Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
DeanV said:
It says it has a limited lifetime warranty
Yea, in doing a comparison of these type products recently, that was the only warranty I saw for the Rustolem stuff.

One of the other ones had a 15 yr limited warranty I think.

The Rustolem applies literally twice as thick as thick as the competitors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I painted a 20'x12' deck with Paint restore last summer, was please with the results until this spring!! After the snow melted I saw a huge mess of crumbly paint...but only the northern section was crumbled the Southern side was fine!! I took photos and emailed the company, the reimbursed me for the paint, but it was been hell to clean up. Almost have it off, I have found that if you let it get hot from the sun it will come off in sheets using a paint scraper.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I put the Restore on my staging planks for better traction.Like above mentioned it too crumbled.I think it has too much grit in it.I did use the Behr Deck Over per customer request a month ago.I was kinda impressed but am waiting on how long it lasts.It's much thinner and less grit than the Restore.Sorry i have no help for you other than to charge real high.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My own post, back from the dead! I stripped it with methylene chloride, then sanded the heck out of it. It was a real PITA, and I didn't really make any money on it, but it didn't ruin my summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only way to get rid of Restore

I have had so many issues getting my old peeling Restore off of various decks. The only remedy I found was pouring boiling water on the paint, it peels right up! Here's a good YouTube video to watch that explains how to peel it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUf-dr1cAPM&sns=em

·
Registered
37 Posts
I found scrapping when it's super hot out works well too. Crap turns to soft rubber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Deck restorations
49 Posts
Turn the boards over? Not a bad idea for 300 feet.
I just flipped some deck boards. Trust me not as easy as one might think. very labor intensive. I believe in the long run replacing the boards with new and fresh is quicker and cheaper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So wait, if the product doesn't last, you all complain, if it doesn't come off, you complain.....you want a product that lasts forever and is easily removed? Cmon now....seriously.

I agree with NACE, flip the boards over if possible.
Rustoleum states that this product releases with 185° heated water. Simply rent a heated pressure washer from sunbelt and have them load it into a pickup. Leave in pickup during wash. Use low pressure, 300psi. It falls right off. Just watch the videos of people using boiling water on this stuff, it falls off the wood. Btw, sodium hydroxide treatments releases it from wood followed by reg pressure washing at 2k psi. It is water based acrylic. Not brain surgery. Always use SSE (STAIN AND SEAL EXPERTS) OIL BASED STAUN. self leveling, no drips, no brush marks and last years with no flaking ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, this is easy. The release temperature of rustoleum deck restorer is 185°. Rent a heated pressure washer from sunbelt. Have them load it in pickup and leave in bed until returning machine. Make sure you have long enough high heat pressure hose and gun. Low pressure wash it slowly and it falls right off the wood. Low pressure is essential as to not damage wood. Let dry 3 days and sand with hand random orbital where needed. Blow off and stain. Sunbelt unloads the 380lb machine. $170 rental per day.

I've got a small deck (about 300 sqft) that the homeowners previously coated with Rust-Oleum's "Restore" deck coating. They want it removed and stained with a translucent.

Any thoughts on the best way to remove it? I can't find a TDS to figure out what the chemical make-up is, but I think it's a one-part epoxy. My first thought was Back to Nature Multi-Strip, but I'm not sure it will cut it.

Heat gun and a floor scraper? Floor sander? Angle grinder? Other thoughts?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts