Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have information regarding the ‘potential paint shortage’?

Is it real? Will it affect exterior painting? Should we be worried, or buying early for upcoming jobs?

Any info appreciated...

·
Super Moderator
6,614 Posts
I certainly think it's real. In terms of being worried, who knows. At this point, I'm not exactly surprised by anything. This last year and a half has certainly taught me to just roll with the punches. When I first heard about the potential shortages, but hadn't heard about the resin plant's problems my first thought was "Ok, now how did Covid do that. This is getting silly."

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Does anyone have information regarding the ‘potential paint shortage’?

Is it real? Will it affect exterior painting? Should we be worried, or buying early for upcoming jobs?

Any info appreciated...
Yes there is a real shortage and manufactures are trying their best to keep up with demand by prioritizing certain paint lines. And not just paint but cans as well, the manufacture might have paint but if they don't have cans to put them into... So far BM has been pretty good, I havn't really been shorted on any orders yet.
For the near future I would put in your orders far enough ahead an probably plan for shortages accordingly by having a backup paint to use just in case.
I know its a hassle but I'm just being pragmatic about the whole situation.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
This thread is recent:

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes there is a real shortage and manufactures are trying their best to keep up with demand by prioritizing certain paint lines. And not just paint but cans as well, the manufacture might have paint but if they don't have cans to put them into... So far BM has been pretty good, I havn't really been shorted on any orders yet.
For the near future I would put in your orders far enough ahead an probably plan for shortages accordingly by having a backup paint to use just in case.
I know its a hassle but I'm just being pragmatic about the whole situation.
Have pre-ordered the first four jobs for the summer, and have alerted the next several customers to potential shortage and urged them to finalize paint colors so we can pre-order.

I don't want to raise alarm bells needlessly in my clients, but it would be worse if, come June or July, we are not able to get paint and are sitting around picking our nose. Wondering if there is going to be a lull, when it might be, and how bad it might get. Is it over-hyped? You know what I mean?

The Manager at SW said he sold 150 gallons of white base woodscapes to a large contractor, who is just going to sit on them. I cant tell if he's trying to get me to panic-buy more paint, or if he thinks they might run out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The big freeze in Texas damaged some of the Industrial plants, I have noticed a little shortage here in the Sacramento SWs.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moderators: feel free to delete this thread if you would prefer the other thread to be used instead.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Have pre-ordered the first four jobs for the summer, and have alerted the next several customers to potential shortage and urged them to finalize paint colors so we can pre-order.

I don't want to raise alarm bells needlessly in my clients, but it would be worse if, come June or July, we are not able to get paint and are sitting around picking our nose. Wondering if there is going to be a lull, when it might be, and how bad it might get. Is it over-hyped? You know what I mean?

The Manager at SW said he sold 150 gallons of white base woodscapes to a large contractor, who is just going to sit on them. I cant tell if he's trying to get me to panic-buy more paint, or if he thinks they might run out.

I read the Sherwin Williams subreddit and they've been talking about potential shortages about a month before the topic came up here. Take it for whatever.

Also someone there showed this wonderful article from an actual paint industry magazine.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I read the Sherwin Williams subreddit and they've been talking about potential shortages about a month before the topic came up here. Take it for whatever.

Also someone there showed this wonderful article from an actual paint industry magazine.
I love that subreddit, whenever I'm feeling down its just confirmation that I will always be in buisness. This is SW personified:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sherwinwilliams/comments/j692ch

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Would you mind elaborating? What is a "Draw Down", and how will that play out?

(Can only assume this will adversely affect @Thatguy93 and his love for Flat.)
Not sure what that guy is talking about. But..a drawdown is a sample of paint on a glossy card. You would use a drawdown bar that has a particular mil thickness. You start with a small amount of paint on the top of the card, pull the bar down the card, pulling the paint along with it. Once dry you can see the sheen level of the product and do any tests necessary. When I was in stores, drawdowns were mostly for color submittals to architects or project managers.
What this guys is talking about?? not sure. As a manufacturer would not need a drawdown of the product just because they are out of raw materials. They have a recipe, just like a baker would, and they already have samples to test against for new batches.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Would you mind elaborating? What is a "Draw Down", and how will that play out?

(Can only assume this will adversely affect @Thatguy93 and his love for Flat.)
I am assuming what he means is that Suppliers in his local area are not willing to waste a gallon of Eggshell/Semigloss/etc. to create drawdowns for a project. They are going to create the Draw downs with flat paint regardless of the sheen requested.

When we do commercial work, we have to send 4-6 drawdowns of the chosen color selected in the materials specified so that:

1) The Architect can approve the color/sheen for the project.
2) The Architect/GC/Subcontractor all have a sample to verify the color being used is correct/approved.

Yes it's kind of dumb because the Architect is the one that picked the colors and materials, but there is value because, not everyone uses the specified materials, and they want to make sure the actual materials look right. See the attached Example if you are not sure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am assuming what he means is that Suppliers in his local area are not willing to waste a gallon of Eggshell/Semigloss/etc. to create drawdowns for a project. They are going to create the Draw downs with flat paint regardless of the sheen requested.

When we do commercial work, we have to send 4-6 drawdowns of the chosen color selected in the materials specified so that:

1) The Architect can approve the color/sheen for the project.
2) The Architect/GC/Subcontractor all have a sample to verify the color being used is correct/approved.

Yes it's kind of dumb because the Architect is the one that picked the colors and materials, but there is value because, not everyone uses the specified materials, and they want to make sure the actual materials look right. See the attached Example if you are not sure.
Thank you @kentdalimp. Great answer.

Local SW said they were out of most primers right now (except multi purpose).

·
Registered
111 Posts
The resin shortage is very real. I assume SW is putting their raw materials into their better lines. the ProMars and the Optimus, Masterhide are not in stock in the South Florida markets according to their contractors who seek a lower cost product.

Cheer up, history always repeats itself! In 1991 & 2 there was the "great titanium shortage", causing many a small manufacturers out of the market. The South American titanium was off spec causing endless liability to so many companies.

The bad news is the average selling price of a gallon of paint was a little under $9 a gallon, by 1995 the average price was @ $11. Create a shortage, increase your price. Material shortages are hitting the brush and roller manufacturers even harder. Suggest you stock up on your preferred tools, don't miss the blue bucket specials.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What's the issue with the drawdowns? I mean, I've never had an architect refuse/change the paint based on a drawdown. I'll just use that gallon on the job once it starts.
For us, Lots of the work we bid won't start for 6 months to a year. Submittals take place almost immediately after we are awarded. So The Paint Stores create the drawdowns and then repurpose the materials. They don't charge us for the drawdowns and we don't buy the gallon of paint. We don't want to sit on a single gallon for a year.

And yes, we have probably 1 in 10 architects reject off of drawdowns. They usually change colors, but sometimes it's another issue. We had an experience a few years ago where the architect kept saying the drawdown was wrong compared to the color specified. We demanded the architect provide the sample they where checking against. Turns out they were using a magazine advertisement of a specific color which looked different than the color chip of the color. The store matched the Ad and the architect was happy. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
For us, Lots of the work we bid won't start for 6 months to a year. Submittals take place almost immediately after we are awarded. So The Paint Stores create the drawdowns and then repurpose the materials. They don't charge us for the drawdowns and we don't buy the gallon of paint. We don't want to sit on a single gallon for a year.

And yes, we have probably 1 in 10 architects reject off of drawdowns. They usually change colors, but sometimes it's another issue. We had an experience a few years ago where the architect kept saying the drawdown was wrong compared to the color specified. We demanded the architect provide the sample they where checking against. Turns out they were using a magazine advertisement of a specific color which looked different than the color chip of the color. The store matched the Ad and the architect was happy. 🤦‍♂️
Why would they use up a whole gallon for a draw down that takes less than 10mL? I would be out of buisness if I didn't bill out gallons of paint for a drawdown, I did 10 different colors this morning.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts