Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updating this finish and need to remove this beveled glass that has been resting nicely since the late 80's.
The bumpers have deteriorated and have become gummy imo..
Currently stumped..wondered if anyone has experienced this..

Table is around 42"x42" with 8 bumpers as the rests.

Thanks
Wood Floor Flooring Gas Brickwork
Wood Road surface Water Flooring Floor

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
No direct experience, so just spit balling.

Maybe tip it on its side, squirt a few drops of something like goo gone on the lower bumpers. Let it soak a bit w the help of gravity. Then work it with a razor, sharp putty knife, or 5 in one. Roll it to the next side and do the same - x4 sides. Get those old gummy bumpers loosened up. If you don't have a helper, have it tipped up close to a wall or something so that if it ever does decide to just pop it can't just fall right out and splat on the floor.

Short story? I'd probably just go low and and slow. Patience, a little solvent and and little coaxing.

·
Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,244 Posts
“Should” be tempered glass which is pretty tough stuff. If not, and it does break, it is relatively cheap to replace, bevel and all. Other than that, Joe has a solid plan, except that I would also secure the glass in place by wrapping the top of the table with a few go arounds with some of that plastic packing tape stuff before turning it on it’s side.

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,785 Posts
If it does break it can do so in an explosive way! I had a "tempered glass" table top "break" once and swore off ever owning glass furniture again. Tempered glass may be less inclined to breakage but it does shatter and when it does...
If it were my problem I'd get some help and turn the table over, glass to floor. place some spacers under the metal edges. Be patient and let gravity do the job. (You need an assistant to help you turn the table over, it's dangerous as a one man job.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts