Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A bit of a newbie here; wondering how you all handle or would handle when you spray trim with primer and then two coats. I have had issues pulling tape after 3 coats where some of the paint pulls off.

Considering the amount of paint build-up of three coats, do you ever pull the tape and re-tape? Say: prime, first coat, pull tape, re-tape, final coat?

Or is it easier to just score the tape, pull, and touch up?

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hey John-one way to avoid this would be to make sure you leave a gap ( usually around 1/8") between the tape and what you're painting. This leaves room for the paint to 'land' without 'bridging' the tape, which is what causes the paint to peel off.

Pro tip- you can caulk the tape to seal it so paint won't bleed through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey John-one way to avoid this would be to make sure you leave a gap ( usually around 1/8") between the tape and what you're painting. This leaves room for the paint to 'land' without 'bridging' the tape, which is what causes the paint to peel off.

Pro tip- you can caulk the tape to seal it so paint won't bleed through.
Hey, thanks... my main challenge is where the base meets hardwood floor I have to keep the tape tight there, right? Great tip for taping/spraying door jambs, crown, etc, thanks!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hey, thanks... my main challenge is where the base meets hardwood floor I have to keep the tape tight there, right? Great tip for taping/spraying door jambs, crown, etc, thanks!
Yeah under the base you want to tuck it in as far back as possible. If your getting paint build up there then you may be putting it on too heavy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts