Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roof Cleaning Is A Growing Segment

For anyone that pursues pressure washing actively, the hottest growth market is roof cleaning. I've read a bunch of misnomers and have seen some companies that really don't know what their doing try to tackle this task. There are a bunch of methods and of course a friendly war on what method is best. This prompted me to write an article of the A to Z's on how to perform roof cleaning properly. Hope you enjoy!

How To Clean A Roof

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the article. We do quite a bit!
I have spent allot of time researching and following the roof cleaning forums. A good pump,system & ground man can be your best friends!
You are right about that Aaron. How is the roof cleaning market down there? I know its competitive.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good article/blog! I never knew that you just left the bleach on and did not wash! I like the way you listed all the stuff needed for a diy'r!:thumbsup:
Chris, I don't mind telling people how its done. Some may think I am giving away the farm and hurting myself in the long run but reality lies in that the process is not one of the best DIY projects to pursue. There is a ton of risk and no liability insurance to back the homeowner for his/her own mistakes.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Chris, I don't mind telling people how its done. Some may think I am giving away the farm and hurting myself in the long run but reality lies in that the process is not one of the best DIY projects to pursue. There is a ton of risk and no liability insurance to back the homeowner for his/her own mistakes.
Agree, as a homeowner, I read that and say "no way am i doing that myself, or letting hubby do it". I think it is brilliant you to clarify that for the HO.

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts
Agree, as a homeowner, I read that and say "no way am i doing that myself, or letting hubby do it". I think it is brilliant you to clarify that for the HO.

I would guess that 90% of HO's have no idea that their roofs can be washed. Most probably think it is the wear of their shingles and probably figure they are one year closer to a replacement.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has really taken off the last year or so around here. There are a ton of roof cleaning companies around me that offer it. There are some nice multi-unit jobs that include the house and roof. I've always treated as an upsell I hated but now that I am properly equipped, I chase them pretty hard.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I've done 3 roof cleanings this year, so far the most I have done in a year. I suspect as roof shingles continue in expense - roof cleaning will become a more attractive option. The hard part is making the public more aware of this service.

·
6,326 Posts
Down here HOA's have there regulations on keeping their neighborhoods clean.They will issue a letter telling the HO it's time to clean your roof or driveway or paint your house.
So usually when I get a call from someone in this situation it starts the ball rolling for a few more.
Ken, it's like the painting.Very competetive! Every transient with a truck is a painter.
Many people hire the handy man who destroys their palms.Then they tell all their friends not to have it done because the process kills you landscaping.
I had 1 incident this year. Burnt some leaves on a ladys bushes but I forwarned her that this might happen.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool video, Aaron. It shows the importance of a grounds guy when performing a roof cleaning.

What size surface cleaner and how does it perform with the 4 gpm?

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aaaron, the general rule of thumb is 1 gpm for every 4" of surface cleaner. (24" SC would be best run with 6 gpm etc) Up to that size you will find you can move quickly.

I've run this one on our ten and you can practically run behind it.

Attachments

Reactions: aaron61

·
Exterior Restoration
188 Posts
It seems to do well although I have nothing to compare it to. Would you recommend a different set up for residential? I don't know everything about pressure washing but I know gpm seems to be king.
A 4gpm pressure washer is probably the most you'll need for residential service unless your company cleans a lot of driveways and patios. I have had problems with water flow on 4gpm washers.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts