Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've got a small deck (about 300 sqft) that the homeowners previously coated with Rust-Oleum's "Restore" deck coating. They want it removed and stained with a translucent.

Any thoughts on the best way to remove it? I can't find a TDS to figure out what the chemical make-up is, but I think it's a one-part epoxy. My first thought was Back to Nature Multi-Strip, but I'm not sure it will cut it.

Heat gun and a floor scraper? Floor sander? Angle grinder? Other thoughts?

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
I can not believe any one would put a product out like this, I understand the concept but damn test if fully before releasing it to the market, test all aspects, application and removal to see if it is cost effective for the contractors to even offer. I hope we don't run into one with these products that fail, I will instantly say rebuild it and bill the MFG.

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
I can not believe any one would put a product out like this, I understand the concept but damn test if fully before releasing it to the market, test all aspects, application and removal to see if it is cost effective for the contractors to even offer. I hope we don't run into one with these products that fail, I will instantly say rebuild it and bill the MFG.
So wait, if the product doesn't last, you all complain, if it doesn't come off, you complain.....you want a product that lasts forever and is easily removed? Cmon now....seriously.

I agree with NACE, flip the boards over if possible.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
For the price I expect a so called great product to last for more than a year. If it doesn't last and is a b1tch to remove wouldn't you complain? What about the HO that paid for this to be put on and now hs to pay a whole lot more to remove it? Flipping the boards and having the end grains facing the wrong way will also cause cupping issues. Why not just use what we all know and trust that works like it should and lasts like it should?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why do they want it removed? Is it failing in some way, or some other reason?
It's failing in a few areas, but mostly it's just ugly. Flipping the boards may indeed work, but yeah, I'm worried about cupping. I'll look, though, maybe they were installed the wrong way in the first place. There's always hope, right? ;)

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
So wait, if the product doesn't last, you all complain, if it doesn't come off, you complain.....you want a product that lasts forever and is easily removed? Cmon now....seriously.

Only a fool would buy into anything that "lasts forever" outside.. especially a deck coating. I want a product that is easy to maintain and will come off when it needs to. These coatings are nothing new. They resurface every few years with a different label and marketing hype. In the end, the consumer gets taken for a ride. I'm sure many of you guys know about/remember the ceramic exterior paint craze.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

Good point. Is this similar to the "strippable" wallpaper concept?
BTW, I know next to nothing about wallpaper, just asking.

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
Good point. Is this similar to the "strippable" wallpaper concept?
BTW, I know next to nothing about wallpaper, just asking.
No idea. What works best for me is to provide information and be honest. When the customer understands what products are truly capable of, their expectations follow. If these heavy coatings work as a stop gap then great. If applying them saves the cost of replacement for a few years, then they did their job. As long as the customer understands this, that's fine.

BTW, I have no pony in this race, I sell none of these "restore" type products. Closest product I have is the Insl-x Sure Step. The nice thing about these heavy coatings is that they're easily fixed in most cases. Not stripped....fixed.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
NCPaint1 said:
No idea. What works best for me is to provide information and be honest. When the customer understands what products are truly capable of, their expectations follow. If these heavy coatings work as a stop gap then great. If applying them saves the cost of replacement for a few years, then they did their job. As long as the customer understands this, that's fine.

BTW, I have no pony in this race, I sell none of these "restore" type products. Closest product I have is the Insl-x Sure Step. The nice thing about these heavy coatings is that they're easily fixed in most cases. Not stripped....fixed.
Do you carry any Super Deck products?
Just curious, my BM does.

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
Do you carry any Super Deck products?
Just curious, my BM does.
Just TWP, and Sikkens SRD at the moment. I had high hopes for the Arborcoat Translucent, it looks good but application was discouraging to say the least. If it holds up well I'll figure out a good way to apply it and start stocking it so I have a WB option.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just TWP, and Sikkens SRD at the moment. I had high hopes for the Arborcoat Translucent, it looks good but application was discouraging to say the least. If it holds up well I'll figure out a good way to apply it and start stocking it so I have a WB option.
Oh man, "discouraging" is an understatement. I re-stained a cedar shake house with the stuff. It's like brushing on water. The UV resistance far outclasses SRD, though.

To get back to the topic at hand, though, am I right to assume this product is epoxy-based, or is it an elastomeric?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I think its an acrylic paint, and I don't think I would even attempt to strip it especially if its pressure treated 5/4. Price it out and offer to replace the decking boards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
After you get done flipping those deck boards over, let me know how digging those screw heads out from under 20 mils of Restore worked for you.

By the way, where does Restore claim it lasts forever?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts