Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoever painted this left deep brush marks on a knock-down surface. Looks like they brushed on the thick gooey paint from the bottom of the bucket. It appears to be gloss latex.

What is the best way to cover these marks and maintain the texture? I read about sandable primers and wonder about that.

This is not on a whole wall, but is on some very prominent locations such as the sheetrock on framing around the passageways and at the edges of door casing.

Sanding the paint may work but would remove the nice texture created by the knock-down. I'd like to maintain that and give it a new coat of paint.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Whoever painted this left deep brush marks on a knock-down surface. Looks like they brushed on the thick gooey paint from the bottom of the bucket. It appears to be gloss latex.

What is the best way to cover these marks and maintain the texture? I read about sandable primers and wonder about that.

This is not on a whole wall, but is on some very prominent locations such as the sheetrock on framing around the passageways and at the edges of door casing.

Sanding the paint may work but would remove the nice texture created by the knock-down. I'd like to maintain that and give it a new coat of paint.
Do you have any pics? Either way, I'm just thinking it may be a lost cause. Anything you use to try to get rid of the brush marks will likely mar the knockdown. And anything you try to fill the brush marks will fill the knockdown. Maybe some really tedious detail sanding? IDK, but I'm looking forward to hear ideas from people more creative than I.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The brushing could actually be part of the texture. As in, when the joint compound was applied someone brushed it to knock it down instead of only using the knife. I've seen that on some texture before.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I say just paint over it and call it what it is.... Do you really want to retexture that, and hope it blends in? That really doesnt look too horrible to me...

Are you a professional painter?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts