Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Depends on the concrete.

Is it stamped, broomed, smooth troweled? etc.

We usually do either a chemical strip or a wet sand blast to remove sealer. Both are a pain.

You can grind the floor if it's smooth, for say a garage floor, that's the best way for it to come off and it profiles the concrete for application of new product.

·
Registered
82 Posts
concrete stain removal

I would suggest using a physical grind if possible. Chemical strippers are usually dependent on mill thickness to be effective. Plus, stains are chemically different from paint and ph levels can be affected by strippers.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Thanks woodcoyote it is stamped colored concrete with waterbased sealer. Looks like i need to get some specific stripper and use rotary scrubber with a pressure wash?

Good in theory. You don't want to power wash after a strip. Learned that the hard way. The sealer is only pliable, lifted off, then re-hardens onto the new surface. Think of shredding bubble gum and throwing it everywhere, sticks to everything it touches.

A high quality stripper, like extreme or super strip, solvent based...followed by covering it (if necessary), agitate with a brush, and clean with solvent. It's a lot of manual labor and most people will run from that type of situation.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had to strip a brick patio, about 10 years back, that had been sealed with a product that, if the other painter had read the label, he'd have learned it was specifically NOT to be used on brick. He told me he HAD read the label but the HO (our company's owner!) insisted he use it. Sure... Anyway, it effloresced big time. We used umpteen gallons of Strypeeze or some nasty stuff, and power-washed the heck out of it with no headway. Finally came across this:
http://www.sunnysidecorp.com/product.php?p=r&b=b&n=656G5

Worked like a charm! User friendly too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.