Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
J. R. Painting
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just found a Deck Stain/Seal recipe from my paint rep. Not really my rep, but is in the business. I won't say what company (not Messmer's), and its not sanctioned by a company, but they call it "The Brew."

2 gal. oil semi transparent
2 gal. Timberflex gloss by Messmer's
1 gal. Penetrol

He said that it gets that Sikkens look to it and lasts a long long time. My issue has been that the EPA has taken all the stuff that actually works out of paint, and on decks, it shows up way too soon.

I'm getting this thread started because I couldn't find one like it on here. So I thought it'd be helpful, if anyone has their own time-tested recipes that have worked awesome, to share it on here.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
uhh, you say a paint rep told you to do that? I'd keep quiet about who is was if I were you. At least if you still want them for a rep. But if the guys with the EPA badges start asking questions........

·
J. R. Painting
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uhh, you say a paint rep told you to do that? I'd keep quiet about who is was if I were you. At least if you still want them for a rep. But if the guys with the EPA badges start asking questions........
Hey, fact remains, you can still legally buy all the ingredients. There's no law against it. Man, the EPA sure has everyone by the nuts. I'm just a guy trying to make a living and put on good product for customers....do they have badges?:)

Looking forward to hearing some "anonymous" awesome recipes, then.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Hey, fact remains, you can still legally buy all the ingredients. There's no law against it. Man, the EPA sure has everyone by the nuts. I'm just a guy trying to make a living and put on good product for customers....do they have badges?:)

Looking forward to hearing some "anonymous" awesome recipes, then.
No I don't think they have badges! (they don't need no stinking badges!)
BUT it can be against the mysterious EPA regulations in some states to start mixing stuff together, whether all of the ingredients are compliant or not. They haven't been tested for compliance mixed that way yet, so they are not in compliance. Just like what the paint companies have to do, technically you might have to submit that concoction for testing to be able to use it. Again, there is virtually no provision for enforcement, just some pretty shady regulations that we are all supposed to comply with.

BUT it is against the regulations for someone who is responsible for SELLING a paint product to tell you to do something that may put the product "as applied" out of compliance. Again, whether there is actually anyone to enforce this I have no idea. And I seriously doubt that there is to be honest with you. Anyhow this is why they have taken thinning recommendations off of many paint products, because thinning them at all would put them out of compliance and the paint companies don't want to be liable for that.

So in other words, fellow applicators (painters) can tell you how they make their concoctions but anyone working for a paint company really shouldn't be.

·
Registered
563 Posts

Which product is the "bad" one? We don't worry about the EPA (or any gubmit agency) around these parts. The banjos keep em in their canoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Which product is the "bad" one? We don't worry about the EPA (or any gubmit agency) around these parts. The banjos keep em in their canoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The penetrol is an "additive" and actually can't be recommended to be added to paint in some areas of the country. It's similar to why you can still buy mineral spirits and lacquer thinner but no one can tell you how much you can put in your paint for spray purposes.

Reactions: radio11

·
J. R. Painting
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, I'm not for tip-toeing around and walking on eggshells. Fine, maybe a paint rep can't recommend it in his official status or you, as a contractor, can't say you did this yesterday, but what ratios of penetrol, and other solvent-based items mixed in with different thing have you "heard" works well? Or you you did 20-50 yrs ago when products were abundant and unrestricted? I'd like to have a whole recipe box like Gramma used to have for cooking, only mine would be for painting.
As a side note, it seems like there is a lot of discussion to wade through. But I think PACman has an old recipe for us.:thumbup:

·
A Brush Above
4,682 Posts
So is that better than Floetrol added in?
If you use denatured alchohol to test for oil (latex breaks down with denatured- oil doesnt) its same principle with latex. No more orange peel. Im not a chemist but its a great approach for fantastic plastic.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I just found a Deck Stain/Seal recipe from my paint rep. Not really my rep, but is in the business. I won't say what company (not Messmer's), and its not sanctioned by a company, but they call it "The Brew."

2 gal. oil semi transparent
2 gal. Timberflex gloss by Messmer's
1 gal. Penetrol

He said that it gets that Sikkens look to it and lasts a long long time. My issue has been that the EPA has taken all the stuff that actually works out of paint, and on decks, it shows up way too soon.

I'm getting this thread started because I couldn't find one like it on here. So I thought it'd be helpful, if anyone has their own time-tested recipes that have worked awesome, to share it on here.

Which Timberflex? There are several varieties out there.

Have you tried this? I might want to use it on my deck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.