Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't really done much residential painting, but a homeowner called the other day and he wants to remove popcorn from his ceiling. I haven't been out to his house yet but I am the type that aways expect the worst so I want to know is there a good simple way to remove popcorn texture that has been painted?

I want to know what I am up against so I can be sure to give a competitive price.

Thanks for your help.

·
Estimator/Instructor
1,004 Posts
I haven't really done much residential painting, but a homeowner called the other day and he wants to remove popcorn from his ceiling. I haven't been out to his house yet but I am the type that aways expect the worst so I want to know is there a good simple way to remove popcorn texture that has been painted?

I want to know what I am up against so I can be sure to give a competitive price.

Thanks for your help.
First thing you need to do is find out how old the home is because the texture may or may not contain asbestos!

That's your first step...

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
If its not been painted, you can clear the room, cover up everything and use a pump up sprayer and wet the popcorn. Take a 9" drywall blade or something equivelant and get to scraping. It will fall off like butter.

Nasty, get everywhere, and on everything- butter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had some come off like butter, literally melt off the ceiling with tap water and a pump sprayer from the home and garden dept at HD.

On this most recent project it had been painted (perhaps a couple of times). Water did nothing to it. We dry scraped and then kilz'ed it, shot our new texture right over that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Once painted, it is 'glued' to the ceiling and often requires mechanical removal. In my own home, I have my drywaller put new 3/8" board over the texture and finish it smooth. You could probably texture over it, but it depends what you want the finish product to look like. I've seen some do a hand-troweled finish over shallow popcorn, but it still has the 'snad' finish.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I can see I'm pretty late to the party, but I thought I'd throw in my 0.02 worth. We just did a job where the texture had been painted at least once, maybe more. We found that if you had one guy go over the ceiling with an 8" knife knocking off the points and then spraying the scraped area with water, another guy could go behind him and scrape the texture off. The key is to knock the points off and thus perforate the paint film. This allows the water to get behind the painted texture and loosen it. We did find that you often had to wet an area a few times to really loosen it up, but overall this approach worked really well. the customer wanted a slick ceiling so this was our best option. We were able to strip a 600sf ceiling in a day (three guys), which is obviously longer than if the texture had not been painted but I had bid the job well, and we made out ok.

·
Estimator/Instructor
1,004 Posts
I can see I'm pretty late to the party, but I thought I'd throw in my 0.02 worth. We just did a job where the texture had been painted at least once, maybe more. We found that if you had one guy go over the ceiling with an 8" knife knocking off the points and then spraying the scraped area with water, another guy could go behind him and scrape the texture off. The key is to knock the points off and thus perforate the paint film. This allows the water to get behind the painted texture and loosen it. We did find that you often had to wet an area a few times to really loosen it up, but overall this approach worked really well. the customer wanted a slick ceiling so this was our best option. We were able to strip a 600sf ceiling in a day (three guys), which is obviously longer than if the texture had not been painted but I had bid the job well, and we made out ok.
Did you check for asbestos?

·
Registered
110 Posts
If the walls are orange peel textured, tex-spraying the ceilings after scraping will hide some imperfections. Most drywallers do a good job of taping before the the acoustic is sprayed on, but some don't because they know the acoustic will hide their taping job. Sometimes you have to skim coat the entire ceiling, which is a chore.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Since you're wetting it and keeping it wet and there is no dust I wouldn't lose too much sleep over asbestos. I think most people that got in trouble with asbestos worked in an environment where there was a lot of it in the air from sanding and grinding. Not from scrapping a couple hundred feet of ceiling. A good indicator of this is no lawyers on TV saying if you scrapped your ceiling call us.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The ceilings on this particular job had been painted with flat paint but it didn't seal the texture like a semi-gloss or eggshell. The texture came down fairly easy now however, I would just use a spray pump to avoid the pump action. There was a lot of work on those ceilings and I found it easier to prime the ceiling afterwards to see all of the imperfections which made it easier to fix the bad areas.

Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The ceilings on this particular job had been painted with flat paint but it didn't seal the texture like a semi-gloss or eggshell. The texture came down fairly easy now however, I would just use a spray pump to avoid the pump action. There was a lot of work on those ceilings and I found it easier to prime the ceiling afterwards to see all of the imperfections which made it easier to fix the bad areas.

Thanks for everyone's help.
I like the popcorn ceilings painted with semi-gloss. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts