Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I did a search and didn't find any existing threads. Or maybe I just wanted to start my first thread in the new format?).

I've done plenty of Hardie siding, but always just over either newly installed preprimed or just as a refresher or color change over previously painted in which case it's just standard prep.

But I've never encountered any prefinished Hardie. The question is, does anyone know what goes into to the Hardie finish, and if the stuff was brand new could standard exterior paints just go right over the top with no prep? (I'd be looking at MoorGard).

The Q is about a bid, not a current job. A very large (like 50 by 120 yards or so) riding ring building on a horse farm where the siding color is a really dark blue/green. In the standard preprimed, it's a 2 coat job. But I mentioned to the GC that if it went up in something like "Evening Blue" it could be 1 coated. (Push that evening blue toward green just a little bit and it's about right). But, of course, that only works if no strange prep measures have to be taken to go over whatever Hardie does.

So does anyone know? Thanks.

·
Registered
739 Posts
(I did a search and didn't find any existing threads. Or maybe I just wanted to start my first thread in the new format?).

I've done plenty of Hardie siding, but always just over either newly installed preprimed or just as a refresher or color change over previously painted in which case it's just standard prep.

But I've never encountered any prefinished Hardie. The question is, does anyone know what goes into to the Hardie finish, and if the stuff was brand new could standard exterior paints just go right over the top with no prep? (I'd be looking at MoorGard).

The Q is about a bid, not a current job. A very large (like 50 by 120 yards or so) riding ring building on a horse farm where the siding color is a really dark blue/green. In the standard preprimed, it's a 2 coat job. But I mentioned to the GC that if it went up in something like "Evening Blue" it could be 1 coated. (Push that evening blue toward green just a little bit and it's about right). But, of course, that only works if no strange prep measures have to be taken to go over whatever Hardie does.

So does anyone know? Thanks.
Agree with Paramount, I believe the pre-finished paint used on Hardi-board is just an exterior Acrylic Paint. Clean and re-paint.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I’d be more concerned with the female horse trainers than the Hardie, having worked on an equine farm & having had several trysts with trainers & equestrians, even a couple down in your neck of of the woods in VA..all in good fun though..

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d be more concerned with the female horse trainers than the Hardie, having worked on an equine farm & having had several trysts with trainers & equestrians, even a couple down in your neck of of the woods in VA..all in good fun though..
Always a concern ;)

·
Administrator
19,664 Posts
Reactions: Joe67

·
Registered
595 Posts
I always thought (suspected) that Hardi was using A-100. I never was able to confirm or deny my suspicions, but it was probably 8-10 years ago when I had them. It hasn't crossed my mind since. I'll bet they were, though. Not that it is a problem, per se, but a man can air unconfirmed suspicions, cant he?

·
Monarchski
58 Posts
I always thought (suspected) that Hardi was using A-100. I never was able to confirm or deny my suspicions, but it was probably 8-10 years ago when I had them. It hasn't crossed my mind since. I'll bet they were, though. Not that it is a problem, per se, but a man can air unconfirmed suspicions, cant he?
Valspar (before being bought out by Sherwin Williams) supplied all the primer to Hardi so I always figured it was a Valspar topcoat on the prefinished. SW relabels a lot of products so no telling what's on it now.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There shouldn't be any nail heads on hardi. I think its all blind nailed no? Either way, if its rusty, yes. If its galvanized, not necessary.
Yes, properly done it's blind. The only time I have nail heads is a top course where repairs have been patched in. This would be all new.

Thanks all. I'm going to go ahead and assume they just put a conventional exterior acrylic-ish on it and that it can just be cleaned and hit once for a color change.

Of course, why ass-u-me? I learned that the Hardie will just send out free samples based on a simple web form. So I have one on the way and I can obviously find out for sure... I'll let you all know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts