Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a chance to test drive both the new reformulated Emerald Urethane satin and semi gloss. WAY better! They upped the sheen, making them a true satin and semi.

They also addressed my biggest complaint which was how it feels. I was actually surprised they both feel nice and smooth. I wouldn't use the older formula just for that reason, especially the satin it felt like builder grade flat.

SW also claims they improved its blocking abilities haven't test that yet but so far they've made good on what they said they were going to fix so I'm willing to bet they improved that as well.

Anyone else have a chance to try it yet?

·
Super Moderator
9,507 Posts
That product is one reason I avoid SW like the plague. I have zero trust with that company after they recommend that product in satin to me for trim and kept recommending it to customers if they happened to stop in there as they got ready for a project. I am glad they improved it, but it never should have been released in its original format and they never should have acted like it was fine.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I usually avoid Sherwin-Williams and stick with my local shops, but I will say I didn't mind that emerald urethane , once I learned to stay away from the satin. Seems like a good product when you need to brush and roll interior trim/ doors, lays down like Advance without the 16-hour re-coat time. And since its interior/exterior, I just was able to finish a front door inside and out with the same bucket.

·
Super Moderator
7,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whopdie do!! Garbage product from the get-go. Recoat times are so long. There are so many better products on the market. Not worth the money even with improvements.
I think a four hour recoat time is pretty standard.

·
Registered
Interior/Exterior Painting. Wall Paper. Residential/Commercial
18 Posts
Just used it today on cabinets. Customer had a gallon already, semi gloss. Will see if it stays semi gloss or if it turns to an eggshell like the old formula

·
Registered
240 Posts
I quit using the satin and semigloss a while back. Felt like cheap wall paint. Haven’t tried the new formula yet, but would like to. Right now my local S-W doesn’t have much of anything in stock. They have a sign on the counter stating they have no flat or semigloss in stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts