Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Review of Armed Work Wear

15K views 44 replies 24 participants last post by  Nardin 
#1 ·
#8 ·
I hadn't heard about the upgraded knee pads, which sounds like a good improvement. I wore out the regular ones on the first day and started using those from another mfg.

The tool pocket placement works well for me and I generally really like these. Besides the original knee pads, I do have two other gripes. One, the back pockets are divided to hold a tool and a wallet, but that needs to be a really small wallet. The first thing I did was to rip out that stitching. Secondly, the fit doesn't work for me unless I wear suspenders. I have snake hips but ladder thighs, so that causes problems. If I don't wear suspenders, I leave everyone else on the job site wondering what a plumber is doing wearing whites.

#18 ·
Amazon.com: Supersoft Kneepads: Home Improvement
I've used these kneepads and they are very comfortable, can wear them all day no problems.

I doubt the foam padding in the pants gives as much cushion. I want as much cushion as possible if I'm in situations where I need knee pads.

To me the selling point of these pants would not be for knee protection. It would be if they are roomy and comfortable, and that they provide great real estate for general tools used daily.

#20 ·
I talked about the pants in the article I linked. After 6 months no holes, will know more after summer winds down and I begin wearing them again.

Dickies would be done in less than three.

I hate wearing knee pads because they hurt the back of my legs. These I don't even notice they are there till I bend down.

#21 ·
I hate wearing knee pads because they hurt the back of my legs. These I don't even notice they are there till I bend down.
Same here. Never wore knee pads much for the exact same reason. Thats one of the reasons I like the Armed pants, but thats only half the reason. I like the cut on me, heavier duty material and I love the pockets.

Need to also get more when the weather cools, as my fat but out-grew the ones I have. :censored:

#22 ·
I have had them for a while. I am on my 2nd pair and can't bring myself to throw away the first pair. I have dickies too. Armed is made better and fit more comfortable. I just really miss my deep double side pocket were i kept a pud knife
, box cutter, and i swap out the pud for a set of channel locks when i am spraying.
With armed I can't get use to the short pockets. But I will buy another pair when needed for baseboard days and keep trying to get use to the short pockets.

#23 ·
well-

I have always gone for the Dickies although once I had some stan rays. Dickies are terrible and uncomfortable and I would prefer other colors. I buy them because they are at the paint stores.

but now RCP-is bringing my attention back to these Armored ones and I am gonna have to order some soon.

also the idea of knee pads inside a pocket is certainly going to be better than ANY knee pad with straps.

Thanks-

#26 ·
Jack

Sizing with Armed Workwear is pretty consistent with how you might order Carhartt. They are good.

Definite differences between them and the Blaklader, as one might expect. The pads are different for sure. As well as the pockets.

On the left is the BL pad. Right is that standard AW. Center is upgraded AW. In some ways the differences are a matter of preference, styling and fit.

Attachments

#27 ·
Thanks. Would u say either of the AW pads form better or is one more dense than the other? I saw a review on the heavy duty BL pads, said they were like blocks on your knees and suggested buying the $9.99 pads. Never been big on pads but may order them with the AW pants this time. Are the pads heavy? I mean, does it feel like u have weights on your knees?

#30 · (Edited)
Scott, The photo in the mag shows pic kneeling down. They look very slim, tight or fitted? Any comment on that? I'm not into baggy but I like relaxed fit for work. The BL are more relaxed than Dickies for sure. It's nice bending and squatting in them. That and durability are probably most important to me.

Also, the review covered common paint tools one might want to carry. Do u personally carry regular tools on u? I do not so the BL pocket fest is a bit much for me. Up until these BL pants, never had anything on me but now carrying a 5-in-1 again. The only gripe about the 5-in-1 pocket is that it seems like u need to assist it into the pocket. Maybe because they are stiff and new, not sure but it would be great to slide it right in one-handed.

#33 ·
Scott, The photo in the mag shows pic kneeling down. They look very slim, tight or fitted? Any comment on that? I'm not into baggy but I like relaxed fit for work. The BL are more relaxed than Dickies for sure. It's nice bending and squatting in them. That and durability are probably most important to me.

Also, the review covered common paint tools one might want to carry. Do u personally carry regular tools on u? I do not so the BL pocket fest is a bit much for me. Up until these BL pants, never had anything on me but now carrying a 5-in-1 again. The only gripe about the 5-in-1 pocket is that it seems like u need to assist it into the pocket. Maybe because they are still and new, not sure but it would be great to slide it right in one-handed.
Aw is a loose fit. Very similar in fit to Carhartt. I dont consider them a tight fit at all. For a frame of reference, I have never liked the fit of Dickies.

Generally, when I am painting, I prefer to be prepping for my painters. When prepping, I am likely to have a rag, putty knife, 5, dust brush, always a sharpie and a pencil, and I never leave home without my razor blade. Thats pretty much it.

I felt the same initially about the flip out BL pockets. I was planning to keep those internal. Until last week when we were reinstalling gutters on a place we just finished. Those freakin pockets...I could keep the pan heads in one, the Phillips in another (just in the divided set) and then on the other side about 40 brackets and clips. That was pretty cool. But that happens about once every three years. The flip outs to me are for fasteners, maybe window locks and screws, etc. I also found the 5 pocket on the BL to be about 3/16" to narrow. I've been carrying a brand new Hyde 14-1 lately which Wolfgang could hurt someone with, not pleasant on the in and out. The pocket makes me want to flip it and carry it blade up, which I no longer do. The security pockets are nice when pressure washing, but generally kind of baggy on the left outer thigh.

Anyways...I do like them. Bottom line, no more conventional kneepads. Inserts are the way to go.

#39 ·
I bought some AW after reading about them here.

The first day I popped in the knee pads to see what they were like. It was exterior work and hot outside. I forgot I had them in until I went to set up my sprayer a couple hours in the day. And I LOVE having them in just for the occasional kneeling on concrete or gravel.

My favorites about them:
Keeping my phone on my thigh where I can answer it in time, even in weird positions.
Keeping my 5-in-1 in a place where there's no car seat damage potential.
The knee pads.
The fit - loose enough to dig into my pockets, tight enough to be safe and comfy.
The material - dickies are hard and scratchy. These are soft.
The look - I feel like a show-off in the paint store. Hey man, you got a sharpie in you front-thigh pocket? Didn't think so, sucka!

My one complaint - the back right pocket. I'm sure it's useful the way it's divided up - I've used it for a dust brush once. But I usually keep my wallet on that side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.