can be your worst nightmare and it can go on for years as stuff continues to fail over time.

Edit to add: I wouldn't exactly say I love Revere Pewter as much as I love the fact that it's not Simply White which I loath due to it's lack of hide. I haven't fished since I was a kid and I've never hunted in my life although I have shot a lot of guns in my day. Thanks for the compliments Painterina. No thanks to RH for being a Fwad.:)

·
Administrator
21,731 Posts
Cold here too. Started snowing around 9:00 last night and woke up to around 4” today. So, missed a white Christmas by just a day. Been snowing off and on all day with another few inches predicted tonight.

Reactions: stelzerpaintinginc.

·
Administrator
21,731 Posts
Took that job on I ranted about earlier. Quit tonight after guy from NY told me I charged his mother too much....that he gets cheaper work in NY then here down south.

Y'all were right I shoulda never took the job
What type of idiot makes a stupid comment like that? Guess he should move his mother to NY if he doesn’t like the local rates.

·
Registered
Painter
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes...how do they get away with it...I advised homeowner to turn his rear in to the BBB but that I wasn't going to make that my business.

I've never seen it this bad...going on 21 yrs this coming March.

·
Registered
511 Posts
While obviously empathy towards customers is required to a certain degree, imo construction in general requires you to be a shark. Other people's problems ultimately aren't yours and you don't want to make them as such.

·
Registered
Painter
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
i thought the issues were with the drywaller not the homeowner
I messaged the homeowners son (who lives 1000 miles away), said hey, I don't have the heart to paint over the mess from drywaller so I'm just going to fix it. He sends me the message, hey I get cheaper work in NY...basically saying I should just fix it and stop with the drywall guy junk. I just wanted him to know I'm taking it upon myself to make it right. So, it did end up with homeowners son (who claimed to be head honcho on the project). But yes, the drywall guy is a POS in my book.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts