Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here the deal.

My church has a metal baptism tank that is rusted.

My plan was to use a grinder to get rid of the rust and then paint over it. But my question is:

What paint do I use for that? It must be safe for contact with water and safe for a person to be in the same water with it.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
437 Posts
This seems like a DIY question, and this a professional paint contractor forum, but since it's such a weird question I figured I'd answer. You'd need to look at bathtub reglazing stuff. As far as I can understand it, the Ekopel 2K kits are about the only semi-sorta safe DIY (or contractor not equipped for tub reglazing) kits, and those you pour the liquid and don't brush or roll it on.

But really, you'd be best just getting a professional to do it who has the proper suit, proper ventilation setup, and knows how to use the epoxy type paints generally used for tub refinishing, and has spray equipment, etc. Generally a tub is in the $500-600 or so range to refinish, so a baptismal being bigger probably would be in the $1000-2000 or so range, but it would be done correctly and safely. The combination of the tub paints, and what people use to strip the tubs (sometimes methylene chloride) can actually outright kill you so it's really something better to sub out than DIY or handyman.

·
Administrator
21,511 Posts
PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

If you're not a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php.

This thread is now closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.