Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started really pushing flat paints to homeowners. I think its a much better, truer finish, and as you all know has a much better touch-up-ability. I have never used ben or regal in flat finish. I am about to do a wide open 2 story home, and was wondering if there is a huge difference in the performance of these paints with reference to the flat finish?
Thanks guys.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Disclaimer before I start- I'm not really a big fan of flat wall finishes in anything other than cheap NC that's gonna get a swift repaint (indoors, that is, which is what I'm assuming you're talking about here). They mar really easily, especially in lower quality finishes.

I definitely wouldn't recommend US for flat walls for residential repaints for HO's. I'd be surprised if you didn't have a fair amount of trouble around light switches, where furniture touches walls, anywhere there's traffic. I'd be pretty iffy about recommending Ben for it as well. Regal Select is fairly scrubable in all sheens, so that would probably be your best bet if you're really set on pushing flats on people.

Have you considered doing Regal with Matte instead? It's got a few things going for it- it's a very popular sheen right now (makes dark colors look very deep and emphasizes them) and it's a good bit more durable without showing imperfections too badly like higher sheens will.

That's what I'd tell you if you came in the store. Chances are, I'd try to convince you to go with eggshell for the better durability, though. Unless your drywallers are crappy you shouldn't have to rely on flat that much to hide flaws imho.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen all kinds of people have expectations of what "scrub able" means? There is typically some sort of sheen change where they do scrub, and then when they try to touch up its noticeable. My solution is flats, you wipe then touch up and no apparent sheen change. These are older people who won't be having too much stuff near walls, etc.
As for most flats, from what I know, they are not the flats of yesteryear, the dead flats, but have more of a sheen added to them, somewhere in the 5-10%.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ultraspec flat and regal matte are the most of paint i use for my customers even though i slowly move to SW recently. if the customers want to sell their house, i go with ultraspec. for customers that just move to their new home, i recommend regal matte because it is easy to wash and clean. i use flat or matte only except eggshell for washroom to prevent moisture and it becomes standard sheen finish for builder here in Canada. in terms of coverage, they are all the same to me

·
Registered
293 Posts
I used Ultra Spec for a long time until my store brought in Ben, With Ultra spec I had problems touching up and fleshing even after two rolled top coats there would be obvious touch up marks and differences in color. Ben has been a much better product for touching up and I have been able to use a magic eraser to remove most scuffs.

I will use spec in a sheen pearl and above but I honestly dislike the eggshell and flat I and happy my store brought in Ben to close the gap between the cheap paint and the really expensive Moore paint line.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used Ultra Spec for a long time until my store brought in Ben, With Ultra spec I had problems touching up and fleshing even after two rolled top coats there would be obvious touch up marks and differences in color. Ben has been a much better product for touching up and I have been able to use a magic eraser to remove most scuffs.

I will use spec in a sheen pearl and above but I honestly dislike the eggshell and flat I and happy my store brought in Ben to close the gap between the cheap paint and the really expensive Moore paint line.

Thanks Kritter. I'm going to use Regal flat on the job I'm on now, and I think I'm going to start using Ben a bit more to give it a try as well. I've always liked Regal in semi gloss and matte, but I just haven't used their flat yet. I'm also going to be using regal matte in kitchen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Kritter. I'm going to use Regal flat on the job I'm on now, and I think I'm going to start using Ben a bit more to give it a try as well. I've always liked Regal in semi gloss and matte, but I just haven't used their flat yet. I'm also going to be using regal matte in kitchen.
why would you use Regal flat? It's not washable might aswell use the cheapest flat on the market it does the same thing. Regal ultimat on the other hand is the real deal interms of washing flashing and touchups

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,695 Posts
why would you use Regal flat? It's not washable might aswell use the cheapest flat on the market it does the same thing. Regal ultimat on the other hand is the real deal interms of washing flashing and touchups
Please check the date the thread was started, (nearly 7 years ago). The OP hasn't been around here for several years as far as I know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts