Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
LOL. I remember the arguments here about "real painters only rolled out of a 5 with a grid". Doing insurance restoration we could easily go to 4-5 different job sites in a day with a couple colors at each site. Most the time it was a wall or two, a door, some trim. We always used trays. Brushes and roller covers were washed at the end of the day.
On large commercial jobs rolling out of 5's was the most practical way of working.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I do a lot of interior repaints and can always tell when it was previously rolled from a 5. Not saying you guys leave behind all those boogers, but most around here certainly do!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
For rolling out of a 5'er the dolly with a piece of plywood attached to the top would work
Need a 4" x 10" (approx.) cutout in the center. This allows you to put a portion of the bottom of the bucket in the cutout, and you can tilt your bucket. Keep mouth of bucket pointed towards you, that way you don't have to get over the bucket when loading your roller, more like loading up from the pan, with all the advantages of the bucket.

The one thing I always hated about working out of a 5 was having to be right over the bucket when loading. Made things slow down a bit...but the above rig negates the "bucket hover".

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I do a lot of interior repaints and can always tell when it was previously rolled from a 5. Not saying you guys leave behind all those boogers, but most around here certainly do!
I started painting in 86 and have never worked out of a tray. You have to watch out for crap that's true and change buckets every now and again, but you have to do that with any type of roller set up.

·
Administrator
19,788 Posts
I used to use a 4 wheeled dolly to roll around my 9 and 14 inch pans:

View attachment 105401
View attachment 105403

I got tired of pushing these around with my foot or leaning over to manually push them around, so now I use this when possible:

View attachment 105405

Still not perfect, but the best I have easily found for using in open spaces. It also comes in handy when transporting equipment up and down in elevators.

futtyos
I like the taping job on the floor in the middle pic. That is how my jobs would look. I see some guy’s shots of their floor taping and think, “Hell, my taping jobs on cabinets don’t look half that good!” :vs_whistle:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts