Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a beginner sprayer and I'm trying to understand my Titan 440 how do I know when I need to repack my sprayer???

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Hi I'm a beginner sprayer and I'm trying to understand my Titan 440 how do I know when I need to repack my sprayer???
If you keep the piston rod lubricated and you flush out your machine properly each time you only need to repack every couple years. You will need to repack when the packing's fail which is typically indicated by the pump not holding pressure or you see fluid leaking out from the top packing nut (where the piston is). If you don't keep the piston rod properly lubricated you might also need to replace the rod along with the packing's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you keep the piston rod lubricated and you flush out your machine properly each time you only need to repack every couple years. You will need to repack when the packing's fail which is typically indicated by the pump not holding pressure or you see fluid leaking out from the top packing nut (where the piston is). If you don't keep the piston rod properly lubricated you might also need to replace the rod along with the packing's.
Thanks Coco you always seem to be on here when I have questions so can you answer this one what is the difference between satin and low luster

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Thanks Coco you always seem to be on here when I have questions so can you answer this one what is the difference between satin and low luster
names of 'sheens' have no consistency even within the same manufacturer sometimes so that depends entirely on what product you are referring to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
names of 'sheens' have no consistency even within the same manufacturer sometimes so that depends entirely on what product you are referring to.
(
(Low sheen,
(Low sheen,high sheen,egg shell,low luster, velvet)....are all these pretty much the same

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
(
(Low sheen,
(Low sheen,high sheen,egg shell,low luster, velvet)....are all these pretty much the same
Nope it depends 100% on which product you are using. The clostest thing to any consistency is the MPI gloss rating and even that's not very detailed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey Ward, as Coco alluded to the sheen names can be a bit confusing to say the least. The lowest sheen, or least shiny, is going to be flat. Then you'll have your low sheens, low lustre, eggshell, satins, semi-gloss, then high gloss. A good beginner's rule of thumb is only use semi-gloss on trim or bathrooms. Nowadays satin is becoming more popular for these uses however. Eggshell is a good happy medium for most interior walls, although some eggshells such as Benjamin Moore Ultra spec, can be quite shiny. For exterior walls satin is generally pretty good. In reality it is a case-by-case basis, but these are some general rules of thumb.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Ward, as Coco alluded to the sheen names can be a bit confusing to say the least. The lowest sheen, or least shiny, is going to be flat. Then you'll have your low sheens, low lustre, eggshell, satins, semi-gloss, then high gloss. A good beginner's rule of thumb is only use semi-gloss on trim or bathrooms. Nowadays satin is becoming more popular for these uses however. Eggshell is a good happy medium for most interior walls, although some eggshells such as Benjamin Moore Ultra spec, can be quite shiny. For exterior walls satin is generally pretty good. In reality it is a case-by-case basis, but these are some general rules of thumb.
So for example what do I tell the paint guy if I want a low Sheen.... Or what is a low sheen??

·
Registered
212 Posts
So for example what do I tell the paint guy if I want a low Sheen.... Or what is a low sheen??
You can tell them exactly that: "I want a low sheen."

What Coco is referring to is that the naming conventions are all over the place. A BM Eggshell might be higher gloss than an SW Semi-Gloss. Even in a single manufacturer, SW may have an Eggshell that is higher gloss that another of it's own Semi-Gloss. Or a Satin that is actually lower sheen than another of it's Flat paint.

The MPI has tried to develop a system that rates the Sheen based on reflectivity, so that you can know how the Gloss/Sheen compares to other similar paints. It's worth knowing the differences and how to look up the actual Gloss level. (I'm not a fan of MPI, but this is one thing they have done correctly.)

MPI Determinations: [LINK]

PaintPRO Article: [LINK]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can tell them exactly that: "I want a low sheen."

What Coco is referring to is that the naming conventions are all over the place. A BM Eggshell might be higher gloss than an SW Semi-Gloss. Even in a single manufacturer, SW may have an Eggshell that is higher gloss that another of it's own Semi-Gloss. Or a Satin that is actually lower sheen than another of it's Flat paint.

The MPI has tried to develop a system that rates the Sheen based on reflectivity, so that you can know how the Gloss/Sheen compares to other similar paints. It's worth knowing the differences and how to look up the actual Gloss level. (I'm not a fan of MPI, but this is one thing they have done correctly.)

MPI Determinations: [LINK]

PaintPRO Ar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts