Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
21,728 Posts
I stick to 9" covers. At 58 I have to think about my shoulder joints. Had one rotator cuff procedure - don't need another.

·
Administrator
21,728 Posts
Me too and like Tim, I am in no hurry.
JP is probably spinnin' if he's reading this - and he ain't even dead yet. ;)

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
I use a 9'' or 18'' as appropriate for the job. But being that most of my work is occupied residential, with multiple color changes, I am usually using a 9''.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Anyone use rollers 14inch, 18 inch for residential repaints>?
I find most of our re-paint's are only 1 to 2 gallons a room and almost never see the same colour used in another room, so we are using (and tossing) many sleeves in the same day. The only constant is ceiling colour that I could justify a 14-18" in our target market.

I have all the gear for 18", not the applications that call for it....just like the 3 sprayers I own!

Save some money (don't listen to VP or JP) because... I never owned a sprayer or 18" roller before I got on Painttalk!

Titan.... Check
Big Ben...Check
Proshot...Check
Eractarack (2 sets)...Check (actually helped me use my sprayer more)
Case of Picaso's.....coming soon

next up...... yep you guessed it.....

FESTOOL! - just waiting to close off February and hope like mad there is a nice combo special!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I'm not a crybaby, so don't make excuses for not using an 18" & use it as much as possible as the weight difference isn't really physically noticeable. However if it's 1 color per room or small rooms I'll use a 9 and save the $10. 18s are great for major sqft. Useless for 12x12 rooms.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It is a conspiracy created by the manufacturers.... VP and JP are not really painters, they are world class sales professionals trained by elite special forces....and they have now recruited RCP, Work, PandH, Heidi, and I am afraid...Straightlines too.

·
Logistics
3,090 Posts
I'm not a crybaby, so don't make excuses for not using an 18" & use it as much as possible as the weight difference isn't really physically noticeable. However if it's 1 color per room or small rooms I'll use a 9 and save the $10. 18s are great for major sqft. Useless for 12x12 rooms.
I'd agree if you have 6 12x12 rooms 6 different colors then you may want to run a 9. I did that 2 weeks ago and I kick myself for it because it launched my schedule 4 hours behind into the next day. I have 6 18" rigs too but I fell for my own 'never compromise' scenario and I paid for it. A kitchen or small bath is not a place for an 18. A large master bedroom, closets, sectional bath is imo, or a 14". This is why I cut my own 11" covers too and fit them on to a 9 with an end cap plugging the open end.

I really look at the situation and make the call when I get there but its rare to ever see me moving a 9. Those can be real production killers.

·
17,849 Posts
It is a conspiracy created by the manufacturers.... VP and JP are not really painters, they are world class sales professionals trained by elite special forces....and they have now recruited RCP, Work, PandH, Heidi, and I am afraid...Straightlines too.
I am just like you Jeff, a commoner. PT did this to me too.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Crap, the cover is blown, must switch identities again!:whistling2:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts